1. Big Cartoon Forum

You WIll Need To Reset Your Password!!!

We just moved hosts on this system, and this has caused a few updates. One is the way we encode and store the encoded passwords.

Your old passwords will NOT work. You will need to reset your password. This is normal. Just click on reset password from the log in screen. Should be smooth as silk to do...

Sorry for the hassle.

Dave Koch
  2. Big Cartoon Forum

Are You Just Hanging Out?

Just lurking? Join the club, we'd love to have you in the Big Cartoon Forum! Sign up is easy- just enter your name and password.... or join using your Facebook account!

Membership has it's privileges... you can post and get your questions answered directly. But you can also join our community, and help other people with their questions, You can add to the discussion. And it's free! So join today!

Dave Koch
  3. Big Cartoon Forum

Other Side Of Maleficent

I have been looking forward to Maleficent with equal amounts of anticipation and dread. On one hand, she is easily my favorite Disney villain, so cold and so pure, and I want desperately to see more of her and her back-story. On the other hand, she is easily my favorite Disney villain, and I would hate to see her parodied, taken lightly or ultimately destroyed in a film that does not understand this great character. The good news is that this film almost gets it right; but that is also the bad news.

4. Big Cartoon Forum

BCDB Hits 150K Entries

It took a while, but we are finally here! The Big Cartoon DataBase hit the milestone of 150,000 entries earlier today with the addition of the cartoon The Polish Language. This film was added to BCDB on May 9th, 2014 at 4:23 PM.

5. Big Cartoon Forum

Warner Brings Back Animated Stone-Age Family

Funnyman Will Ferrell and partner Adam McKay are working on bringing back everyone’s favorite stone-age family. The duo’s production company Gary Sanchez Productions is in development on a new Flintstones animated feature.

6. Big Cartoon Forum

Disney To Feast In France

The follow up to Disney’s 2013 Academy Award Winning short Paperman has been announced, and it will premiere at France’s Annecy International Animated Film Festival. Titled The Feast, the short looks to be based on the same stylized CG techniques used on last years Paperman, a more natural and hand-drawn look to computer animation.

7. Big Cartoon Forum

Renegades of Animation: Pat Sullivan

Pat Sullivan became famous worldwide for his creation of Felix the Cat. What most animation histories gloss over is Sullivan’s checkered past and longtime standing as a wildcat renegade. He didn’t follow the rules. And he made damn sure to fully protect his intellectual properties.

The Mystery Cartoon Character Game, ongoing-ier.

Discussion in 'Free-For-All' started by oneuglybunny, Dec 31, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. oneuglybunny

oneuglybunny Moderator Staff Member Forum Member

Oh no you'se don't. No blanking on me, nuh-uh.

7) Yes, this character has a proper name. However, she gets a nickname from the team Keet: Miporin, pronounced like "Me pourin'."

8) The sport the girls play is called "sensha-do," which couldn't possibly work, not even in the United States. It'd take two or three wizards to make it work. But this is a cartoon, so the Laws of Physics are demoted to Suggestions of Physics. :D

9) If there's an Aesop to learn from these series, it might be that making a sport into a business takes the fun out of it; better to let the kids play and enjoy sports.
  2. FluidGirl

FluidGirl Moderator Staff Member Forum Member New Member

Sorry, I don't have the slightest idea.
  3. saltyboot

saltyboot A Moderating Moderator Staff Member Forum Member

The only anime i found with sensha-do is Girls und Panzer. So i'll say it's Miho Nishizumi.
    • Winner Winner x 1
  4. oneuglybunny

Well, I'm glad you said Miho Nishizumi, Saltyboot, because that's who it is. The first Girls Und Panzer series of 12 episodes was originally conceived as a niche anime, and would have aired normally in the wee-hours block. However, a fluke scheduling hiccup put GnP in the daytime block, where it picked up a large following. Manga adaptation followed, then a video game, then a prequel series ... and it's been a juggernaut in Japan since then. In fact, the real port city of Ooarai has started it own Panzer Festival!

Just for recap: the first series chronicles Miho's arrival at Ooarai Academy up to the Tankery Championship. The second series details Miho's days while still the First Officer at the austere Kuromoremine Academy. That austerity ultimately drove Miho to tankery-less Ooarai.
    Tankery is what it sounds like: cute squeaky school girls in army tanks shooting at each other. And it's billed as a great way to attract boyfriends! At one point the Student Council uses racketeering tactics on Miho to make her found the new Tankery Team; it was agonizing, but she agrees as it's the least-worst option. And somehow, the shells they fire can obliterate an engine compartment, but none of the girls (up to six in one tank) ever get more than bumps and smudges.

Despite a lot of ridiculousness in Girls Und Panzer's premise, there's a lot of Truth in Television about how tank warfare is conducted. The personal demons angle of Miho "Miporin" Nishizumi adds a lot of drama as well. Adding another fine +1 to Saltyboot's tally, and acceding control of the board. :)
  5. saltyboot

Thanks, OUB. Here's mine.

I'm in a WWII propaganda short.
    The title of my short is a pun on a live action film.
    My goal is to blow up a bridge.
  6. emeraldisle

emeraldisle Moderator Staff Member I SUPPORT BCDB!

Aha! Found it rather quickly. It's The Missing Lynx, from "Confessions Of A Nutzy Spy."
    • Winner Winner x 1
  7. saltyboot

Yep, it's the Missing Lynx. Confusions of a Nutzy Spy is a pun on the movie, Confessions of a Nazi Spy. The other clues are obvious.

You're turn emeraldisle!
  8. emeraldisle

Thanks, Salty. Here's one no one's even considered:

1. My TV ads aired mostly way down south.

2. I'm a lawman who pursues just one criminal.

3. My fast food chain is the one where the burgers are charco broiled.
    Last edited: Jan 29, 2015
  9. oneuglybunny

The "charcoal broiling" part torpedoes my original thought: Officer Big Mac, whose sole criminal adversary is the Hamburglar, both mascots for menu items at McDonald's. However, McD's uses straight flat grilling.
  10. emeraldisle

No, not Big Mac. He was never a toon to my knowledge.
  11. oneuglybunny

Actually, McDonald's has three or four videos of their characters going on lopsided adventures, sold at the counter at the height of VHS. They're obvious bang-offs, drawn similar to The Wild Thornberrys, and eerily off-model. I have one in the junk drawer, never watched it all the way through. Come to mention it, I don't remember Officer Mac in it.
  12. FluidGirl

I don't have the slightest idea. The only burger mascots I can think of are the ones from McDonald's, Wendy's, and Burger King. I think I need some more clues on this one.
  13. emeraldisle

As you wish. Here are the last three clues:

4. I wear a sheriff's outfit.

5. My last name is a cliched equestrian command.

6. Those who want meals at my restaurants are encouraged to hurry on down.
  14. Glowworm

Glowworm Moderator Staff Member I SUPPORT BCDB!

Okay, this is Gilbert Giddyup from Hardees. I've never heard of him before--and I don't think there are too many Hardees around New Jersey.
    • Winner Winner x 1
  15. emeraldisle

Yes, Glowworm, you got it. Incidentally, there are none in New Jersey, as it's a regional chain, just like Checkers and Steak And Shake. Now for the clues:

1. Due to being a Southern and Midwestern chain, the ads mostly aired down south.

2. Gilbert only went after Speedy McGreedy, a burger rustler.

3. The slogan was "Where the burgers are charco broiled."

All other clues are self-explanatory, so you're up again. Good job. I'd buy you a Thickburger if I could. :)
  16. Glowworm

Thanks, I'll admit I was trying for Roy Rogers at first--but that didn't fit the first three clues at the time. Also, we actually do have a Steak and Shake now.

Here's a quick one.
    1. I am the faithful pet and companion to a well known character.
    2. Although fairly well known, I have only appeared in two theatrical shorts--although I have later appeared on tv.
    3. In my first short, I talk in a typical dopey manner. In the second short, I am silent, although I communicate quite eloquently through notes.
  17. emeraldisle

This is one I can't guess at. Maybe another poster knows.
  18. FluidGirl

In regards to emeraldisle's character: I'm familiar with Hardee's, but not with this character. They must've gotten rid of him by the 1980's.

In regards to gloworm's character: I don't have the slightest idea.
  19. oneuglybunny

Could this be Charlie Dog, who tries so very hard to be Porky Pig's pooch? That bit with the signboards and easel comes to mind, selling himself as the Greatest Household Necessity Evah.
  20. Glowworm

Nope, not Charlie Dog--did him a while back.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.