1. Big Cartoon Forum

You WIll Need To Reset Your Password!!!

We just moved hosts on this system, and this has caused a few updates. One is the way we encode and store the encoded passwords.

Your old passwords will NOT work. You will need to reset your password. This is normal. Just click on reset password from the log in screen. Should be smooth as silk to do...

Sorry for the hassle.

Dave Koch
  2. Big Cartoon Forum

Are You Just Hanging Out?

Just lurking? Join the club, we'd love to have you in the Big Cartoon Forum! Sign up is easy- just enter your name and password.... or join using your Facebook account!

Membership has it's privileges... you can post and get your questions answered directly. But you can also join our community, and help other people with their questions, You can add to the discussion. And it's free! So join today!

Dave Koch
  3. Big Cartoon Forum

Other Side Of Maleficent

I have been looking forward to Maleficent with equal amounts of anticipation and dread. On one hand, she is easily my favorite Disney villain, so cold and so pure, and I want desperately to see more of her and her back-story. On the other hand, she is easily my favorite Disney villain, and I would hate to see her parodied, taken lightly or ultimately destroyed in a film that does not understand this great character. The good news is that this film almost gets it right; but that is also the bad news.

4. Big Cartoon Forum

BCDB Hits 150K Entries

It took a while, but we are finally here! The Big Cartoon DataBase hit the milestone of 150,000 entries earlier today with the addition of the cartoon The Polish Language. This film was added to BCDB on May 9th, 2014 at 4:23 PM.

5. Big Cartoon Forum

Warner Brings Back Animated Stone-Age Family

Funnyman Will Ferrell and partner Adam McKay are working on bringing back everyone’s favorite stone-age family. The duo’s production company Gary Sanchez Productions is in development on a new Flintstones animated feature.

6. Big Cartoon Forum

Disney To Feast In France

The follow up to Disney’s 2013 Academy Award Winning short Paperman has been announced, and it will premiere at France’s Annecy International Animated Film Festival. Titled The Feast, the short looks to be based on the same stylized CG techniques used on last years Paperman, a more natural and hand-drawn look to computer animation.

7. Big Cartoon Forum

Renegades of Animation: Pat Sullivan

Pat Sullivan became famous worldwide for his creation of Felix the Cat. What most animation histories gloss over is Sullivan’s checkered past and longtime standing as a wildcat renegade. He didn’t follow the rules. And he made damn sure to fully protect his intellectual properties.

The Mystery Cartoon Character Game, ongoing-ier.

Discussion in 'Free-For-All' started by oneuglybunny, Dec 31, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. emeraldisle

emeraldisle Moderator Staff Member I SUPPORT BCDB!

Again, I'm stumped. Someone else may well have seen this.
  2. saltyboot

saltyboot A Moderating Moderator Staff Member Forum Member

I need another set of clues to figure this one out.
  3. peterhale

peterhale Moderator Staff Member I SUPPORT BCDB!

Coming right up...

4) My role is that of traditional romantic lead and hero, but I am not the central character.
    5) I ride to the rescue for a long time, to build up the tension.
    6) And I sing forever!
  4. emeraldisle

Sorry, Pete, but I'm still stumped. Someone else knows, that's for sure.
  5. Glowworm

Glowworm Moderator Staff Member I SUPPORT BCDB!

This is Prince David from the 1939 Guliver's Travels movie.
    • Winner Winner x 1
  6. peterhale

peterhale Moderator Staff Member I SUPPORT BCDB!

Thank you for coming to my rescue, Glowworm!

It is indeed Prince David, from the Fleischer's attempt to emulate the success of Disney's Snow White.

1) Prince David, son of King Bombo of Blefuscu, is to marry Princess Glory, daughter of King Little of Lilliput. But the Kings fall out over which island's national song should be sung at the ceremony, and Bombo declares war.
    2) Gulliver, who is seen as (and called) a giant by the little people, suggests to the lovers that they merge the two songs into one.
    3) Bombo's spies have rigged up Gulliver's pistol to point out to sea, and are about to shoot him in the back (nice bit of staging) as he pulls the captured Blefecuan navy to shore. Prince David topples the gun over the cliff, but falls with it.
    4) David and Glory are two-dimensional characters who function only as plot elements.
    5) I actually rather overstated this - we only see 4 shots of him riding to the rescue before he arrives and leaps onto the pistol barrel, but the tension is certainly racked up to breaking point.
    6) This is the cryptic killer clue - the Blefuscuan anthem is Forever (the Lilliputian one is Always).

Well spotted, Glowworm - your point and your turn!
    Last edited: Jan 16, 2016
    • Useful Useful x 1
  7. Glowworm

Thanks. Never seen this one, just enough knowledge of the film helped me out.
    1. I am generally the antagonist to one of the main characters.
    2. Unlike this character who usually just screams for the most part, I talk.
    3. In one of the shorts, me and my buddies make fun of him for being literally treated like a baby.
  8. emeraldisle

I thought of two possibilities, but one's already on the list, and the other didn't say a word until years later. So I'm stumped again.
  9. oneuglybunny

oneuglybunny Moderator Staff Member Forum Member

Well, the "Butch" on the Used Mystery Character List is from "Brother Brat." This is Butch the black cat from the Tom and Jerry cartoon "Baby Puss." Tom Cat rarely speaks, and not at all in this cartoon. A young girl has dressed Tom in layette while playing "Mommy," and Butch and his pals happen to catch this scene, and ridicule Tom mercilessly.
  10. Glowworm

Yes, this is Butch from Tom and Jerry
  11. oneuglybunny

Cool. :) Hmm, not a whole lot of pickings during January and February. Guess I'll have to pluck at random from an old stalwart.

1) This character appeared in a regularly televised animated cartoon that's no longer in production.

2) In a balance of power thing, there are two principal Good Guys and two principal Bad Guys. This character is the badder of the two baddies.

3) Unusual for the setting, nobody employs firearms, not even the villains. The executive producer was adamant about that: no guns at all.
    Last edited: Jan 17, 2016
  12. emeraldisle

This'll take some research. There are many characters who weren't allowed to be pistol packers.
  13. oneuglybunny

Oh dear, better give some better clues.

4) Both the good guys and the bad guys wear hats. Not so unusual, really, except that one of the good guys is a horse. With a nice hat.

5) Perhaps "meaningful names" steered the bad guys to a life of crime. The Mystery Character, who is the badder baddie, has a name that suggests that he's fearfully inconsiderate. His underling has name that could only belong to a sneaky highwayman.

6) These cartoons were made purely for television, and were attached to a broadcast show meant specifically for children that has nothing to do with firearms, the military or marsupials.
  14. emeraldisle

Aha! I have it now. It's Badlands Meeney," from "The Adventures Of Lariat Sam."

1. It's no longer in production.

2. Self-explanatory.

3. No guns allowed.

4. His horse, Tippy Toes wears a hat just like the humans do.

5. Badlands Meeney. A name like that is as bad he gets. Don't know about the other guy.

6. These cartoons aired on Captain Kangaroo.
    • Winner Winner x 1
  15. oneuglybunny

Absolutely, this is Badlands Meeney from The Adventures of Lariat Sam, part of the Captain Kangaroo show. Bob Keeshan was adamant about keeping his show child friendly: he forbade any depiction of firearms in these cartoons. In fact, his pilot shows once had a suit of armor on the set, but when he got word that some kids were fearful of the "metal man," Keeshan junked the armor, and remained vigilant of anything that would frighten or unnerve children. The result was numerous awards for highly ethical, engaging, family-friendly television.

Oh, and Meeney's partner in crime is J. Skulking Bushwhack. Skulking is another word for sneaking, and a bushwhacker is a robber that waits behind vegetation to pounce upon travelers, and relieve them of their loot. So Emerald Isle gets another fine +1, plus control of the board. :)
  16. emeraldisle

Thanks, OUB. Time for another untapped, and I mean really untapped one:

1. I'm the title character of two infamous shorts, each from a different studio.

2. Both of these are spoofs of a classic American novel that's just as controversial.

3. Amazingly, the same guy had a hand in both cartoons.
  17. Glowworm

Uncle Tom from Tex Avery's "Uncle Tom's Bungalow" (Merry Melodies) and "Uncle Tom's Cabana" (MGM)
    • Winner Winner x 1
  18. emeraldisle

Right, Glowworm. Good job, and happy Martin Luther King Day. :) Now for the clues:

1. "Uncle Tom's Bungalow" was a Looney Tunes short, and "Uncle Tom's Cabana" was by MGM.

2. Self-explanatory.

3. Tex Avery had a hand in both shorts.

So it's your turn once again.
    • Useful Useful x 1
  19. Glowworm

Thanks, I always liked "Uncle Tom's Cabana" --that one had a lot of funny gags and Uncle Tom actually had a non-stereotypical sounding accent.
    Anyhow, give me a little time to come up with a character.
  20. Glowworm

Okay, I have one that actually isn't on the list.
    1. I am rather loosely based off an actual animal.
    2. My first appearance was almost my last, the studio's producer ordered the director of my short to put an end to my career, as he thought I was unappealing.
    3. Fortunately the studio head came to my aid, assuring the producer that I was actually quite popular with the audience.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.