1. Big Cartoon Forum

You WIll Need To Reset Your Password!!!

We just moved hosts on this system, and this has caused a few updates. One is the way we encode and store the encoded passwords.

Your old passwords will NOT work. You will need to reset your password. This is normal. Just click on reset password from the log in screen. Should be smooth as silk to do...

Sorry for the hassle.

Dave Koch
  2. Big Cartoon Forum

Are You Just Hanging Out?

Just lurking? Join the club, we'd love to have you in the Big Cartoon Forum! Sign up is easy- just enter your name and password.... or join using your Facebook account!

Membership has it's privileges... you can post and get your questions answered directly. But you can also join our community, and help other people with their questions, You can add to the discussion. And it's free! So join today!

Dave Koch
  3. Big Cartoon Forum

Other Side Of Maleficent

I have been looking forward to Maleficent with equal amounts of anticipation and dread. On one hand, she is easily my favorite Disney villain, so cold and so pure, and I want desperately to see more of her and her back-story. On the other hand, she is easily my favorite Disney villain, and I would hate to see her parodied, taken lightly or ultimately destroyed in a film that does not understand this great character. The good news is that this film almost gets it right; but that is also the bad news.

4. Big Cartoon Forum

BCDB Hits 150K Entries

It took a while, but we are finally here! The Big Cartoon DataBase hit the milestone of 150,000 entries earlier today with the addition of the cartoon The Polish Language. This film was added to BCDB on May 9th, 2014 at 4:23 PM.

5. Big Cartoon Forum

Warner Brings Back Animated Stone-Age Family

Funnyman Will Ferrell and partner Adam McKay are working on bringing back everyone’s favorite stone-age family. The duo’s production company Gary Sanchez Productions is in development on a new Flintstones animated feature.

6. Big Cartoon Forum

Disney To Feast In France

The follow up to Disney’s 2013 Academy Award Winning short Paperman has been announced, and it will premiere at France’s Annecy International Animated Film Festival. Titled The Feast, the short looks to be based on the same stylized CG techniques used on last years Paperman, a more natural and hand-drawn look to computer animation.

7. Big Cartoon Forum

Renegades of Animation: Pat Sullivan

Pat Sullivan became famous worldwide for his creation of Felix the Cat. What most animation histories gloss over is Sullivan’s checkered past and longtime standing as a wildcat renegade. He didn’t follow the rules. And he made damn sure to fully protect his intellectual properties.

The Mystery Cartoon Character Game, ongoing-ier.

Discussion in 'Free-For-All' started by oneuglybunny, Dec 31, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. emeraldisle

emeraldisle Moderator Staff Member I SUPPORT BCDB!

Sorry, Pete, but I can't say I've heard of this one. Someone else probably has.
  2. oneuglybunny

oneuglybunny Moderator Staff Member Forum Member

Could this be Mona Simpson, Homer's mom from The Simpsons? She started out as a classic nuclear housewife, but her hormones kicked in at the sight of "Broadway" Joe Namath, and she joined a hippie commune. By chance, Mona encounters Homer in a cemetery, and they begin to reconnect. That is, until her past catches up to her, Mister Burns rats her out, and Mona goes on the lam again. "Mother Simpson" from the 7th season.
  3. peterhale

peterhale Moderator Staff Member I SUPPORT BCDB!

Well, that's a pretty good answer - Mona had an affair with lifeguard Mason Fairbanks before leaving Abe and abandoning her son to become a hippie. And although dead and cremated, she lives on in Homer's dreams. But the character I'm thinking of lacks Mona's intellect and political activism, and is much more of a hedonist. She is also a worse mother than Mona, and remains alive and enjoying her wanton lifestyle. So she fits the clues closer than Mona does.

More clues...

4) I fail to make it as an actress.
    5) I believe I was Cleopatra in a past life.
    6) My (largely forgotten) feature film is derived from a newspaper column via a gramophone record.
  4. emeraldisle

I still can't say I've heard of this one.
  5. Glowworm

Glowworm Moderator Staff Member I SUPPORT BCDB!

Ah, we've gone down this alleyway before, and I just needed to remember what that film and character's name were.
    It's Mehitabel frome Shinbone Alley--something I've never heard of until you brought up Archy earlier in this game.
    • Winner Winner x 1
  6. peterhale

peterhale Moderator Staff Member I SUPPORT BCDB!

It is indeed the alley cat Mehitabel, voiced by Carol Channing, from John Wilson's Shinbone Alley (1971).

1) She is an alley cat. Archy thinks she is worthy of better things and tries to persuade her to become a respectable housecat - but when she does she has to reject him - cockroaches are not allowed in the house. Of course, she hates having to be on best behaviour and eventually reverts to type. At the end of the film Archy comes to accept her for the way she is.

2) She abandons her kittens and would have let them drown if Archy hadn't come to their rescue.

3) From the lyrics of Mehitabel's song Toujours Gai:
    My youth I shall never forget
    But there's nothing I really regret
    The years I have poured down the drain
    Have sparkled like golden champagne

It's cheerio my deario
    Prance and pirouette
    It's cheerio my deario
    There's life in me yet
    4) Feline impresario Tyrone T. Tattersall (John Carradine) lures Mehitabel away with the promise of making her a star, but loses interest when he finds she has no talent.

5) She believes in reincarnation, which is why she is unsurprised when Archy explains he was a human poet who committed suicide.

6) The stories of Archy and Mehitabel appeared in the daily column written by Don Marquis, originally in The Evening Sun, starting in 1916. The musical Shinbone Alley, words by Joe Darion and music by George Kleinsinger, first appeared in 1954 as a Columbia Records concept album featuring Channing and Eddie Bracken. It had a short Broadway run (49 performances) in 1957 with Eartha Kitt as Mehitabel, and a TV version was broadcast in 1960 with Tammy Grimes.

Well remembered, Glowworm! Your point and your turn!
    Last edited: Jan 31, 2016
  7. Glowworm

Thanks, a lot of times I like to read up on the stuff I don't know much about, it then becomes rather handy for later.
    Here's one.
    1. I am a ruthless Frenchman
    2. I show up in 2 shorts.
    3. In my first short I am trying to steal someone's gold, in the second one, I am damming the river.
  8. emeraldisle

You got me stumped on this one.
  9. oneuglybunny

This is that Quebecois Blacque Jacques Shellacque, he whose deck of cards includes two Tens of Spades and a 21 of Hearts. Bend the rules much, Jacques?

Oh, and I've rebuilt the tracking sheet from a May 2015 copy. So, no more worry about score miscounting. OUB is back to full strength. :)
    • Winner Winner x 1
  10. Glowworm

Blacque Jacques Shellacque from "Bonanza Bunny" and "Wet Hare"--except Bugs had that 21 card--nice job cheating, Bugs. :happy:
    Also, When I first saw "Bonanza Bunny" as a kid on the Bugs Bunny and Tweety Show, I used to think the short was extremely short--later on, I discovered that that was due to ABC butchering it to death-no explosive telephones, and certainly no pulling the cork out of one's very explosive popgun.
  11. oneuglybunny

Actually, that 21 card came from Jacques' deck; Bugs Bunny was simply dealt it. Then again, he could have pulled a Henry Gondorf switcheroo. "Four Jacks."

Hmm, this part of the UCL is kinda thin. I think I'll feed it.

1) This character first occurs in an animated feature film that played in theaters. She reappears, along with her associates, in several subsequent direct-to-video features. It's a Cash Cow Franchise.

2) Much like Alexandra Cabot, this character is thorny, difficult and conceited. However, she never strays into villain territory. That whole "I'm better than you" mentality was instilled in her by her father.

3) This character is not human. Nope, not her. Humans weren't around that long ago.
  12. emeraldisle

Would you believe you made this one way too easy? It's Cera, from all the "Land Before Time" films.
    • Winner Winner x 1
  13. oneuglybunny

Spot on, EI. This is Cera the young triceratops from Don Bluth's The Land Before Time, plus all the sequels cranked out by Spoilberg's Amblimation. Her father orders her away from Littlefoot, saying, "Come, Cera. Three-horns don't associate with long-necks." Nice parenting there, dude.

Anyway, I'll award you a modern +1, and let you quiz us up. :)
  14. emeraldisle

Thanks, OUB. Time for another untapped vein:

1. We've been seen in movie theaters for many decades.

2. We just sing, parade across the screen, and encourage you to go out there and buy us.

3. Although we've never starred in our own movie, we've had cameos in several live action films.
  15. saltyboot

saltyboot A Moderating Moderator Staff Member Forum Member

This sound like the snacks, Gum, Popcorn, Candy, and Soda from Let's All Go to the Lobby.
    • Winner Winner x 1
  16. emeraldisle

Saltyboot, I'd buy those for you if I could. You're absolutely right. Good job. :).

The first two clues are self-explanatory. The characters have had "cameos" in live action movies like "Grease," and "One Crazy Summer."

So it's your turn again.
  17. Glowworm

Don't forget this amusing Simpsons version of it!
    • Like Like x 1
  18. saltyboot

Thanks, now here's one I scrounged up.

I have a safe job as a newspaper columnist.
    I moved my family into a nice home, despite my lawyer's warnings.
    I miss my old job as a thief.
  19. emeraldisle

This guy has me totally stumped.
  20. saltyboot

Ok, three more then.

Being angry that I stole their produce, the farmers took my wife's nephew.
    All of us animals are forced into the sewers.
    After rescuing the nephew, we found an even better place at the end of the tunnel.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.