1. Big Cartoon Forum

You WIll Need To Reset Your Password!!!

We just moved hosts on this system, and this has caused a few updates. One is the way we encode and store the encoded passwords.

Your old passwords will NOT work. You will need to reset your password. This is normal. Just click on reset password from the log in screen. Should be smooth as silk to do...

Sorry for the hassle.

Dave Koch
  2. Big Cartoon Forum

Are You Just Hanging Out?

Just lurking? Join the club, we'd love to have you in the Big Cartoon Forum! Sign up is easy- just enter your name and password.... or join using your Facebook account!

Membership has it's privileges... you can post and get your questions answered directly. But you can also join our community, and help other people with their questions, You can add to the discussion. And it's free! So join today!

Dave Koch
  3. Big Cartoon Forum

Other Side Of Maleficent

I have been looking forward to Maleficent with equal amounts of anticipation and dread. On one hand, she is easily my favorite Disney villain, so cold and so pure, and I want desperately to see more of her and her back-story. On the other hand, she is easily my favorite Disney villain, and I would hate to see her parodied, taken lightly or ultimately destroyed in a film that does not understand this great character. The good news is that this film almost gets it right; but that is also the bad news.

4. Big Cartoon Forum

BCDB Hits 150K Entries

It took a while, but we are finally here! The Big Cartoon DataBase hit the milestone of 150,000 entries earlier today with the addition of the cartoon The Polish Language. This film was added to BCDB on May 9th, 2014 at 4:23 PM.

5. Big Cartoon Forum

Warner Brings Back Animated Stone-Age Family

Funnyman Will Ferrell and partner Adam McKay are working on bringing back everyone’s favorite stone-age family. The duo’s production company Gary Sanchez Productions is in development on a new Flintstones animated feature.

6. Big Cartoon Forum

Disney To Feast In France

The follow up to Disney’s 2013 Academy Award Winning short Paperman has been announced, and it will premiere at France’s Annecy International Animated Film Festival. Titled The Feast, the short looks to be based on the same stylized CG techniques used on last years Paperman, a more natural and hand-drawn look to computer animation.

7. Big Cartoon Forum

Renegades of Animation: Pat Sullivan

Pat Sullivan became famous worldwide for his creation of Felix the Cat. What most animation histories gloss over is Sullivan’s checkered past and longtime standing as a wildcat renegade. He didn’t follow the rules. And he made damn sure to fully protect his intellectual properties.

The Mystery Cartoon Character Game, ongoing.

Discussion in 'Free-For-All' started by oneuglybunny, Nov 4, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. peterhale

peterhale Moderator Staff Member I SUPPORT BCDB!

Thanks, OUB - sorry no one guessed it (I know how it feels)!
    A most intriguing series - I've just watched ep. 1. Victorique is definitely a Sherlock Holmes, what with the pipe she sucks on while making her deductions and all, but with mystical overtones. I must find time to see the rest.

Here's a rather different character...

1) I'm the caricature of a celebrity.

2) I am the key witness in a murder trial.

3) In a later short I encourage a tortoise.
    • Friendly Friendly x 1
  2. emeraldisle

emeraldisle Moderator Staff Member I SUPPORT BCDB!

Found it! It's Jenny Wren.

1. She's a caricature of Mae West.

2. She's the key witness in "Who Killed Cock Robin?"

3. She resurfaced a year later, in "Toby Tortoise Returns."
    Last edited: Jun 26, 2014
    • Winner Winner x 1
  3. peterhale

peterhale Moderator Staff Member I SUPPORT BCDB!

Oh, you're good!

Absolutely right, on all counts - your point and the stage...
  4. emeraldisle

Thanks, Pete. Now here's one I've wanted to post for a long, long time.

1. I have an adversarial relationship with my brother.

2. I'm always scratching myself, hence my name.

3. My little partner in crime is actually a Biggy.
  5. oneuglybunny

oneuglybunny Moderator Staff Member Forum Member

This would be Itchy Brother, brother to King Leonardo from The King And Odie by Total Television Studios, which also produced Underdog and The Go-Go Gophers, among others. Itchy's itching at times is so severe that he's lost much of his leonine mane. Itchy tends to act as the primary flunky to the scheming opportunist Biggy Rat. An interesting parallel develops here: should Itchy succeed somehow in gaining the throne, he'd be the figurehead monarch while Biggy Rat would be chief of operations, the real muscle behind the crown. Currently, King Leonardo sits on the throne, while Odie Colognie is the one that orchestrates matters of state.
    • Winner Winner x 1
  6. emeraldisle

Score another one for you, OUB! It's Itchy, all right, for all the reasons you posted. Great job! The board's all yours again. :)
  7. oneuglybunny

Ah, a chance to redeem myself. Okay, I'll think up a goodly character, and post clues after Work, which will be about 10 pm EDT. :D

As promised, I've discovered a goodly character, from a source not yet tapped. (Yes!)

1) This character has appeared only once to date in an animated feature film.

2) By "goodly," I mean that this character is a protagonist, a good guy in the story. Actually, there are a goodly number of good guys in this film, but I'm focusing on one particular, special one.

3) Oodles of adventures, perils and impending doom await this character. Fortunately, he's outfitted with safety gear, so he's decently prepared for the hazards of heroics.
    Last edited: Jun 27, 2014
  8. emeraldisle

I haven't the foggiest. I thought of one, but he doesn't match every single clue.
  9. Glowworm

Glowworm Moderator Staff Member I SUPPORT BCDB!

Hmm, going to wait for the next set of clues myself to see how this one turns out.
  10. oneuglybunny

Huh, no bells ringing. Fine, I'll knuckle down and funnel your focus on the foremost character.

4) Any number of other heroes would have beaten down the villain, crushed his schemes and smashed his nefarious devices. Not this character, nosiree. This character approaches the villain politely, extends a friendly hand, and reasons with the villain until he sees the error of his ways.

5) This character has no special abilities, no super powers, no array of gadgets and gimmicks, despite others in the film having such. That's right, there are adventurers and mercenaries and warriors and even superheroes in this character's universe. However, it falls to a nice, normal Joe to save the world. And he does. :)

6) Pretty much anything this character could want or need or use is there for the taking. The trick is to recognize the resources at hand, and exploit them.
  11. emeraldisle

If I'm right, it's Emmett from "The Lego Movie."
  12. oneuglybunny

Whaddaya mean "if"? This is 100% Emmett from The Lego Movie. This is his only appearance so far, though the box office bonanza is sure to spawn a sequel or three. The many other good guys are the Master Builders, though Emmett isn't one of these at first. He is, however, The Special, according to Vitruvius. And adventures? Emmett gets to ride then drive Wyldstyle's rocket cycle, and he gets to visit Middle Zealand and Cloudcuckooland while flying in the Bat-plane, and Emmett nearly gets melted by the Bad Cop for wearing the Piece of Resistance. Good thing Emmett has a construction worker's safety harness.

Pretty much, all the other Master Builders who tried to thwart Lord Business did so with stealth or a direct assault. Emmett simply reasons with the man. Superman, Batman, Metalbeard, Unikitty ... all failed to stop Lord Business and his TAKOS Tuesday plan. And since absolutely everything in Emmett's universe is made of LEGO's, he can build anything he needs and cobble it together in seconds. Must be nice.

So EmeraldIsle collects her 223rd point, and takes control of the board. Thanks for getting that; I was worried that I'd forgotten how to give good clues. *phew*
  13. emeraldisle

Thanks a lot, OUB. Now here are some clues I decided to post after seeing something for the first time in years nearly a week ago:

1. My wife and kids are just like me, in a good way.

2. My animated series was inspired by, but is not a spinoff of, two live action shows from the '70's.

3. My principal nemesis named himself after a beetle that symbolizes Egyptian royalty.
  14. oneuglybunny

Aha, this is definitely Amadeus Sharp, PhD, the genius scientist and father of The Bionic Six. Originally, it was just test pilot Jack Bennett who got the upgrade, but after an accident in the Himalayas, the good doctor refitted his whole family with bionics. Gee, thanks, Dad. This series came on the heels of The Six Million Dollar Man and The Bionic Woman. Doc Sharp's nemesis is his brother, Wilmer, who renamed himself Doctor Scarab.

Just out of curiosity: what exactly separates a "genius scientist" from a "mad scientist"? I know my wife would never sit still for being rebuilt. o_O
  15. emeraldisle

Sorry, OUB. You got the show right, but not the character.
  16. oneuglybunny

Oh, you're right, it's been awhile. Duh on me. :wacky: This is Jack Bennett, the good doctor's first bionics recipient, dubbed Bionic-1.

Now you see how badly rusted my head gears are. :shame:
    • Winner Winner x 1
  17. emeraldisle

Yep, it's Jack Bennett. And all that matters is that you scored again. So feel free to take another turn. Great job. :)
  18. oneuglybunny

Nice, I'm getting some breaks here, so I don't appear like a cartoon doofus. Thanks for the cupcakes. :)

Ah, this vein has been tapped once, but since it has a large cast, I'll start mining a new vein.

1) This character has appeared only once to date in an animated feature film.

2) This character qualifies as a good guy, despite being a con man, a saboteur, a forger, a wanted criminal with a known reputation .... I know that this criminal fellow ought to be a bad guy, but in comparison with the villain of the film, this character's only a delinquent.

3) A young lady gets inveigled into one of his schemes, and this character coaches her on how to work a hustle on a wealthy mark.
  19. emeraldisle

This time, I really don't have it. Besides, it's time someone else had a turn.
  20. oneuglybunny

Okay, enough with the mystery; let's ID this character.

4) This character is not American. Nope. Whole 'nother continent entirely.

5) Admittedly, this character starts out as a scoundrel, trying to pass off some scrappy orphan as a relative of a wealthy aristocrat to collect a boodle. Good news: this character has a change of heart, and seeks to reunite a broken family for real. No more fobbing off a fake.

6) It's easy to mistake this character's film for a Walt Disney production. It isn't. Though its principal director used to work for Disney, once upon a time.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.