1. Big Cartoon Forum

You WIll Need To Reset Your Password!!!

We just moved hosts on this system, and this has caused a few updates. One is the way we encode and store the encoded passwords.

Your old passwords will NOT work. You will need to reset your password. This is normal. Just click on reset password from the log in screen. Should be smooth as silk to do...

Sorry for the hassle.

Dave Koch
  2. Big Cartoon Forum

Are You Just Hanging Out?

Just lurking? Join the club, we'd love to have you in the Big Cartoon Forum! Sign up is easy- just enter your name and password.... or join using your Facebook account!

Membership has it's privileges... you can post and get your questions answered directly. But you can also join our community, and help other people with their questions, You can add to the discussion. And it's free! So join today!

Dave Koch
  3. Big Cartoon Forum

Other Side Of Maleficent

I have been looking forward to Maleficent with equal amounts of anticipation and dread. On one hand, she is easily my favorite Disney villain, so cold and so pure, and I want desperately to see more of her and her back-story. On the other hand, she is easily my favorite Disney villain, and I would hate to see her parodied, taken lightly or ultimately destroyed in a film that does not understand this great character. The good news is that this film almost gets it right; but that is also the bad news.

4. Big Cartoon Forum

BCDB Hits 150K Entries

It took a while, but we are finally here! The Big Cartoon DataBase hit the milestone of 150,000 entries earlier today with the addition of the cartoon The Polish Language. This film was added to BCDB on May 9th, 2014 at 4:23 PM.

5. Big Cartoon Forum

Warner Brings Back Animated Stone-Age Family

Funnyman Will Ferrell and partner Adam McKay are working on bringing back everyone’s favorite stone-age family. The duo’s production company Gary Sanchez Productions is in development on a new Flintstones animated feature.

6. Big Cartoon Forum

Disney To Feast In France

The follow up to Disney’s 2013 Academy Award Winning short Paperman has been announced, and it will premiere at France’s Annecy International Animated Film Festival. Titled The Feast, the short looks to be based on the same stylized CG techniques used on last years Paperman, a more natural and hand-drawn look to computer animation.

7. Big Cartoon Forum

Renegades of Animation: Pat Sullivan

Pat Sullivan became famous worldwide for his creation of Felix the Cat. What most animation histories gloss over is Sullivan’s checkered past and longtime standing as a wildcat renegade. He didn’t follow the rules. And he made damn sure to fully protect his intellectual properties.

The Mystery Cartoon Character Game, ongoing-ier.

Discussion in 'Free-For-All' started by oneuglybunny, Dec 31, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. emeraldisle

emeraldisle Moderator Staff Member I SUPPORT BCDB!

Pete, you made it way too easy. It's Prince John from Disney's "Robin Hood."
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  2. peterhale

peterhale Moderator Staff Member I SUPPORT BCDB!

Well, I guess I did - I didn't realise the quote would give it away so easily!

Yes, it's Prince John:
    1) His response when he learns that the people of Nottingham are all singing "The Phony King of England".
    2) Peter Ustinov also voices King Richard.
    3) Sir Hiss, of course.

A tip of the hat to OUB's magnanimity, and congratulations to Emeraldisle!

All yours, Em!
    • Friendly Friendly x 1
  3. emeraldisle

Thanks, Pete. Now for another that's gone untapped:

1. My story is told in flashback, and begins in prison.

2. I begin promoting my little friend upon discovering his hidden talent.

3. Due to an unexpected tragedy, I'm fed a thirteen=year long diet of pub fare--beer and pretzels.
  4. peterhale

Aha! This is Finnegan from Paramount's Finnegan's Flea.
    • Winner Winner x 1
  5. emeraldisle

Pete, you nailed it again. Good job. :). Now to explain the clues:

1. In flashback, the bartender explains that the story began sometime during Finnegan's 20 year incarceration at Alcatraz.

2. Upon discovering Charlie the flea could sing and dance, Finnegan began promoting and grooming him for stardom.

3. When the bartender accidentally killed Charlie, Finnegan went into shock, so for thirteen years, the man fed him a steady diet of beer and pretzels. Not very nourishing, but it was something.
  6. peterhale

Now here is another memorable character...

1) What I did for Butch in the first film I do for his son in the sequel.
    2) I berate my employee for bringing what I asked him to.
    3) I sing the song that was first heard during the film's title sequence.
  7. emeraldisle

No idea this time. Maybe someone else has seen these films.
  8. peterhale

OK - three more clues...

4) I play the accordion.
    5) I am a romantic at heart.
    6) And fond of dogs.
  9. emeraldisle

I'll have to check the Internet for this one.
  10. emeraldisle

Aha! It's Tony, from "Lady And The Tramp."
    • Winner Winner x 1
  11. peterhale

Yes, it's Tony, owner of the Italian restaurant in Disney's Lady and the Tramp.

1) "Butch" is the name he calls Tramp, a weekly visitor for whom he normally puts aside some bones. When Tramp brings Lady to dine, he gives them a dish of spaghetti and meatballs. He does the same for Scamp and Angel in Lady and the Tramp II: Scamp's Adventure. (But Angel is no lady, and when Scamp, in a parody of the original, nudges the first meatball towards Angel she dives in for a huge mouthful, emerging with bits of spaghetti dangling from her nose and ears.)

2) When Tramp takes Lady to the kitchen door of "Tony's" and gets his attention, Tony calls for Joe to "bring-a some bones for Butch". But when he sees Lady, Tony realises this is a special occasion, and when Joe arrives with the bones Tony turns on him: "Bones?! What's the matter for you, Joe? I break-a your face-a! Tonight, Butch-a, he's a-get a-best in-a house!"

3) Lady and the Tramp opens with a chorus singing "Bella Notte" under the title and credits.

4) Tony and Joe serenade the canine couple with "Bella Notte": Tony sings and plays the accordion with Joe accompanying him on the mandolin.

5) Unlike that other volatile Disney Italian, Stromboli, Tony is a big softie.

6) Pretty self-evident!​

Well spotted, Emeraldisle - back to you!
  12. emeraldisle

Well, Pete, here's one that should be easy:

1. Although I start out as the title character of a classic book, I'm altered for the animated series.

2. I share screen time with a prehistoric superhero.

3. One of my three friends has the same name as an iconic dog from my studio.
  13. peterhale

This must be Moby Dick, from Hanna-Barbera's Moby Dick and Mighty Mightor show.

Moby rescues shipwrecked boys Tom and Tub, and they have underwater adventures.
    Moby's segment is sandwiched by two segments of Mightor in the show - they both appear in the title sequence.
    Tom and Tub's pet seal is called "Scooby".
    • Winner Winner x 1
  14. emeraldisle

Pete, you nailed it again. Good job. :) Geronimoby!
  15. peterhale

OK - here is yet another character who ought to be on the list already...

1) My associate and I are the first villains that the title character meets.
    2) I deplore my companion's crude modus operandi, preferring the more subtle approach.
    3) I show a would-be scholar the easy road to success.
  16. emeraldisle

I thought of one, but he doesn't fit these clues very well.
  17. oneuglybunny

oneuglybunny Moderator Staff Member Forum Member

Oh, I recognize that crafty fox, one J. Worthington Foulfellow even at this distance. He's a real entrepreneur ... provided that laws and ethics aren't involved. His sidekick Gideon the cat is old-school smash-and-grab type of criminal, but that fox: flim-flam the poor Pinocchio into getting fleeced and liking it.
    • Winner Winner x 1
  18. peterhale

Well spotted, OUB - it is indeed J. Worthington Foulfellow (a.k.a. "Honest John") from Disney's Pinocchio.

1) Pinocchio encounters a series of antagonists through the course of the film - Foulfellow and Gideon are at the lower end of the villainy spectrum - opportunistic street criminals.
    2) Gideon's solution to everything is "hit it with a mallet", but "Honest John" prefers to exercise his wits via the confidence trick!
    3) Seeing Pinocchio on his way to school, J Worthington realises that Stromboli would pay handsomely for a living puppet. So, as OUB points out, he persuades Pinoke that there is a quicker way to fame and fortune than education: " I'm speaking, my boy, of the Theatre!" (cue An Actor's Life for Me.)​

Back to you, Mr B.
    Last edited: Sep 23, 2015
  19. oneuglybunny

oneuglybunny Moderator Staff Member Forum Member

It is surprising that "Honest John" Worthington Foulfellow wasn't tapped for a Mystery Character until now. Splendid selection, sir. :) I hope that I can field a similarly worthy character. Perhaps, this one?

1) This character has appeared only once to date in an animated feature film, and hasn't been seen since.

2) This character survives to the end of the film; the studio that produced the film, however, got absorbed by a bigger outfit.

3) And playing fair some more: this character is not human. She associates with humans, but isn't one of them. She's a pretty one, probably because she's a girl. And best of all, none of the humans are live actors. Everyone in this picture is animated, 100%. Yay! :D
  20. emeraldisle

Can't even begin to put my finger on it.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.