1. Big Cartoon Forum

You WIll Need To Reset Your Password!!!

We just moved hosts on this system, and this has caused a few updates. One is the way we encode and store the encoded passwords.

Your old passwords will NOT work. You will need to reset your password. This is normal. Just click on reset password from the log in screen. Should be smooth as silk to do...

Sorry for the hassle.

Dave Koch
  2. Big Cartoon Forum

Are You Just Hanging Out?

Just lurking? Join the club, we'd love to have you in the Big Cartoon Forum! Sign up is easy- just enter your name and password.... or join using your Facebook account!

Membership has it's privileges... you can post and get your questions answered directly. But you can also join our community, and help other people with their questions, You can add to the discussion. And it's free! So join today!

Dave Koch
  3. Big Cartoon Forum

Other Side Of Maleficent

I have been looking forward to Maleficent with equal amounts of anticipation and dread. On one hand, she is easily my favorite Disney villain, so cold and so pure, and I want desperately to see more of her and her back-story. On the other hand, she is easily my favorite Disney villain, and I would hate to see her parodied, taken lightly or ultimately destroyed in a film that does not understand this great character. The good news is that this film almost gets it right; but that is also the bad news.

4. Big Cartoon Forum

BCDB Hits 150K Entries

It took a while, but we are finally here! The Big Cartoon DataBase hit the milestone of 150,000 entries earlier today with the addition of the cartoon The Polish Language. This film was added to BCDB on May 9th, 2014 at 4:23 PM.

5. Big Cartoon Forum

Warner Brings Back Animated Stone-Age Family

Funnyman Will Ferrell and partner Adam McKay are working on bringing back everyone’s favorite stone-age family. The duo’s production company Gary Sanchez Productions is in development on a new Flintstones animated feature.

6. Big Cartoon Forum

Disney To Feast In France

The follow up to Disney’s 2013 Academy Award Winning short Paperman has been announced, and it will premiere at France’s Annecy International Animated Film Festival. Titled The Feast, the short looks to be based on the same stylized CG techniques used on last years Paperman, a more natural and hand-drawn look to computer animation.

7. Big Cartoon Forum

Renegades of Animation: Pat Sullivan

Pat Sullivan became famous worldwide for his creation of Felix the Cat. What most animation histories gloss over is Sullivan’s checkered past and longtime standing as a wildcat renegade. He didn’t follow the rules. And he made damn sure to fully protect his intellectual properties.

The Mystery Cartoon Character Game, ongoing-ier.

Discussion in 'Free-For-All' started by oneuglybunny, Dec 31, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. oneuglybunny

oneuglybunny Moderator Staff Member Forum Member

Amusing reference to Monty Python's "I'm A Lumberjack And I'm Okay." And one lumberjack that entered American folklore is Paul Bunyan, a mighty giant of a fellow said to fell trees with one swing of his huge axe. Further, the great Rocky Mountains were formed while he and his companion, a giant blue ox, were having some roughhouse fun. I think it was Disney that adapted his tall tales into animation.
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  2. saltyboot

saltyboot A Moderating Moderator Staff Member Forum Member

That's right OUB, it's Paul Bunyan. And yes, it was Disney that made it into animation.
  3. oneuglybunny

Nifty. :) I'll be back with a Mystery Character right after dinner; watch this space about 19:00 EST. *

Ahh, dat wuz good. *hiccup / burp* Now for the hard part.

1) This character is one of the principal characters in a regularly televised animated series that's no longer in production. The complete series has been released to video media, however.

2) Like most young women, this character has dreams of marrying a doctor. She has her eye on one in particular.

3) Probably more than a few girls have wanted to slug a goofy, embarrassing or difficult boyfriend. This character has landed a good few blows on her fiancée, though the fellow has also dodged quite a few shots as well. Pat Benatar was right: love is a battlefield.
    Last edited: Feb 8, 2016
  4. emeraldisle

emeraldisle Moderator Staff Member I SUPPORT BCDB!

Can't put my finger on it. So sorry.
  5. oneuglybunny

Speaking of fingers ...

4) This character launches some mean jabs at the title character. None of them connect, fortunately. Being polite, the title character simply lands a one-finger tap on this character's head, as a "gotcha" indicator.

5) No brothers, but this character has two sisters, both older. None of these sisters seem in a hurry to be married, though their father has a vested interest in acquiring a son-in-law.

6) This character follows normal walkways going to and coming from school. Her fiancée tends to travel along fencetops. Both need to beware of washtubs, as in their world, these are the equivalent of anvils.
  6. emeraldisle

I'll really have to look this one up.
  7. saltyboot

I'm comin' up with nothing. Still looking though.
  8. oneuglybunny

No no, no more nothin's. Let's chew on some nice meaty clues.

7) Kitty Films produced this animated series in 1989.

8) This character is combative because she's an instructor at a dojo, which functions a lot like the French Sorbonne.

9) In case you haven't already deduced this, this character is female. She stays female, too. Her fiancée, however, tends to be gender-fluid.
  9. emeraldisle

Well, I'm not totally familiar with Kitty Films, but I did take a good look to find the answer. If I'm right, it's Akane, from Ranma 1/2.
    • Winner Winner x 1
  10. oneuglybunny

The Mystery Character is Tendo Akane from Rumiko Takahashi's Ranma ½, therefore you are right. Akane has eyes for the handsome and established Doctor Tofu, a chiropractor / geriatrician, but he has eyes for Akane's older sister, Kasumi. Ranma can be difficult at times, so Akane has had to "thump" him on occasion. The finger tap occurs in the first episode, while Akane and girl-Ranma are sparring in the dojo proper. Since Ranma has an aversion to hitting a girl, the finger tap serves in lieu of an actual thump. Akane takes it well. Akane's two older sisters are Kasumi and Nabiki; they "volunteer" their junior sibling to marry the newcomer, Saotome Ranma. Their father, Tendo Soun, has an interest in marrying a daughter to a martial artist; otherwise, the dojo he founded would go derelict or be converted. And an anime convention is dropping a washtub on a character as a form of great humiliation, roughly equivalent to having an anvil dropped here in the States.

I'll append your newest +1, EI, while you find worthy Mystery Character. :)
  11. emeraldisle

Thanks, OUB. Now for one that's really gone untapped:

1. Along with my buddy, I was created 40 years ago, concurrently with a similar show on a rival network.

2. Despite my small size, I'm called a hunter.

3. Unlike most others of my species, I can travel out of the water.
  12. emeraldisle

Looks like I got myself a stumper. Ok, last three clues:

4. My full name may make you think of a late baseball player not previously mentioned in this game.

5. I'm the type who can be prepared fried, blackened, or if you're down south, Cajun style. Not that I myself have ever been eaten by humans.

6. My species is mentioned in a classic Doobie Brothers song about the Mississippi.
  13. Glowworm

Glowworm Moderator Staff Member I SUPPORT BCDB!

Figured out which series this was, but needed to figure out exactly which character it was in particular--it's Catfish from Misterjaw.
    • Winner Winner x 1
  14. emeraldisle

Glowworm, you're right again. It certainly is Catfish. So you go again. Good job. :)
  15. Glowworm

Thanks.
    1. After getting thrown out of my home by my wife, I turn to thoughts of suicide.
    2. How will I end it all? I'm going to get eaten.
    3. However, It will take an awful lot of convincing.
  16. emeraldisle

I seem to know this, but I can't place it right now. Someone else may get it.
  17. saltyboot

It's the lovebird, from Life with Feathers. Thinking that he's poison, Sylvester refuses to eat the bird.
    • Winner Winner x 1
  18. Glowworm

Yes this is the suicidal love bird from "Life With Feathers."
  19. saltyboot

Thanks... But I wont be able to post a character until tonight.
  20. saltyboot

OK, I got something.

I'm known for a name, but that is not my real name.
    I can see shape changing “parasites” that no one else can see.
    I travel from town to town, helping people with these parasites.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.