1. Big Cartoon Forum

You WIll Need To Reset Your Password!!!

We just moved hosts on this system, and this has caused a few updates. One is the way we encode and store the encoded passwords.

Your old passwords will NOT work. You will need to reset your password. This is normal. Just click on reset password from the log in screen. Should be smooth as silk to do...

Sorry for the hassle.

Dave Koch
  2. Big Cartoon Forum

Are You Just Hanging Out?

Just lurking? Join the club, we'd love to have you in the Big Cartoon Forum! Sign up is easy- just enter your name and password.... or join using your Facebook account!

Membership has it's privileges... you can post and get your questions answered directly. But you can also join our community, and help other people with their questions, You can add to the discussion. And it's free! So join today!

Dave Koch
  3. Big Cartoon Forum

Other Side Of Maleficent

I have been looking forward to Maleficent with equal amounts of anticipation and dread. On one hand, she is easily my favorite Disney villain, so cold and so pure, and I want desperately to see more of her and her back-story. On the other hand, she is easily my favorite Disney villain, and I would hate to see her parodied, taken lightly or ultimately destroyed in a film that does not understand this great character. The good news is that this film almost gets it right; but that is also the bad news.

4. Big Cartoon Forum

BCDB Hits 150K Entries

It took a while, but we are finally here! The Big Cartoon DataBase hit the milestone of 150,000 entries earlier today with the addition of the cartoon The Polish Language. This film was added to BCDB on May 9th, 2014 at 4:23 PM.

5. Big Cartoon Forum

Warner Brings Back Animated Stone-Age Family

Funnyman Will Ferrell and partner Adam McKay are working on bringing back everyone’s favorite stone-age family. The duo’s production company Gary Sanchez Productions is in development on a new Flintstones animated feature.

6. Big Cartoon Forum

Disney To Feast In France

The follow up to Disney’s 2013 Academy Award Winning short Paperman has been announced, and it will premiere at France’s Annecy International Animated Film Festival. Titled The Feast, the short looks to be based on the same stylized CG techniques used on last years Paperman, a more natural and hand-drawn look to computer animation.

7. Big Cartoon Forum

Renegades of Animation: Pat Sullivan

Pat Sullivan became famous worldwide for his creation of Felix the Cat. What most animation histories gloss over is Sullivan’s checkered past and longtime standing as a wildcat renegade. He didn’t follow the rules. And he made damn sure to fully protect his intellectual properties.

The Mystery Cartoon Character Game, ongoing.

Discussion in 'Free-For-All' started by oneuglybunny, Nov 4, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. emeraldisle

emeraldisle Moderator Staff Member I SUPPORT BCDB!

Sorry, but my search for a bald soldier killed by aliens has led me nowhere.
  2. oneuglybunny

oneuglybunny Moderator Staff Member Forum Member

Well, this is one of those off-radar works. Last set of clues coming up...

7) The animated film in which this character appears first appeared in United States theaters within the last ten years (2005 to 2014). It grossed about $1 million in its opening weekend, but somehow never reached the $2 million mark, according to Box Office Mojo.

8) Googling or Yahooing or Binging "a bald soldier killed by aliens" won't find this character, because he wasn't killed by aliens. This character was killed while defending the aliens. We humans were the invaders in this story. Yeah, surprise. :jawdrop:

9) You know how some of animation's pioneers made most of their works as an auteur with a small support staff? Like Stuart Blackton or Emil Cohl or Lotte Reiniger? Same deal here: an animation student using mostly Maya software put most of the work together, needing only some post-production filtering and theater distributorship. Pretty good work for a n00b.
  3. emeraldisle

Still don't have it, sorry to say. Maybe someone else found the time to see it.
  4. FluidGirl

FluidGirl Moderator Staff Member Forum Member New Member

Beats me. I don't know much out of animated movies in the past 10 years, as I think I've only seen two in between 2005 and now.
  5. saltyboot

saltyboot A Moderating Moderator Staff Member Forum Member

I'm going to take a chance and say it's Lieutenant Stanton.
    • Winner Winner x 1
  6. oneuglybunny

That chance pays off. This is Lieutenant Stewart Stanton from the 2009 film Battle For Terra. Stanton is bald because he's a soldier, and because his creator didn't have the tool for rendering hair or fur. Stanton meets Mala, an alien girl with no feet; her people essentially swim in their planet's atmosphere, which is too dense for humans to breathe. General Hemmer is glad to get Stanton back, and calls him a hero for gleaning intelligence about the aliens. Most of the writing, scene planning, character design and world-building are the work of Aristomenis Tsirbas, working with Maya. Lionsgate Entertainment handled the theater screenings and DVD release.

Good researching, Saltyboot. It gets you a well-earned +1, and control of the board. And it thwarts my effort for a third stumper, too. :p
  7. saltyboot

Thanks OUB. That one took a bit of research. Also, it was my pleasure to thwart. ;)

I'm the villain, but I'm not really evil.
    I have a pretty unicorn binder that I had since I was a child.
    I LOVE making checklists.
  8. emeraldisle

Again, I'm totally stumped by these clues. I hope another user knows this one.
  9. oneuglybunny

Hmm, this could almost be Elmyra from the Tiny Toons universe, except Elmyra doesn't make checklists, as far as I know. Her methodology is largely prance along, encounter something cute, and huggle the life out of it. I'll have to keep thinking, headache notwithstanding.
  10. Glowworm

Glowworm Moderator Staff Member I SUPPORT BCDB!

This would be The Bowler Hat Guy from Meet the Robbinsons. His actual name is Michael "Goob" Yagoobian--which is a bit of a spoiler I might add.
    • Winner Winner x 1
  11. saltyboot

Yep, it's The Bowler Hat Guy. The only villain I know who keeps a unicorn binder.

Your turn!
  12. Glowworm

Thanks, the unicorn binder was the clue that did it for me.

Give me a little more time to come up with a new character--I must leave for volunteering soon.
  13. Glowworm

As promised, here we go.
    1. We are a duo--however we have been seen in a few shorts without the other.
    2. As the usual case with duos--one of us is the leader, the other is the follower and the punching bag.
    3. We fall into the category of crooks and gangsters.
  14. emeraldisle

Clearly, I'll have a lot of searching to do for these guys.

And it didn't take long at all. It's Rocky and Muggsy, if I'm not mistaken.
    • Winner Winner x 1
  15. Glowworm

Indeed, it's Rocky and Mugsy. Rocky was the reason I kept repeating "Shut up" around the house--although Boris Badenov was responsible for that too.
    1. Rocky and Mugsy are generally thought of as a duo--however, Rocky first debuted without Mugsy in shorts such as "Golden Yeggs" and "Catty Cornered." In these shorts, Rocky had an entire gang. Mugsy debuted in the short "Bugs and Thugs" and has been with Rocky ever since. However, in the short "Napoleon Bunny-Part" Napoleon sends a very familiar looking guard after Bugs Bunny. Although he is never mentioned by name--it's clearly Mugsy.

2. Rocky is the tough guy--Mugsy follows orders--and gets beaten up if he does something wrong.

3. Self- explanatory.
  16. emeraldisle

Thanks, Glowworm. Now here are some clues I can't believe I'm posting:

1. I'm the only cartoon character in a live-action film.

2. I threaten and chase those on a quest for a sacred object, only to disappear when my animator has a heart attack.

3, Ah, but my fate is nothing compared to that of a deadly rabbit.
  17. Glowworm

That would be the Legendary Black Beast of Aaaaarrrrrrggghhh from Monty Python and the Holy Grail. I had to look up the monster's name--but definitely an unforgettable part of that movie. "He must have died while carving it."
    • Winner Winner x 1
  18. emeraldisle

Good job on getting it so quickly, Glowworm. :) All clues are self-explanatory, so you get another turn.
  19. Glowworm

Yeah, It's a good movie--got to love that evil bunny though! :)

Here's one now that I'm certain this character is an animated one.

1. I have the air of a serial killer.
    2. Don't worry, all I want is your beer.
    3. I constantly sing a familiar part of a well known Frank Sinatra song.
  20. emeraldisle

As well as I know Frankie's songs, I can't figure this one out.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.