1. Big Cartoon Forum

You WIll Need To Reset Your Password!!!

We just moved hosts on this system, and this has caused a few updates. One is the way we encode and store the encoded passwords.

Your old passwords will NOT work. You will need to reset your password. This is normal. Just click on reset password from the log in screen. Should be smooth as silk to do...

Sorry for the hassle.

Dave Koch
  2. Big Cartoon Forum

Are You Just Hanging Out?

Just lurking? Join the club, we'd love to have you in the Big Cartoon Forum! Sign up is easy- just enter your name and password.... or join using your Facebook account!

Membership has it's privileges... you can post and get your questions answered directly. But you can also join our community, and help other people with their questions, You can add to the discussion. And it's free! So join today!

Dave Koch
  3. Big Cartoon Forum

Other Side Of Maleficent

I have been looking forward to Maleficent with equal amounts of anticipation and dread. On one hand, she is easily my favorite Disney villain, so cold and so pure, and I want desperately to see more of her and her back-story. On the other hand, she is easily my favorite Disney villain, and I would hate to see her parodied, taken lightly or ultimately destroyed in a film that does not understand this great character. The good news is that this film almost gets it right; but that is also the bad news.

4. Big Cartoon Forum

BCDB Hits 150K Entries

It took a while, but we are finally here! The Big Cartoon DataBase hit the milestone of 150,000 entries earlier today with the addition of the cartoon The Polish Language. This film was added to BCDB on May 9th, 2014 at 4:23 PM.

5. Big Cartoon Forum

Warner Brings Back Animated Stone-Age Family

Funnyman Will Ferrell and partner Adam McKay are working on bringing back everyone’s favorite stone-age family. The duo’s production company Gary Sanchez Productions is in development on a new Flintstones animated feature.

6. Big Cartoon Forum

Disney To Feast In France

The follow up to Disney’s 2013 Academy Award Winning short Paperman has been announced, and it will premiere at France’s Annecy International Animated Film Festival. Titled The Feast, the short looks to be based on the same stylized CG techniques used on last years Paperman, a more natural and hand-drawn look to computer animation.

7. Big Cartoon Forum

Renegades of Animation: Pat Sullivan

Pat Sullivan became famous worldwide for his creation of Felix the Cat. What most animation histories gloss over is Sullivan’s checkered past and longtime standing as a wildcat renegade. He didn’t follow the rules. And he made damn sure to fully protect his intellectual properties.

The Mystery Cartoon Character Game, ongoing.

Discussion in 'Free-For-All' started by oneuglybunny, Nov 4, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. peterhale

peterhale Moderator Staff Member I SUPPORT BCDB!

Spot on, Emeraldisle, it is Sweet Pea, or Swee'Pea as he is usually known.

The clues all refer to the infant's first screen appearance Little Swee'Pea (1936). Olive is too busy to go to the zoo with Popeye, and suggests he takes Swee'Pea instead. Swee'Pea happily wanders into the cages, and Popeye struggles to overcomes each dangerous animal only to discover the child at risk from another. Swee'Pea shows no fear of his pedicament, but when Popeye gets him back to Olive's house and tries to amuse him with a monkey-on-a-stick toy the baby bursts into tears. Olive beats Popeye with her broom for frightening Swee'Pea, and Popeye sings "There's no 'ifs' or 'maybes' - I'll never have babies! I'm Popeye the sailor man!"

Swee'Pea's propensity for putting himself in dangerous situations was the basis for several of his screen appearances in the Fleischer cartoons.

Over to you, Em!
  2. emeraldisle

emeraldisle Moderator Staff Member I SUPPORT BCDB!

Thanks, Pete. FYI, there was another cartoon about Sweet Pea at the zoo. This one had him going after a ball, and eventually saving Popeye form a gorilla after eating spinach. The ending was different, with Olive coming home, and finding animals from the zoo inside the house!

Now here's one I intended to post z year ago at this time:

1. I'm the title character of the only Thanksgiving special from my studio.

2. I travel across the sea with the humans, and even wear the same clothes.

3. My voice actor famously complained about hauling sixteen tons.
  3. emeraldisle

Ok, these are the last three clues:

4. I have the same name as my descendant, and one of the humans on board.

5. I meet another of my species, who's a tiny Native American.

6. Unlike most of the Christmas specials from my studio, mine is cel-animated.
  4. peterhale

Is nobody else playing? This is Willum Mouse Esquire, from the Rankin/Bass special The Mouse on the Mayflower.
    • Winner Winner x 1
  5. emeraldisle

Yes, Pete, you nailed it. William Mouse, Esquire, it is.

1. Self-explanatory.

2. He joined the Pilgrims on the Mayflower, and even dressed in mouse-sized Pilgrim garb.

3. He was voiced by Tennessee Ernie Ford, of "Sixteen Tons" fame.

4. He shares his name with his descendant, who narrates the story, and is also voiced by Ford. Also William Bradford, the leader of the Pilgrims.

5. He meets and befriends Thunder, a Native American mouse.

6. This special, like a few others from Rankin/Bass, was cel-animated instead of being filmed in Animagic.

Good job, Pete. You're up again. :)
  6. peterhale

Ok, let's try this one...

1) My tale is told by my adult self (in verse).

2) In the story I plan to win a lot of money racing.

3) When our secret is revealed my steed and I take flight and are never seen again.
  7. emeraldisle

This time, I haven't a single clue. I step aside so that someone else can answer.
  8. peterhale

No takers? More clues, then!

4) I got up early to go hunting in the mountains.

5) I finally catch my quarry - after it has caught me.

6) My new steed likes to share my drink.
    Last edited: Nov 15, 2014
  9. emeraldisle

Still don't have it. This is clearly one that I've never seen.
  10. peterhale

NB: I've just amended clue 5 - prey was not the right word!
    • Like Like x 1
  11. Glowworm

Glowworm Moderator Staff Member I SUPPORT BCDB!

I am sorry, I really don't have this one.
  12. oneuglybunny

oneuglybunny Moderator Staff Member Forum Member

Neither do I. Offhand, this sounds like a horse, but the part about seeking one in the mountains tends to contradict that. I have this nutty notion we're talking about a bird of some kind, similar to Kevin from Pixar's Up, entered as a racing biped / quadruped disguised as another species. Y'know, like putting an ostrich in a ratty horse costume, and entering it in the Kentucky Derby ... and hope that nobody checks closely. :confused:
  13. peterhale

Ah, OUB - so close, and yet at the same time so far away...

Final clues...

7) When I saw its wings protruding from the nest, I thought it must be the biggest condor in all of...

8) But I wasn't prepared for what I saw next.

9) My story is part of a home movie birthday present watched by one of three birds.
  14. emeraldisle

I know this now, but I'll only supply the answer if no one else gets it.
  15. saltyboot

saltyboot A Moderating Moderator Staff Member Forum Member

The steed sounds like a Pegasus, but I'm having a hard time finding a match.
  16. emeraldisle

Ok. Now that it's after midnight, and no one else has guessed, I'll post the answer. It's the Little Gauchito.
    • Winner Winner x 1
  17. peterhale

It is indeed the Little Gauchito.

1) The narrator is "an old gaucho from Uruguay". The narration is (or was written to be) in rhyme, but this is concealed by the narrator's tendency to break off and add comments of his own, either digressions or attempts to get his on-screen younger self to keep up with the narration. When the gauchito's shadow appears on the clay oven the narrator identifies him: "Oh ho ho - you know who that is? That's me, when I was a little gauchito. Many, many years ago, of course."
    2) The little winged donkey can fly very fast, so the gauchito plans to enter it in races:
    "I decided to train him for racing
    Far out where nobody could see
    'Cause I planned to win thousands of pesos
    For this little burrito and me.
    I made brilliant plans for the future.
    We'd live like a couple of kings
    And I'd be the world's richest gaucho
    With my hands full of big diamond rings."
    3) The gauchito was just about to accept the 1000 peso prize money when the little burro flies up in the air to greet a hornero, dragging the gauchito with him. "Caramba! The jig was up!" The crowd grow angry at being cheated, and the burrito and the gauchito fly off into the sky. "And what became of the flying donkey, you ask? Neither him nor me was ever seen again as long as we lived. Adios, amigo."
    4) "And why was I up so early? Because I was going out hunting all alone."
    5) Despite the burrito's friendliness, the gauchito has great difficulty catching it - at one point falling off the high mountain ledge. Happily, the burrito flies down and catches him, returning him back to the ledge so that the game can continue.
    6) The flying burrito likes to share the gauchito's maté.
    7) "I could tell from the wings he was he was a least five meters from tip to tip. The biggest condor bird in all of...Caramba!"
    8) "What's this? I couldn't believe my eyes. No, it couldn't be. But there it was. I was looking face to face with a flying donkey."
    9) A present for Donald Duck, in the Disney package feature The Three Caballeros.
    One of the few Disney characters not to be given a name, as far as I can find. A second short, The Laughing Gauchito, was planned, and animation begun, but Walt decided the repetition of breaking glass was too monotonous and shelved it.

Well done, Em - another point and another turn are yours!
    Last edited: Nov 17, 2014
  18. emeraldisle

Thanks, Pete. Now it's time for another no-brainer:

1. Two days from now, I'll be 55 years old.

2. Although I'm often called by my nickname, I actually have the same first name as a gun-toting raccoon from one of this year's biggest movies.

3. When not having adventures, I introduce my sidekick as a know-it-all, a poetry reader, and a magician whose trick never works.
  19. Glowworm

Glowworm Moderator Staff Member I SUPPORT BCDB!

Rocky the flying squirrel of course!
    • Winner Winner x 1
  20. emeraldisle

Yep. You nailed it, Glowworm. Great job, once again. :)

1. "Rocky And His Friends," AKA "The Rocky And Bullwinkle" show premiered on November 19, 1959.

2. His full name is Rocket J Squirrel. So he does share his name with Rocket Raccoon from "Guardians Of The Galaxy."

3. He introduced the "Mr. Kn0o-It-All" and "Bullwinkle's Corner" segments, and was also interrupted by Bullwinkle's efforts to pull a rabbit out of a hat.-which never worked, as he pulled out a lion, tiger, rhino,, and Rocky.

So you get a long overdue turn, Glowworn.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.