1. Big Cartoon Forum

You WIll Need To Reset Your Password!!!

We just moved hosts on this system, and this has caused a few updates. One is the way we encode and store the encoded passwords.

Your old passwords will NOT work. You will need to reset your password. This is normal. Just click on reset password from the log in screen. Should be smooth as silk to do...

Sorry for the hassle.

Dave Koch
  2. Big Cartoon Forum

Are You Just Hanging Out?

Just lurking? Join the club, we'd love to have you in the Big Cartoon Forum! Sign up is easy- just enter your name and password.... or join using your Facebook account!

Membership has it's privileges... you can post and get your questions answered directly. But you can also join our community, and help other people with their questions, You can add to the discussion. And it's free! So join today!

Dave Koch
  3. Big Cartoon Forum

Other Side Of Maleficent

I have been looking forward to Maleficent with equal amounts of anticipation and dread. On one hand, she is easily my favorite Disney villain, so cold and so pure, and I want desperately to see more of her and her back-story. On the other hand, she is easily my favorite Disney villain, and I would hate to see her parodied, taken lightly or ultimately destroyed in a film that does not understand this great character. The good news is that this film almost gets it right; but that is also the bad news.

4. Big Cartoon Forum

BCDB Hits 150K Entries

It took a while, but we are finally here! The Big Cartoon DataBase hit the milestone of 150,000 entries earlier today with the addition of the cartoon The Polish Language. This film was added to BCDB on May 9th, 2014 at 4:23 PM.

5. Big Cartoon Forum

Warner Brings Back Animated Stone-Age Family

Funnyman Will Ferrell and partner Adam McKay are working on bringing back everyone’s favorite stone-age family. The duo’s production company Gary Sanchez Productions is in development on a new Flintstones animated feature.

6. Big Cartoon Forum

Disney To Feast In France

The follow up to Disney’s 2013 Academy Award Winning short Paperman has been announced, and it will premiere at France’s Annecy International Animated Film Festival. Titled The Feast, the short looks to be based on the same stylized CG techniques used on last years Paperman, a more natural and hand-drawn look to computer animation.

7. Big Cartoon Forum

Renegades of Animation: Pat Sullivan

Pat Sullivan became famous worldwide for his creation of Felix the Cat. What most animation histories gloss over is Sullivan’s checkered past and longtime standing as a wildcat renegade. He didn’t follow the rules. And he made damn sure to fully protect his intellectual properties.

The Mystery Cartoon Character Game, ongoing.

Discussion in 'Free-For-All' started by oneuglybunny, Nov 4, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Glowworm

Glowworm Moderator Staff Member I SUPPORT BCDB!

I knew I'd be clobbering myself on the Sheriff of Notingham--I was almost certain it was him too--except that the source I was reading did mention he was stripped of his title position so then I wasn't so sure anymore.
    Last edited: Sep 16, 2014
  2. FluidGirl

FluidGirl Moderator Staff Member Forum Member New Member

I have the same trouble, Glowworm. I don't get it, until somebody else does. Then the dent in my wall where I bang my head against it gets bigger (j/k about the dent in the wall. I'm in one of my punchy moods)

Definitely a no-brainer, Em. 'Tis indeed George, George, George of the Jungle, WATCH OUT FOR THAT TREE! (wham!) Ehhhh. Sorry, George of the Jungle is one of my favorites, both cartoon-wise, and theme-song wise. Anyway, Em, your turn, should you choose to accept it . . . . .
    (somebody turn me off!)
  3. emeraldisle

emeraldisle Moderator Staff Member I SUPPORT BCDB!

I do accept, Fluidgirl. So here's a good set of clues:

1. Although I really shouldn't be, I'm alive and well and living in the Amazon rain forest.

2. I go after the natives, and carry them off.

3. My wheelchair-bound human friend just keeps telling me to kill.
  4. peterhale

peterhale Moderator Staff Member I SUPPORT BCDB!

Might this be Turu the Terrible, the pteranodon from Jonny Quest?
    • Winner Winner x 1
  5. emeraldisle

Yes, Pete, you got it. Turu it most certainly is. All clues are self-explanatory, so it's your turn again! Great job! :)
  6. peterhale

Sorry for the delay, but I answered on my way to bed!

1) I am the hero of my segment.
    2) I set off on a forbidden expedition, joined by three companions.
    3) In this version, one of my companions doesn't actually get eaten.
    Last edited: Sep 18, 2014
  7. emeraldisle

I really haven't even the slightest idea.
  8. peterhale

Well, I made one mistake already! Please note I have corrected clue 3!

Here are the rest of the clues...

4) I succeed, despite my age and the nature of my weapon making this seem unlikely.
    5) The title of my segment first appears in Russian.
    6) I am the string quartet.
  9. emeraldisle

Ah, it's Peter from the "Peter And The Wolf" segment of "Make Mine Music."
    • Winner Winner x 1
  10. peterhale

Yes it is!

1) Make Mine Music being one of the 'package' features, consisting of 10 musical shorts.
    2) His grandfather forbade him to go out, for fear of the wolf. Peter is joined in his hunt by a bird, a duck and a cat.
    3) In Prokofiev's original version the duck gets eaten alive, and can be heard quacking inside the wolf during the final procession. In Disney's version, Sonia the duck is presumed eaten, but it turns out she'd escaped and was hiding in the hollow tree.
    4) Peter is a child armed with a pop-gun, but he does manage to catch the wolf.
    5) Narrator Sterling Holloway is brought to a halt by the Russian title "Петя и волк", which then changes to English, allowing him to continue.
    6) The original work was commissioned to get children interested in orchestral music, and so the characters are represented by different instruments.

Back to you, Emeraldisle!
  11. emeraldisle

Thanks, Pete. Now for a real easy set of clues:

1. We're the noisiest trio man has ever known.

2. You can tell us apart by the clothes we wear.

3. Our product is mentioned in a classic Police song that also repeatedly mentions a dark Scottish lake.
  12. peterhale

Great clues! It's Snap! Crackle! and Pop! the Rice Krispies elves!
    • Winner Winner x 1
  13. emeraldisle

Yes, Pete. You nailed it again. Greet job. :) Now to clarify:

1. Self-explanatory.

2. Snap is dressed in white. Crackle wears a blue suit and a striped hat. Pop wears brown clothes.

3. "Synchronicity II" contains the line, "We have to shout above the din of our Rice Krispies."

So you go again, Pete.
  14. peterhale

Here's one...

1) I'm made of marble, but I come to life when bidden.
    2) My series of shorts began as theatrical releases, but was continued for television.
    3) The Aquabats sing of me.
  15. emeraldisle

This time, I'll let someone else answer, for I haven't a clue.
  16. oneuglybunny

oneuglybunny Moderator Staff Member Forum Member

Aha, this is Luno. "O Winged Horse of marble white / Take me on a magic flight."
    • Winner Winner x 1
  17. peterhale

Luno it is!
    1) He becomes a life-size flying horse when Tim recites those words.
    2) 6 Lumo shorts were made by Terrytoons for theatrical release, starting in 1963, and another 12 were made as fillers for TV series.
    3) ...on ther album Myths, Legends and Other Amazing Adventures.

All yours. OUB!
  18. oneuglybunny

Wonderful, and thanks for remembering that series. Oh, and extra congrats on reaching the 100 Correct Responses mark: Bravo! [toast]

And now that I'm at 90 CR's, I'll unleash this character from a virgin feature film. Id est, one we haven't tapped into yet.

1) This character has appeared only once, in a completely animated feature film. This is a male human character, and is unlikely to recur because he dies in the story, grave marker and all.

2) For good reason, this character is bald. No hairs on his head anywhere. This is routine for those in the Armed Forces.

3) One thing this character learns: having no hair isn't so bad. He meets another character who has no feet.
  19. emeraldisle

Once again, I haven't any clues. So someone else should be able to figure it out.
  20. oneuglybunny

Hmm, I don't see nor hear much figgerin', so I reckon I'd better pony up more clues.

4) Since this character is a soldier, his Commanding Officer gets to congratulate him on a job well done. The CO even calls him "a hero," though he stops short of pinning a medal on this character, because the CO is too petty and too ornery.

5) As soldiers sometimes do, this character meets a cute girl, and takes a liking to her. Not right away, of course, but warmer feeling grow over time as he learns more about her. It helps a lot that this character has a strong moral code, and an even stronger conscience.

6) The feature film is one of those Science Fiction stories about invading aliens from outer space that come to conduct fiendish experiments, shoot up the scenery, wipe out the inhabitants and conquer the world. Fortunately, this character rises to the defense, and fights like a soldier, saving the good guys. This bravery, of course, gets him killed. Can't have everything, y'know.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.