1. Big Cartoon Forum

You WIll Need To Reset Your Password!!!

We just moved hosts on this system, and this has caused a few updates. One is the way we encode and store the encoded passwords.

Your old passwords will NOT work. You will need to reset your password. This is normal. Just click on reset password from the log in screen. Should be smooth as silk to do...

Sorry for the hassle.

Dave Koch
  2. Big Cartoon Forum

Are You Just Hanging Out?

Just lurking? Join the club, we'd love to have you in the Big Cartoon Forum! Sign up is easy- just enter your name and password.... or join using your Facebook account!

Membership has it's privileges... you can post and get your questions answered directly. But you can also join our community, and help other people with their questions, You can add to the discussion. And it's free! So join today!

Dave Koch
  3. Big Cartoon Forum

Other Side Of Maleficent

I have been looking forward to Maleficent with equal amounts of anticipation and dread. On one hand, she is easily my favorite Disney villain, so cold and so pure, and I want desperately to see more of her and her back-story. On the other hand, she is easily my favorite Disney villain, and I would hate to see her parodied, taken lightly or ultimately destroyed in a film that does not understand this great character. The good news is that this film almost gets it right; but that is also the bad news.

4. Big Cartoon Forum

BCDB Hits 150K Entries

It took a while, but we are finally here! The Big Cartoon DataBase hit the milestone of 150,000 entries earlier today with the addition of the cartoon The Polish Language. This film was added to BCDB on May 9th, 2014 at 4:23 PM.

5. Big Cartoon Forum

Warner Brings Back Animated Stone-Age Family

Funnyman Will Ferrell and partner Adam McKay are working on bringing back everyone’s favorite stone-age family. The duo’s production company Gary Sanchez Productions is in development on a new Flintstones animated feature.

6. Big Cartoon Forum

Disney To Feast In France

The follow up to Disney’s 2013 Academy Award Winning short Paperman has been announced, and it will premiere at France’s Annecy International Animated Film Festival. Titled The Feast, the short looks to be based on the same stylized CG techniques used on last years Paperman, a more natural and hand-drawn look to computer animation.

7. Big Cartoon Forum

Renegades of Animation: Pat Sullivan

Pat Sullivan became famous worldwide for his creation of Felix the Cat. What most animation histories gloss over is Sullivan’s checkered past and longtime standing as a wildcat renegade. He didn’t follow the rules. And he made damn sure to fully protect his intellectual properties.

The Mystery Cartoon Character Game, ongoing-ier.

Discussion in 'Free-For-All' started by oneuglybunny, Dec 31, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. oneuglybunny

oneuglybunny Moderator Staff Member Forum Member

Uh-oh, time to post more "fingerable" clues. Remember to wash those hands afterward.

4) Most cartoon characters have a voice actor out of necessity. This character has two: one for speaking, and a second for singing. :eek: :arghh:

5) Remember cable cars, like the Red Car from Who Framed Roger Rabbit? This character rides on one, where she learns the hard way that open beverages on public transit are a bad idea. :bag:

6) Fire escapes are for emergency exit in case of fire. This character also learns the hard way that a fire escape makes a terrible spy platform. :eggface:
  2. emeraldisle

emeraldisle Moderator Staff Member I SUPPORT BCDB!

This is another mystery that only someone else can solve.
  3. oneuglybunny

I've gotten my share of Unguessed characters, thank you. They're not as fun as they sound. No more for me, okay?

7) 1997

8) Mammoth Studios

9) Defrosting Ice Queen, according to TV Tropes dot Org.
  4. peterhale

peterhale Moderator Staff Member I SUPPORT BCDB!

Well, in that case...
    It's Sawyer from Cats Don't Dance (1997, from Turner Feature Animation, which was absorbed by Warner Bros. Animation)
    • Winner Winner x 1
  5. oneuglybunny

Ah, saved from anonymous doom. Well done, PeterHale, this is the pretty-kitty Sawyer from Cats Don't Dance. Jasmine Guy provides Sawyer's speaking voice, which tends toward cynical and snarky; while chanteuse Natalie Cole provides her singing voice for "Tell Me Lies" and "Nothin's Gonna Stop Us Now." Cats Don't Dance premiered in 1997, shortly after Turner Features was merged into Time-Warner, which was fortunate for this film, since it tapped into Warner Brothers' huge theater distributor network. Without that, CDD would've been an obscure indie film.

Time to award a fresh +1 to PeterHale and let him select the newest Mystery Character. :)
  6. peterhale

Thank, OUB - those last clues nailed it!

Now here's a character whose omission from the list is entirely justified...

1) My films are inspired by the success of a famous duo - but my co-star gets no billing.
    2) My species has appeared a lot in animated cartoons, but my design is quite distinctive - ugly, but distinctive!
    3) One of my species, with the same name, appears in a later Disney film. It's definitely not me!
  7. oneuglybunny

Could this be Horse, loyal mount and brains of the outfit to Dudley Do-Right of the Mounties? He's one peculiar take on equines, including the oversize hooves and an impossible gait: seriously, how does one gallop with all four feet in unison? I think we've see a more moth-eaten take on Horse in those Pink Panther cartoons, where he picks up a laugh that blends a whinny with hyena staccato. Wow, horses in the cartoon world are very, very different. :jawdrop:
  8. peterhale

Alas, no - not Horse. I am the star of my my films.
  9. peterhale

More clues...

4) I get the sole billing for my shorts, but my co-star does get his name in a couple of the titles.
    5) I also appear in comic books around the same time - that time being the first half of the 1950s.
    6) My studio had a big hit with an earlier, more powerful representative of my species.
  10. emeraldisle

Of course ! This is Roquefort, the mouse!
  11. peterhale

Yes - specifically Little Roquefort - the Terrytoon mouse.

1) When Hanna and Barbera made Puss Gets the Boot it was generally considered that cat-and-mouse cartoons were old hat. Once they had proved this wrong, other studios rushed to jump on the bandwagon. Unlike Paramount, who teamed their earlier mouse Little Herman with Katnip for a series of feline/murine mayhem, Terrytoons let Little Roquefort carry the series by himself, with Percy the cat left uncelebrated.

2) Terry's mice from the Aesop's Fables cartoons were an influence on Disney, whose subsequent mice, from Mickey to The Flying Mouse and The Country Cousin influenced other studios. Little Roquefort manages to look different - his mouth is situated halfway up his snout, rather than within his head-mass, and his ears are big and flappy. These elements are the antithesis of cute, and actually manage to look ugly when animated, in my opinion.

3) Roquefort, of course, is also the name of the heroic mouse in The Aristocats.

4) BCDB lists 19 Little Roquefort shorts - Percy Puss's name appears in two of them: Prescription For Percy (1954) and No Sleep For Percy (1955).

5) The shorts were released between 1950-55, and Little Roquefort and Percy appeared in Terry-Toons and Little Roquefort comic books between 1952-58.

6) Terrytoons most famous mouse is, of course, Mighty Mouse.​

Well spotted again, Em - it's all yours!
  12. emeraldisle

Thanks, Pete. Now since I'm leaving on Saturday for a week long cruise, I feel the need to post these clues here and now. Have no fear, they're easy.

1. My animated series turned 50 just the other day.

2. I myself would be 75 next week were it not for a series of unfortunate events.

3. In my life, I imagined giving peace a chance.
  13. oneuglybunny

Jinkies, that clue #3 pointed me solidly in the right direction: this is the late John Lennon from "The Beatles" series, and later, the animated feature Yellow Submarine.
    • Winner Winner x 1
  14. emeraldisle

You got it, yeah yeah yeah! So step up, and take another turn. Good job. :)

And yes, all three clues are self-explanatory.
  15. oneuglybunny

Nifty ... oh, and have a happy cruise. Just make sure you know how to pilot a ship that size in case the captain is "indisposed." I'll scare up a new Mystery Character after I return from dinner. :)

And now that I've returned from dinner, there's enough fuel in my belly to power my thinking engine. That's how I discovered a heretofore untapped source. Here goes:

1) This character has appeared only once to date in an animated feature film. He survives to the end of the film, so he could recur.

2) This character has a bad reputation among the townsfolk in-story; his voice actor also got "awarded" a Razzie in the real world. Can't win no how.

3) Perhaps because he's such a ne'er-do-well, this character can recognize when a decent fellow is getting gypped. He calls the upstanding citizens out for this calumny.
    Last edited: Sep 28, 2015
  16. peterhale

(Mumbles, hunched over computer): Hmmm... Adam Sandler gets a lot of Razzies - is there a character he's voiced that fits the bill? What's this.. he won a Razzie for Eight Crazy Nights? Yet another movie I've never seen - never even heard of! So.. what's it all about?... "alcoholic troublemaker with a long criminal record, whose antics have long earned him the animosity of the town" - well that fits clue 2... does he survive to the end of the fim? ... he does! That's clue 1 sorted... now, if he just recognises a decent fellow getting gypped... no... no... no... wait what's this.. right at the end of the movie... "Risking arrest, Davey enters the hall and informs everyone of the selfless contributions that Whitey has made to Dukesberry over the course of his life. Disgraced, the townspeople acknowledge the error of their decision." That's it!

(Straightens up with new air of certainty): It's Davey Stone from Eight Crazy Nights.
    Last edited: Sep 29, 2015
    • Winner Winner x 1
  17. oneuglybunny

Righteous research, sir. This is very much Davey Stone from Eight Crazy Nights, and for all the reasons you mentioned or mumbled. :) I'll add your newest +1 to the tally sheet, while PeterHale takes control of the game board to launch the newest Mystery Character. :cool:
  18. peterhale

My apologies for the delay - I didn't have an opportunity to get on the computer last night.

1) I was on the menu until I bit the hand that fed me, so to speak.
    2) My relations have come to meet me at the end of their tour.
    3) I have lost my tail-feathers.
  19. emeraldisle

A no-brainer if ever there was one. It's Uncle Waldo, from "The Aristocats."
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  20. peterhale

Indeed it is!

Uncle Waldo is to be on the menu at Le Petit Café, until he bites the chef's finger and gets thrown out.
    His nieces Abigail and Amelia are touring France and plan to meet up with Uncle Waldo in Paris, at Le Petit Café.
    He lost his tail feathers to the chef's cleaver. This is a chef who bastes a goose in wine before it is dead, plucked, drawn and put in the pot - then throws his main ingredient out when it bites him. Don't ask!

Well spotted, Em, and back to you!
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.