1. Big Cartoon Forum

You WIll Need To Reset Your Password!!!

We just moved hosts on this system, and this has caused a few updates. One is the way we encode and store the encoded passwords.

Your old passwords will NOT work. You will need to reset your password. This is normal. Just click on reset password from the log in screen. Should be smooth as silk to do...

Sorry for the hassle.

Dave Koch
  2. Big Cartoon Forum

Are You Just Hanging Out?

Just lurking? Join the club, we'd love to have you in the Big Cartoon Forum! Sign up is easy- just enter your name and password.... or join using your Facebook account!

Membership has it's privileges... you can post and get your questions answered directly. But you can also join our community, and help other people with their questions, You can add to the discussion. And it's free! So join today!

Dave Koch
  3. Big Cartoon Forum

Other Side Of Maleficent

I have been looking forward to Maleficent with equal amounts of anticipation and dread. On one hand, she is easily my favorite Disney villain, so cold and so pure, and I want desperately to see more of her and her back-story. On the other hand, she is easily my favorite Disney villain, and I would hate to see her parodied, taken lightly or ultimately destroyed in a film that does not understand this great character. The good news is that this film almost gets it right; but that is also the bad news.

4. Big Cartoon Forum

BCDB Hits 150K Entries

It took a while, but we are finally here! The Big Cartoon DataBase hit the milestone of 150,000 entries earlier today with the addition of the cartoon The Polish Language. This film was added to BCDB on May 9th, 2014 at 4:23 PM.

5. Big Cartoon Forum

Warner Brings Back Animated Stone-Age Family

Funnyman Will Ferrell and partner Adam McKay are working on bringing back everyone’s favorite stone-age family. The duo’s production company Gary Sanchez Productions is in development on a new Flintstones animated feature.

6. Big Cartoon Forum

Disney To Feast In France

The follow up to Disney’s 2013 Academy Award Winning short Paperman has been announced, and it will premiere at France’s Annecy International Animated Film Festival. Titled The Feast, the short looks to be based on the same stylized CG techniques used on last years Paperman, a more natural and hand-drawn look to computer animation.

7. Big Cartoon Forum

Renegades of Animation: Pat Sullivan

Pat Sullivan became famous worldwide for his creation of Felix the Cat. What most animation histories gloss over is Sullivan’s checkered past and longtime standing as a wildcat renegade. He didn’t follow the rules. And he made damn sure to fully protect his intellectual properties.

The Mystery Cartoon Character Game, ongoing.

Discussion in 'Free-For-All' started by oneuglybunny, Nov 4, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. peterhale

peterhale Moderator Staff Member I SUPPORT BCDB!

A fine brick, but no cigar! Time for more clues...

4) My animators went on to better things. Indeed, one, who had never animated before, eventually wrote the book!
    5) My producer started his studio in his (popular author) father's garage. But his (socialite) mother footed the bill.
    6) I have a big round face and little round ears. Although I am ursine, I have an inevitable similarity to the dominant character of the day!
    • Funny Funny x 1
  2. emeraldisle

emeraldisle Moderator Staff Member I SUPPORT BCDB!

Let's see. Ursine means bear, but I can't find any cartoon bears that match the clues.
  3. peterhale

For anyone using a search engine to track down this character, don't overlook the wording of my preamble - clue zero, as it were.
  4. emeraldisle

Sorry, Pete, bot "Clue Zero" isn't helping one bit.
  5. saltyboot

saltyboot A Moderating Moderator Staff Member Forum Member

This is a hard one. I've got some research to do.
  6. peterhale

Yes, this is really bad of me. I am rather ashamed.:sorry:

When I Googled "animated cartoon obscure bear" a site about the character came up in 5th place - what I failed to realise was that it was prioritized because Google remembered I had looked at it earlier, when I was checking out the clues. I thought it would come up on any search, but not so!

Here are the final clues:

7) Van Beuren's Cubby Bear was created a couple of years after me. Was his the success I could have had?
    8) My animators included Tom and Robert McKimson, Jack Zander and Preston Blair.
    9) At first the studio seemed to be doing so well that the producer moved it from his western-writer dad's garage to a building on Beverly Boulevard.
  7. emeraldisle

It's ok, Pete. I finally found the answer. It's Binko The Bear Cub.
    • Winner Winner x 1
  8. oneuglybunny

oneuglybunny Moderator Staff Member Forum Member

It's likely that EmeraldIsle has once again identified this obscure character. Since PeterHale made a point of mentioning California, my mind ran to the state flag of California, which has a grizzly bear upon a mountain. I would have Yahoo'd (not Google; too many tracking scripts) this bear, thinking the studio was tapped to produce some "hooray for California" animations, partially funded by the state's department of commerce and industry. But of course, at this point, this speculation is all tangental at best.
  9. peterhale

It is indeed Binko the Bear Cub - a character so obscure neither he nor his studio are listed in BCDB!

The clues explained:
    1) The titles of the 4 films are: Arabian Nightmare, Hot Toe Molly, Binko the Toreador and Sand Witches. David Gerstein has discovered a copy of Hot Toe Molly (Hot Tamale - gettit?:)) in a private collection. An April Fool post claimed to have found Arabian Nightmare, the other completed film.
    2) Bob McKimson recalled that he and brother Tom left Disney's to join Romer Grey because he was paying $80 a week. They were earning $25 a week at Disney's and Walt offered to double it to keep them, but couldn't go any higher. So it would seem that Grey was throwing money at his project. Given that he had no distribution deal the situation couldn't last - when his start-up money ran out and his mother refused to give him any more, the studio closed.
    3) As explained above.
    4) To quote Michael Mallory's AWN article, "The talent roster Grey managed to assemble for his studio reads like a Golden Age who's who: Preston Blair, Pete Burness, Ken Harris, Jack Zander, Bob McKimson, Tom McKimson, Cal Dalton, Bob Stokes, Al Gordon, Paul Allen, Stanley Overton, Lou Zukovsky, Volney White, Andy Partridge, Frank Powers, Bob Simonds, Bruce Smiley and Riley Thompson. For many of the artists, several of whom (like Romer Grey himself) were barely out of their teens at the time, it was their first experience with animation." The Walter T. Foster how-to art book #26, Animation by Preston Blair, was for years the bible for would-be animators.
    5) Romer Grey was the son of Zane Grey. Apparently Zane's sons felt overshadowed by their father's success.
    6) Binko was pretty much a Mickey Mouse clone.
    7) The Romer Grey Pictures, Ltd studio lasted from 1930 to 1931. Van Beuren's Cubby first appeared in 1933. Volney White went to New York, to join Paul Terry. Did he take the idea of a bear cub with him?
    8) As mentioned in 4.
    9) Preston Blair recalled the move in an interview. Volney White's brother had a truck which they loaded up with the studio contents. Volney's sibling insisted that Preston ride on the back of the truck to keep an eye on the load. Because the truck was full, Preston hung on to the side, and came close to being crushed when the brother took a corner too tightly.

References to Romer Grey's studio had cropped up in the reminiscences of the animators involved, but it wasn't until plumber Rollin Nesmith, working in the basement of the Zane house, by then in other hands, got curious about the boxes stored there. He happened to have previously worked as a sketch artist and recognised the importance of the stuff he found - it was all the artwork and documentation from the studio when it closed. Since it was all junk as far as the current owners were concerned, Nesmith removed it all and spent the next decade archiving it.

Read Michael Mallory's AWN article here.

Binko.JPG

Binko the Bear Cub lights up for Hot Toe Mollie

Thanks for saving my face, Emeraldisle! Over to you...
  10. emeraldisle

You're welcome, Pete, and thanks. Now on to the next one:

1. Officially, I'm the oldest made-for-TV cartoon character.

2. My sidekick is one who'd devour me in real life.

3. My buddy and I preceded a cartoon duo from another famous studio by eight years, and a way more popular one by ten years.
    Last edited: Aug 19, 2014
  11. oneuglybunny

oneuglybunny Moderator Staff Member Forum Member

Hmm, could this be Ignatz Mouse, from the Krazy Kat series? I know they began life as newspaper strip characters, under contract to the Hearst publishing empire. I know Hearst pretty much strong-armed Fred Quimby into making cartoons based on his property, The Katzenjammer Kids; I think it likely Hearst also thugged another studio into making cartoons around his Krazy Kat property.
  12. emeraldisle

No, OUB. Not Ignatz. I have a totally different character in mind.
  13. saltyboot

This sounds like Crusader Rabbit.
    • Winner Winner x 1
  14. emeraldisle

Absolutely right, Saltyboot! Great job! :) Now for the clues:

1. He's the oldest made-for-TV cartoon character, going back to 1948.

2. His sidekick is Ragland T. "Rags" Tiger.

3. Officially premiering on TV in 1949, he preceded Hanna-Barbera's "Ruff And Reddy" by eight years, and the very similar "Rocky And Bullwinkle," by ten years.

Take it away, Salty!
  15. saltyboot

Thanks! Now here's mine.

The title of my short is a play on an American patriotic song.
    This was the last theatrical cartoon my director did.
    I am an equine character.
  16. emeraldisle

Can't figure it out. Besides, I've had two turns in less than five days, so someone else should take a stab at it.
  17. Glowworm

Glowworm Moderator Staff Member I SUPPORT BCDB!

I've got it it, I remember reading about this one on a cartoon blog a while back.
    It's Charlie Horse form "It's a Grand Old Nag"
    1. The title is a play on You're a Grand Old Flag
    2. This was Bob LCampett's last theatrical short.
    3. Equine means horse, the main character is a horse.
    • Winner Winner x 1
  18. saltyboot

That is correct! I also read about the cartoon on a blog.
  19. Glowworm

Glowworm Moderator Staff Member I SUPPORT BCDB!

Here we go

1. We are a father and son team.
    2. Yep, the usual kind where the son looks exactly like a small version of the father--and while in this case there is mention of a mother, none is to be seen.
    3. The father is vaguely based upon a (possibly) real fabulist. The son is merely a creative add on.
  20. emeraldisle

I do know this, but once again, I'm stepping aside for someone else.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.