1. Big Cartoon Forum

You WIll Need To Reset Your Password!!!

We just moved hosts on this system, and this has caused a few updates. One is the way we encode and store the encoded passwords.

Your old passwords will NOT work. You will need to reset your password. This is normal. Just click on reset password from the log in screen. Should be smooth as silk to do...

Sorry for the hassle.

Dave Koch
  2. Big Cartoon Forum

Are You Just Hanging Out?

Just lurking? Join the club, we'd love to have you in the Big Cartoon Forum! Sign up is easy- just enter your name and password.... or join using your Facebook account!

Membership has it's privileges... you can post and get your questions answered directly. But you can also join our community, and help other people with their questions, You can add to the discussion. And it's free! So join today!

Dave Koch
  3. Big Cartoon Forum

Other Side Of Maleficent

I have been looking forward to Maleficent with equal amounts of anticipation and dread. On one hand, she is easily my favorite Disney villain, so cold and so pure, and I want desperately to see more of her and her back-story. On the other hand, she is easily my favorite Disney villain, and I would hate to see her parodied, taken lightly or ultimately destroyed in a film that does not understand this great character. The good news is that this film almost gets it right; but that is also the bad news.

4. Big Cartoon Forum

BCDB Hits 150K Entries

It took a while, but we are finally here! The Big Cartoon DataBase hit the milestone of 150,000 entries earlier today with the addition of the cartoon The Polish Language. This film was added to BCDB on May 9th, 2014 at 4:23 PM.

5. Big Cartoon Forum

Warner Brings Back Animated Stone-Age Family

Funnyman Will Ferrell and partner Adam McKay are working on bringing back everyone’s favorite stone-age family. The duo’s production company Gary Sanchez Productions is in development on a new Flintstones animated feature.

6. Big Cartoon Forum

Disney To Feast In France

The follow up to Disney’s 2013 Academy Award Winning short Paperman has been announced, and it will premiere at France’s Annecy International Animated Film Festival. Titled The Feast, the short looks to be based on the same stylized CG techniques used on last years Paperman, a more natural and hand-drawn look to computer animation.

7. Big Cartoon Forum

Renegades of Animation: Pat Sullivan

Pat Sullivan became famous worldwide for his creation of Felix the Cat. What most animation histories gloss over is Sullivan’s checkered past and longtime standing as a wildcat renegade. He didn’t follow the rules. And he made damn sure to fully protect his intellectual properties.

The Mystery Cartoon Character Game, ongoing-ier.

Discussion in 'Free-For-All' started by oneuglybunny, Dec 31, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. peterhale

peterhale Moderator Staff Member I SUPPORT BCDB!

Three more clues then...

4) Much of the series was animated in the UK.
    5) In the show I am the manager of a pop group - although the first episode reveals that in reality I had a higher position.
    6) In that episode my top artiste brings the group to my attention - but at first I am not impressed!
  2. emeraldisle

emeraldisle Moderator Staff Member I SUPPORT BCDB!

Ah, I know it now. It's the un-named Motown exec from "The Jackson 5ive,"
    • Winner Winner x 1
  3. peterhale

Jackson5ive.JPG Yes indeedy - it is "the most important record producer in the business" (as Diana Ross calls him in the first episode) who, having signed up the Jacksons, subsequently appears as their manager.

BerryGordy.JPG Based on Berry Gordy, founder of the Motown record label.

Produced by Rankin/Bass and Motown Productions, the bulk of the animation for the series was done by Halas & Batchelor, during the period when John & Joy handed over control of the company to Tyne Tees Television while they concentrated on doing more personal work with their new company Educational Film Centre.

Episode 1 ("It All Started With...") elaborates on the Motown Myth that the Jackson 5 were discovered by Diana Ross (who provides her own voice).

Well done Em.. and back to you!
    • Informative Informative x 1
  4. emeraldisle

Thanks, Pete. Now here's another who's really gone untapped:

1. My chronological age is forty-two, but my mental age is something else altogether.

2. Having no thumbs, I suck the only appendage that'll fit in my mouth.

3. In my first short, I learn to be careful what I wish for--I get it!
  5. emeraldisle

Ok, here come the last three clues:

4. I'm a pachyderm.

5. Those who stand by me are a lion and a giraffe.

6. A short about my family tree won the Oscar.
  6. peterhale

Wow! TWO sets of clues up already!

I could probably have got this from the first set - it's Sidney the Elephant from the Terrytoon shorts that began with Sick Sick Sidney.
    1) He actually says he is 44, but has lots of childish neuroses.
    2) His trunk.
    3) The jungle noises jangle his nerves - but when the other animals are captured and taken to the zoo he finds it TOO quiet, and lonely!
    4) Yes, an elephant.
    5) Stanley and Cleo.
    6) Sidney's Family Tree was nominated in 1958, but the Oscar actually went to Knighty Knight Bugs.
    Last edited: Aug 24, 2015
    • Winner Winner x 1
  7. emeraldisle

Not quite already, Pete. I did wait 24 hours. But you got it again, and that's all that matters. It is Sidney, and for all the reasons you provided. Good job. :)
  8. peterhale

Thanks, Em. Sorry about that - I'm obviously not checking in a regularly as I think!

Here is a well-known character not yet on the list...

1) Initially I want nothing to do with the heroine of the movie.
    2) I'm gradually won round, and lead my comrades to her rescue (although we are too late).
    3) I hold out over a matter of hygiene, but am outnumbered six to one.
  9. emeraldisle

Sorry, Pete. I'm stumped. Besides, it's time someone else had a turn.
  10. oneuglybunny

oneuglybunny Moderator Staff Member Forum Member

Grumpy the Dwarf from Snow White and the Seven Dwarfs. He's too ornery to wash up before eating, but gets soaped by the other six dwarfs.
    • Winner Winner x 1
  11. peterhale

Grumpy it is!

Well spotted, OUB - give yourself a point and take the floor!
  12. oneuglybunny

Thanks, I'll take that point, and a good laugh. I'm remembering a Sesame Street sketch where Snow White first encounters the cottage of the Six Dwarfs, including one named "Stinky" and another named "Sneaky." Wow, girl, were you off-target. :smuggrin:

Speaking of female characters ...

1) This female character has appeared just once to date in a mostly-animated feature film. Some real live actual people show up, but it's mostly animation.

2) Technically, this character is an outlaw, but she counts as a Good Guy, much like Princess Leia is part of the Rebel Alliance, but that's okay because she's fighting The Empire.

3) This character has a nom de guerre, which is mostly how she's known. However, in an introspective moment, she divulges her real name.
  13. emeraldisle

Can't put my finger on it. Anyway, it's still too soon for me to go again. Let's see if Salty or Glowworm can figure it out.
  14. oneuglybunny

No fingers, eh? Okay, I'll make this Mystery Character much more finger-worthy. :D

4) Y'know how MacGyver can cobble together something stupendously useful from stuff that's lying around? This character can do the same thing: cobble together something wickedly useful out of odds and ends left lying around.

5) It's classic Hollywood to have the Hero ride off into the sunset. This character rides into the sun as well, though this doesn't mark the end of the story.

6) I'm supposed to tell you upfront if a character is human or not. In-story, yes, she's human. As straight-up truth, however, no, she's not.
  15. emeraldisle

I have a pretty good idea of who it is now, but I'll only answer if no one else gets it.
    • Friendly Friendly x 1
  16. saltyboot

saltyboot A Moderating Moderator Staff Member Forum Member

Right now I'm drawing a blank.
  17. emeraldisle

Well I'm not, and if I'm right, then everything is awesome. It's Wyldstyle, AKA Lucy, from "The Lego Movie."

1. This movie is mostly animated, with just a few live action characters.

2. She's one of those rebelling against Lord Business.

3. She does eventually reveal to Emmett that her real name is Lucy.

4. She's a Master Builder, just like most of the characters.

5. She does just that, but there will be a sequel down the line.

6. She's a "human" character, but given that she's built from Legos, she's technically not human by definition.
  18. oneuglybunny

"Everything is awesome / Everything is cool when you're working for the dream / Everything is awesome / With EmeraldIsle on the Team."

Yes, this is Wyldstyle /Lucy from The LEGO Movie, for every one of the reasons given. Except the "riding into the sun" clue: that refers to Emmet's "Uh, we're about to crash into the sun." Batman replies, "Yeah, but it's going to look really cool." And his Batjet leaves a Batman logo on the sun ... which, of course, is made of Lego bricks. Awesome!

Okay, EI, here's another fresh +1 for you, while you loose your next Mystery Character on us. :D
  19. emeraldisle

Thanks, OUB. Now here's a no-brainer that I predict will be solved with just three clues:

1. I commit my crimes inside a theater.

2. I come up with devious, but unsuccessful ways to throw my pursuers off the trail.

3. I intentionally misuse violin cases.
  20. emeraldisle

I really thought this one would be simple. Guess not. Maybe these clues will do the job:

4. I use a "canine Mata Hari" and later a few others like her, to do a little of my dirty work.

5. Like one of the protagonists, I become the cloaked cavalier.

6. Unlike most bad guys, I don't say anything about those meddling kids when I'm caught at the end.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.