1. Big Cartoon Forum

You WIll Need To Reset Your Password!!!

We just moved hosts on this system, and this has caused a few updates. One is the way we encode and store the encoded passwords.

Your old passwords will NOT work. You will need to reset your password. This is normal. Just click on reset password from the log in screen. Should be smooth as silk to do...

Sorry for the hassle.

Dave Koch
  2. Big Cartoon Forum

Are You Just Hanging Out?

Just lurking? Join the club, we'd love to have you in the Big Cartoon Forum! Sign up is easy- just enter your name and password.... or join using your Facebook account!

Membership has it's privileges... you can post and get your questions answered directly. But you can also join our community, and help other people with their questions, You can add to the discussion. And it's free! So join today!

Dave Koch
  3. Big Cartoon Forum

Other Side Of Maleficent

I have been looking forward to Maleficent with equal amounts of anticipation and dread. On one hand, she is easily my favorite Disney villain, so cold and so pure, and I want desperately to see more of her and her back-story. On the other hand, she is easily my favorite Disney villain, and I would hate to see her parodied, taken lightly or ultimately destroyed in a film that does not understand this great character. The good news is that this film almost gets it right; but that is also the bad news.

4. Big Cartoon Forum

BCDB Hits 150K Entries

It took a while, but we are finally here! The Big Cartoon DataBase hit the milestone of 150,000 entries earlier today with the addition of the cartoon The Polish Language. This film was added to BCDB on May 9th, 2014 at 4:23 PM.

5. Big Cartoon Forum

Warner Brings Back Animated Stone-Age Family

Funnyman Will Ferrell and partner Adam McKay are working on bringing back everyone’s favorite stone-age family. The duo’s production company Gary Sanchez Productions is in development on a new Flintstones animated feature.

6. Big Cartoon Forum

Disney To Feast In France

The follow up to Disney’s 2013 Academy Award Winning short Paperman has been announced, and it will premiere at France’s Annecy International Animated Film Festival. Titled The Feast, the short looks to be based on the same stylized CG techniques used on last years Paperman, a more natural and hand-drawn look to computer animation.

7. Big Cartoon Forum

Renegades of Animation: Pat Sullivan

Pat Sullivan became famous worldwide for his creation of Felix the Cat. What most animation histories gloss over is Sullivan’s checkered past and longtime standing as a wildcat renegade. He didn’t follow the rules. And he made damn sure to fully protect his intellectual properties.

The Mystery Cartoon Character Game, ongoing.

Discussion in 'Free-For-All' started by oneuglybunny, Nov 4, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Glowworm

Glowworm Moderator Staff Member I SUPPORT BCDB!

Indeed. It's Professor Calvin Q Calculus from "The Hole Idea."
    1. Self- explanitory.
    2. His wife, Gertrude, does not share the same enthusiasm as Calculus does about his inventions.
    3. In the end of the short, while his wife is complaining (yet again) Calculus throws one down one of his holes on the floor for Gertrude to fall down into. "My, that was a deep one." remarks Calculus. Suddenly, the hole blazes with fire, and out pops the Devil himself with Gertrude. "Isn't it bad enough down there without her?" he enquires.
  2. oneuglybunny

oneuglybunny Moderator Staff Member Forum Member

Wonderful, always liked him. :) Now for a character not seen in a while ... aha, found one.

1) This is the title character of a regularly televised animated series, based upon a classic work of literature.

2) Being a "good guy," this character has a sidekick; a darned helpful one, too.

3) Justice, propriety and decency mean a lot to this character. Pity that he has such a poor method of effecting them.
  3. emeraldisle

emeraldisle Moderator Staff Member I SUPPORT BCDB!

I have an idea, but I'll see if someone else can figure it out.
  4. saltyboot

saltyboot A Moderating Moderator Staff Member Forum Member

I only found one series that matches clue 1, but nothing comes close to the other 2 clues.
  5. oneuglybunny

Okay, let's tighten the focus and name this puppy.

4) Italy saw this cartoon before the United States did. Understandable, since an Italian broadcaster developed and funded the idea.

5) The title character is patently ridiculous, hopelessly unqualified for his job. His horse shows more competence than him.

6) This character also has a speech impediment; not surprising, since his voice is provided by none other than Frank Welker.
  6. peterhale

peterhale Moderator Staff Member I SUPPORT BCDB!

Don Coyote, from The Adventures of Don Coyote and Sancho Panda?
    • Winner Winner x 1
  7. oneuglybunny

Precisactly, this is the well-meaning but poorly-prepared knight errant Don Coyote, very loosely derived from the book by Miguel des Cervantes. This was jointly produced by RAI Radiotelevisione Italiana and Hanna-Barbera Studios. This earns PeterHale another +1 and control of the board. :D
  8. peterhale

Here is one not yet on the list...

1) I've been animated in 3 series by different studios - once for the big screen and twice for the small.
    2) I've also appeared in TV commercials, and featured in two TV Specials.
    3) I have a friend with a weight problem.
  9. emeraldisle

Sorry, Pete. I just don't have it. Someone else has seen this guy for sure.
  10. oneuglybunny

Perhaps this is Popeye the Sailor Man, first adapted from the comics by Fleischer Studios, then by Famous Studios, then later by Hanna-Barbera Studios. The friend with the weight problem would be J Wellingtom Wimpy, corpulent mooch nonpareil.
  11. emeraldisle

Um, OUB, if I remember correctly, Popeye's already on the list.
  12. oneuglybunny

Of course. But rather than a mindless "I dunno" response, I figure to throw out bricks. That way, the questioner can see where my mind is going with the clues given. The cowboy who knows know a calf thinks will have little trouble roping a stray dogie. :)
  13. peterhale

A stimulating answer, although, as OUB admits, one that has already been guessed. So let's see if we can rope that dogie!

4) I started out as a weekly panel.
    5) My anime series was not a great success - despite its fidelity to the comics.
    6) My creator has the same name as a cartoon character first introduced by one of my voice artists.
  14. emeraldisle

Near as I can figure, it's probably Keith from "Voltron."
    Last edited: Mar 29, 2014
  15. peterhale

Not Keith Kolgane. If it's any help, OUB's guess was a bit closer to the mark.
  16. peterhale

OK - the last 3 clues...

7) After my first series I was replaced by the studio's own creation.
    8) My last series reprised my earlier theme song.
    9) Well - a kite needs a tail... and you have to write with something... and that clock...
  17. emeraldisle

All those clues, and I still can't figure it out. Hopefully, one of the others will get it.
  18. saltyboot

saltyboot A Moderating Moderator Staff Member Forum Member

Unfortunately, it won't be me. I'm stuck on this.
  19. oneuglybunny

Intriguing: a comic strip likely from newspapers was made into an anime cartoon to lukewarm success. And I can almost picture a character shrugging off losing his tail to complete a kite, but somehow it just won't focus. I would say Warner Brothers' Sylvester the Cat, but he's already used, and I can't picture an anime studio getting the rights to him. Dang, all this thinking's making my head hurt.
  20. peterhale

Oh dear - when OUB posited Popeye a few posts back I was sure it would go quickly: he was so in the right direction! Perhaps I should give one final important clue which I had withheld - I'm female.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.