1. Big Cartoon Forum

You WIll Need To Reset Your Password!!!

We just moved hosts on this system, and this has caused a few updates. One is the way we encode and store the encoded passwords.

Your old passwords will NOT work. You will need to reset your password. This is normal. Just click on reset password from the log in screen. Should be smooth as silk to do...

Sorry for the hassle.

Dave Koch
  2. Big Cartoon Forum

Are You Just Hanging Out?

Just lurking? Join the club, we'd love to have you in the Big Cartoon Forum! Sign up is easy- just enter your name and password.... or join using your Facebook account!

Membership has it's privileges... you can post and get your questions answered directly. But you can also join our community, and help other people with their questions, You can add to the discussion. And it's free! So join today!

Dave Koch
  3. Big Cartoon Forum

Other Side Of Maleficent

I have been looking forward to Maleficent with equal amounts of anticipation and dread. On one hand, she is easily my favorite Disney villain, so cold and so pure, and I want desperately to see more of her and her back-story. On the other hand, she is easily my favorite Disney villain, and I would hate to see her parodied, taken lightly or ultimately destroyed in a film that does not understand this great character. The good news is that this film almost gets it right; but that is also the bad news.

4. Big Cartoon Forum

BCDB Hits 150K Entries

It took a while, but we are finally here! The Big Cartoon DataBase hit the milestone of 150,000 entries earlier today with the addition of the cartoon The Polish Language. This film was added to BCDB on May 9th, 2014 at 4:23 PM.

5. Big Cartoon Forum

Warner Brings Back Animated Stone-Age Family

Funnyman Will Ferrell and partner Adam McKay are working on bringing back everyone’s favorite stone-age family. The duo’s production company Gary Sanchez Productions is in development on a new Flintstones animated feature.

6. Big Cartoon Forum

Disney To Feast In France

The follow up to Disney’s 2013 Academy Award Winning short Paperman has been announced, and it will premiere at France’s Annecy International Animated Film Festival. Titled The Feast, the short looks to be based on the same stylized CG techniques used on last years Paperman, a more natural and hand-drawn look to computer animation.

7. Big Cartoon Forum

Renegades of Animation: Pat Sullivan

Pat Sullivan became famous worldwide for his creation of Felix the Cat. What most animation histories gloss over is Sullivan’s checkered past and longtime standing as a wildcat renegade. He didn’t follow the rules. And he made damn sure to fully protect his intellectual properties.

The Mystery Cartoon Character Game, ongoing-ier.

Discussion in 'Free-For-All' started by oneuglybunny, Dec 31, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. saltyboot

saltyboot A Moderating Moderator Staff Member Forum Member

Thanks, but I can't post a character until Tuesday. So.... I'll pass my turn to whoever wants it.
  2. peterhale

peterhale Moderator Staff Member I SUPPORT BCDB!

OK, I'll take it!

Now, who's missing from the list... Ah! Here's one we should have had by now!

1) ♬ My Bonnie Lies Over the Ocean... ♬
    2) I was the foil for a popular character.
    3) I also appeared in two other characters' shorts, and in my own right as a conductor (twice).
    Last edited: Sep 6, 2015
  3. emeraldisle

emeraldisle Moderator Staff Member I SUPPORT BCDB!

Pete, I couldn't find any shorts in which "My Bonnie Lies Over The Ocean" was used. So I'm stumped.
  4. oneuglybunny

oneuglybunny Moderator Staff Member Forum Member

Well, bless my begonias, we've barely touched this character: Tom Cat, foil to Jerry Mouse, created by Joe Barbera and William Hanna while they were directors at MGM Studios. Tom is a conductor at The Hollywood Bowl, and again (technically) for a performance of "Carmen."
  5. emeraldisle

I checked the list, and Tom's already there, along with Jerry.
  6. peterhale

No, it's not Tom. Three more clues...

4) I conduct for two orchestras - one adult, one juvenile.
    5) I'm a dog catcher in a short whose star previously introduced my primary antagonist.
    6) I've had 6 different voice actors - one voiced me as a New Yorker, but normally I have an immigrant accent.
  7. emeraldisle

Pete, I've searched all over for the answer, but just can't find it.
  8. oneuglybunny

Wait, this time I went digging through the super-sheet that tracks everything. One of Mickey Mouse's enduring foils is Peg Leg Pete. I admit that I'm not as versed in Mickey Mouse cartoons as I should be, however Pete has the schadenfreud and the arrogance to make Mickey Earn His Happy Ending. Pete started out, I believe, in Steamboat Willie as the captain, and has been mistaken for a dog-nose similar to Goofy, until being cemented by canon into a large, bullish feline. I can see him trying to snag poor Pluto and consign him to the horrors of the City Pound. I can also see him dressing well as an orchestra conductor as part of his looming pomposity. :)
  9. peterhale

No, it's not Pete, either! I didn't realise I'd made it so hard!

It's bedtime here in London - I'll post the final clues in the morning, unless someone nails it in between.
  10. saltyboot

saltyboot A Moderating Moderator Staff Member Forum Member

Right now, the only character I can think of is Spike from the Droopy cartoons.
  11. peterhale

No, not Spike.

Final clues...

7) In 1948 a new character took my place, and after a cameo as a cook in 1953 I was retired. I made a brief return as foil to another character in two shorts in 1961, but those were my last theatrical cartoons. I did make a comeback in 1999, though, on TV.
    8) I used to have a broken tooth.
    9) The character I first appeared with was certainly popular, but he was also very annoying - he certainly annoyed me, by yiminy!
  12. emeraldisle

Sorry, Pete. I just couldn't find a character who says "By yiminy."
  13. oneuglybunny

Wow, do I feel doofy. This is clearly Wally Walrus, who apparently lives to be aggravated by Walter Lantz's Woody Woodpecker. For most of his speaking appearances, he's given a mock-Swedish accent. *sigh* What can I say? Everyone remembers the A Team; nobody remembers the B Team.
    • Winner Winner x 1
  14. peterhale

Thank you OUB! I was beginning to fear that Wally and the 23 theatrical shorts he was in were just a figment of my imagination!

Yes, it's Wally Walrus. The clues explained...

1) "My Bonnie Lies Over the Ocean" has featured a few times in cartoon shorts: it was one of the Fleischer Song Car-Tunes - indeed, the first to feature the "bouncing ball" - in 1925; in Disney's Karnival Kid (1929) it is played by the merry-go-round that the hot dog stand hides under - Mickey then pricks out the tune on the "dogs" while calling his wares in rather coarse, gutteral tones in this, his first speaking picture; and of course it plays under the titles of My Bunny Lies Over the Sea (1948) where Bugs finds himself in Scotland. But in Wally's debut film The Beach Nut (1944) Woody sings it and Wally picks up the tune. After that it becomes Wally's favourite - he hums it in several films, often while cooking.

2) He was pestered by Woody in 17 cartoons.

3) He was the dog catcher in the Andy Panda cartoon Dog Tax Dodgers (1948) and appeared opposite Chilly Willy in Clash and
    Carry
    and Tricky Trout (both 1961). He starred in two of the Musical Minature shorts.

4) In the Musical Minatures The Overture to William Tell and Kiddie Koncert.

5) As 3). Woody Woodpecker first appeared in the Andy Panda short Knock Knock.

6) Originally voiced, with a Swedish accent, by Jack Mather. Will Wright gave him a gravelly, non-Swedish voice in The Reckless Driver (1946) and Dallas McKennon voiced him in 1953. Paul Frees voiced him in the 2 Chilly Willy films (1961) and Daws Butler did the honours in the TV special Spook-a-Nanny (1964). Billy West was his voice in the 1999 TV series.

7) Buzz Buzzard took over as Woody's adversary as part of a move to make Woody less of an aggressor (Wally was always Woody's innocent victim while Buzz would try to pick on Woody). In the 50s Wally appeared in cameo roles, the last being the cook at the lumber camp in Operation Sawdust. He was paired with Chilly Willy for two films in 1961.

8) The tip is missing from his left tusk in his early films. In The Reckless Driver (1946) he is tuskless, while in Well Oiled (1947) both tusks are complete. They remain complete and intact through the rest of the 40s, but disappear again in the 50s. He sports them again in the two 1961 Chilly Willy films Clash and Carry and Tricky Trout. They are gone in Spook-a-Nanny but back again for the 1999 Tv series.

9) Woody's agressive personality made him rather annoying. And he certainly annoyed Wally. "By Yiminy!", later "Yumping Yiminy!" were exclamations that underlined Wally's Swedish accent.

Your point and your turn, Mr Bunny!
  15. oneuglybunny

Wow, that one really lubed up my head, which is tough to do considering that it's filled with cobwebs and rust. Can I come up with a similar goodly character? Nope, just this one; at least he's from an untapped vein, so there's that.

1) This character has appeared only once to date in an animated feature film. He survives to the end of the film, so he could recur ... but that's unlikely since this film bombed at the box office.

2) Right from the time he was born, everyone knew this character was special. In school, this character stood out from his classmates, to the point where the principal remarks upon this to his parents. Unfortunately, this only marks this character as an aberrant nonconformist. Oh, dear.

3) Being fair again: this character is not human, though there are humans aplenty in this story. He can also read printed books, and converse with one human in particular.
  16. emeraldisle

Well, I found one, but he doesn't match the clues completely.
  17. Glowworm

Glowworm Moderator Staff Member I SUPPORT BCDB!

I got it--it's Despereaux from The Tale of Despereaux--based upon a book of the same name. The little guy is fearless, unlike most mice and I believe he has a (non-romantic) relationship with a human princess.
    Also, I apologize for my brief absence. As I've mentioned once before, I've had some computer trouble--then again, that thing was 8 years old. It kept rebooting so I did not want to have my posts interrupted or be unable to respond for a while if I came up with the correct character. We have a new computer finally.
    • Winner Winner x 1
  18. oneuglybunny

Absolutely, this is the brave mouse Despereaux from Universal Studios' The Tale of Despereaux. He's born with oversize "Dumbo" ears which eventually allow him to paraglide on air currents to get around. Despereaux is cited by the principal because, unlike the other timid mice, he "doesn't cower, doesn't scurry." He meets a human princess who, surprisingly, doesn't go all girly and start shrieking. Instead, she discovers Despereaux can speak, that he intends to be useful and meaningful somehow; as the story would have it, he actually does prove useful. The problem this film has is that it tends to wander into sidetracks that, though they influence the Main Plot, tend to be off-focus and meandering. Poor Despereaux ends up with barely one-third the screen time in a film in which he's the title character.

I'll give Glowworm a fresh new +1, and with it, control of the board. Quiz us up, GW. :)
  19. Glowworm

Glowworm Moderator Staff Member I SUPPORT BCDB!

Thanks, I recall watching a trailer for this one and was particularly tickled when the principal remarks "Oh, here's a new one. Drew pictures of cats while in class. He named this one Fluffy." :happy:
    I might as well give this one a try.
    1. We are a pair.
    2. Some characters travel through bible stories, others through historical events, we travel through fairy tales--on a flying book no less.
    3. One of us bills himself as the greatest adventurer since ever, the other one usually never gets to finish his introduction--but is basically the brains of the outfit.
  20. emeraldisle

I leave it up to someone else to answer.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.