1. Big Cartoon Forum

You WIll Need To Reset Your Password!!!

We just moved hosts on this system, and this has caused a few updates. One is the way we encode and store the encoded passwords.

Your old passwords will NOT work. You will need to reset your password. This is normal. Just click on reset password from the log in screen. Should be smooth as silk to do...

Sorry for the hassle.

Dave Koch
  2. Big Cartoon Forum

Are You Just Hanging Out?

Just lurking? Join the club, we'd love to have you in the Big Cartoon Forum! Sign up is easy- just enter your name and password.... or join using your Facebook account!

Membership has it's privileges... you can post and get your questions answered directly. But you can also join our community, and help other people with their questions, You can add to the discussion. And it's free! So join today!

Dave Koch
  3. Big Cartoon Forum

Other Side Of Maleficent

I have been looking forward to Maleficent with equal amounts of anticipation and dread. On one hand, she is easily my favorite Disney villain, so cold and so pure, and I want desperately to see more of her and her back-story. On the other hand, she is easily my favorite Disney villain, and I would hate to see her parodied, taken lightly or ultimately destroyed in a film that does not understand this great character. The good news is that this film almost gets it right; but that is also the bad news.

4. Big Cartoon Forum

BCDB Hits 150K Entries

It took a while, but we are finally here! The Big Cartoon DataBase hit the milestone of 150,000 entries earlier today with the addition of the cartoon The Polish Language. This film was added to BCDB on May 9th, 2014 at 4:23 PM.

5. Big Cartoon Forum

Warner Brings Back Animated Stone-Age Family

Funnyman Will Ferrell and partner Adam McKay are working on bringing back everyone’s favorite stone-age family. The duo’s production company Gary Sanchez Productions is in development on a new Flintstones animated feature.

6. Big Cartoon Forum

Disney To Feast In France

The follow up to Disney’s 2013 Academy Award Winning short Paperman has been announced, and it will premiere at France’s Annecy International Animated Film Festival. Titled The Feast, the short looks to be based on the same stylized CG techniques used on last years Paperman, a more natural and hand-drawn look to computer animation.

7. Big Cartoon Forum

Renegades of Animation: Pat Sullivan

Pat Sullivan became famous worldwide for his creation of Felix the Cat. What most animation histories gloss over is Sullivan’s checkered past and longtime standing as a wildcat renegade. He didn’t follow the rules. And he made damn sure to fully protect his intellectual properties.

The Mystery Cartoon Character Game, ongoing.

Discussion in 'Free-For-All' started by oneuglybunny, Nov 4, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. oneuglybunny

oneuglybunny Moderator Staff Member Forum Member

Well, dang, if Roger Ramjet hadn't already been used, I believe I might have to credit PeterHale with a correct answer. The only iffy part would be "mutants", which wasn't a fling-about term at the time Snyder-Koren's Roger Ramjet was produced. Everything else fits, though. Let me demonstrate how close Peter's answer came:

4) The voice actor for this character has played an incompetent animated hero, a full-fledged competent animated hero, and a competent animated hero with an incompetent sidekick. In this case, he's voicing a mostly competent animated hero handicapped by egotism.

5) Almost out of thin air, this character gains a daughter, who is more competent than her father, less egotistic than Daddy, and even sides with her father's personal nemeses when it's the more effective course of action.

6) One might think such an egotist would refuse to call for help when it's needed. Wrong. In fact, this character's signature phrase is built on calling for more troops.
  2. emeraldisle

emeraldisle Moderator Staff Member I SUPPORT BCDB!

Aha! It's Commander Ulysses Feral, from "Swat Kats: The Radical Squadron."
    Last edited: Jun 8, 2014
    • Winner Winner x 1
  3. oneuglybunny

Correct, EmeraldIsle, this is Commander Ulysses Feral from SWAT Kats The Radical Squadron, produced by Hanna-Barbera Studios. Feral is easily the largest good-aligned character in the series; perhaps only Dark Kat is physically larger. Well, him and the horrific monsters, anyway.
    Gary Owens provides Feral's voice, the Gary Owens who voices Roger Ramjet, Space Ghost and the Blue Falcon.
    In season two, Commander Feral suddenly gains a daughter, Felina Feral, a junior officer among Ulysses Feral's Enforcers. Felina often sides with T-Bone and Razor, as these two rogue agents tend to be highly effective against the many threats to Megakat City. Unlike her father, Felina places Reason Before Honor. And Feral has made a catchphrase out of "Bring me chopper backup." Apparently he operates on the theory that ineffective tactics improve when one uses more of them.

Good deduction, Em. Though I wouldn't try saying "Here, kitty kitty" to Feral. The Death Glare alone could crumble concrete. And not since Disney's Peg-Leg Pete have we seen such a huge, ugly cat. Seriously, Feral is feline? Yow. No matter, collect another +1 and take control of the Board. :)
  4. emeraldisle

Thanks, OUB. But for now, I'll pass my turn to Peterhale. BTW, Felina was Feral's niece, not his daughter.
    Last edited: Jun 8, 2014
    • Friendly Friendly x 1
  5. peterhale

peterhale Moderator Staff Member I SUPPORT BCDB!

Thanks, emeraldisle, and congratulations on a well-deserved point!

1) I am on a mission - as defined by the title song.

2) My short is mainly in the style of the 1940s, particularly Avery's MGM period.

3) It is supposed to be educational, but manages to subvert the message in the name of entertainment!
  6. emeraldisle

You're welcome, Pete. Regrettably, I'm stumped on this one.
  7. oneuglybunny

Well, since Private Snafu has already been deployed, I'll venture that this is his seagoing counterpart, Seaman Hook.
  8. peterhale

Alas, not Mr Hook. He appeared in a series of shorts, whereas clue 2 implies a certain singularity.
  9. emeraldisle

The character I thought of has no title song for his short. So it must be someone else.
    Last edited: Jun 9, 2014
  10. peterhale

More clues...

4) My situation seems hopeless, but the message is 'perseverance'.

5) I get sung at, a lot, but it spurs me on.

6) Like Snafu and Hook, I demonstrate how not to do it - but I am not of their generation.
  11. emeraldisle

Sorry, but I still don't have it. Hope one of the others knows.
  12. oneuglybunny

A one-time character with perseverance despite difficulty / opposition that gets subverted ... the only one I can think of is the dung beetle from Erick Oh's short film Way Home, produced at the SBA Seoul Animation Center, viewable here: Way Home from Erick Oh on Vimeo. But there's no singing in this one, and it's more a Fate-Is-Cruel aesop than a comic one. :shrug:
  13. peterhale

A lovely (if tragic) little film - thanks for sharing - but no, not the character I have in mind!

The final clues should narrow it down,,,

7) Despite the styling, my short was not made in the US.

8) After repeated failures I am pushed into action by a motivational information film on the TV.

9) You can tell me from my TV look-alike by my knee-patch.
    Last edited: Jun 10, 2014
  14. emeraldisle

Hate to admit it, but I never saw a character with a patch on his knee. So I throw in the towel.
  15. peterhale

In case anyone is taking "patch on my knee" too literally, I've amended clue 9!
  16. emeraldisle

That still doesn't help much, I'm afraid. Maybe by tonight, someone will get it.
  17. saltyboot

saltyboot A Moderating Moderator Staff Member Forum Member

This is a hard one. I'll keep looking.
  18. peterhale

Oh dear! When no-one guesses it after 9 clues I feel I've got something wrong!

The answer is:

BobDog.jpg

Bob Dog, from Brad Caslor's Get A Job

Clues explained:
    1. He is trying to get a job. The title song is the one that was a hit for the Silhouettes in 1957 (though they are not the singers on the soundtrack).
    2. While the titles, and the styling of the trio who sing "Get A Job" is more inspired by underground comix artists (who were inspired by the cartoons of the 20s/30s) the majority of the film is very much an Avery/MGM homage. (I'm guessing Chris Hinton animated the trio.)
    3. The short is a sponsored information film to help job-seekers understand the importance of a resume, using telephone and mail to make job applications, punctuality and interview attitude - but it is purely played for laughs. Bob Dog does finally get a job, but the pay-off gag rather undermines the film's message!
    4. Self-evident.
    5. Repeatedly told to "Get a job!" by the trio on the street, he is then sung at by a job-seekers' information film on the TV, with Andrews Sisters pigs who remind him of his imminent appointments ("Three o'clock - whoa-oh - Don't be a quitter, honey...").
    6. The short was made in 1985.
    7. The short is a National Film Board of Canada production.
    8. Self-evident.
    9. After a day failing to get a job, Bob heads home. Cut to a dog looking like Bob, coming home to find his wife leaving him. It is finally revealed that this is a show playing on Bob's TV - pull out to see the real Bob entering his shabby apartment. The TV dog ("John") did not have a patch on his knee.
    I love this short, and I'm sorry nobody got it.

Brad Caslor had worked on commercials and animated segments for Sesame Street. In 1978 he animated two of the Canada Vignettes series for NFB and co-animated/-directed the short Blowhard with colleague Chris Hinton. He then started work on Get A Job, which, despite additional animation by Chris, took him 6 years to complete. At which point he'd had enough and quit animation for live-action editing and storyboarding!
    Last edited: Jun 12, 2014
    • Funny Funny x 1
  19. emeraldisle

Pete, I confess I never even heard of this character.
  20. peterhale

I know you've said before that you are not very familiar with NFB cartoons, em, but there are some great ones among them!

I think I'll hand my turn back to you, as it was yours originally.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.