1. Big Cartoon Forum

You WIll Need To Reset Your Password!!!

We just moved hosts on this system, and this has caused a few updates. One is the way we encode and store the encoded passwords.

Your old passwords will NOT work. You will need to reset your password. This is normal. Just click on reset password from the log in screen. Should be smooth as silk to do...

Sorry for the hassle.

Dave Koch
  2. Big Cartoon Forum

Are You Just Hanging Out?

Just lurking? Join the club, we'd love to have you in the Big Cartoon Forum! Sign up is easy- just enter your name and password.... or join using your Facebook account!

Membership has it's privileges... you can post and get your questions answered directly. But you can also join our community, and help other people with their questions, You can add to the discussion. And it's free! So join today!

Dave Koch
  3. Big Cartoon Forum

Other Side Of Maleficent

I have been looking forward to Maleficent with equal amounts of anticipation and dread. On one hand, she is easily my favorite Disney villain, so cold and so pure, and I want desperately to see more of her and her back-story. On the other hand, she is easily my favorite Disney villain, and I would hate to see her parodied, taken lightly or ultimately destroyed in a film that does not understand this great character. The good news is that this film almost gets it right; but that is also the bad news.

4. Big Cartoon Forum

BCDB Hits 150K Entries

It took a while, but we are finally here! The Big Cartoon DataBase hit the milestone of 150,000 entries earlier today with the addition of the cartoon The Polish Language. This film was added to BCDB on May 9th, 2014 at 4:23 PM.

5. Big Cartoon Forum

Warner Brings Back Animated Stone-Age Family

Funnyman Will Ferrell and partner Adam McKay are working on bringing back everyone’s favorite stone-age family. The duo’s production company Gary Sanchez Productions is in development on a new Flintstones animated feature.

6. Big Cartoon Forum

Disney To Feast In France

The follow up to Disney’s 2013 Academy Award Winning short Paperman has been announced, and it will premiere at France’s Annecy International Animated Film Festival. Titled The Feast, the short looks to be based on the same stylized CG techniques used on last years Paperman, a more natural and hand-drawn look to computer animation.

7. Big Cartoon Forum

Renegades of Animation: Pat Sullivan

Pat Sullivan became famous worldwide for his creation of Felix the Cat. What most animation histories gloss over is Sullivan’s checkered past and longtime standing as a wildcat renegade. He didn’t follow the rules. And he made damn sure to fully protect his intellectual properties.

The Mystery Cartoon Character Game, ongoing-ier.

Discussion in 'Free-For-All' started by oneuglybunny, Dec 31, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. emeraldisle

emeraldisle Moderator Staff Member I SUPPORT BCDB!

Jules Verne, I like your style. The answer is Phileas Fogg, from "Around The World In Eighty Days." That is, the Australian production from Air Programs International.

1. That story's been presented in both live action and animation many times over.

2. Traveling the world in eighty days was something man had never done at the time the book was written. For this animated series, Fogg sought the hand of Belinda Maze.

3. He always had something at his disposal.
    Last edited: Jul 18, 2015
    • Winner Winner x 1
  2. oneuglybunny

oneuglybunny Moderator Staff Member Forum Member

Wow, that was fast. Yes this is Phileas Fogg from the Air Programmes International series. In the book, he's Phineas Fogg, who makes the wager at a London social club when the London Times reports that the trans-India railway is complete, making a journey around the Earth doable, in theory, in 80 days. Oh, it was cute blonde Belinda Maze, daughter of Lord Maze, that motivated Fogg in the cartoon series. She'd show up at times to aid Fogg in his travels, once causing quite a stir at a reclusive monastery.

That's another +1 on your tally sheet, EI. Take the board and quiz us with your newest Mystery Character. :)
  3. emeraldisle

Thanks, OUB. Now here's one that I couldn't resist posting:

1. I appear just once in an animated feature film.

2. I'm the third and last of an iconic cartoon character's three doppelgangers.

3. Thanks to the main villain's ruthless henchmen, I end up in the hospital. Hence, the other guy's reason for filling in for me.
  4. emeraldisle

Guess I need to post three more clues after all:

4. My movie premiered only a few months after the series that spawned it was cancelled.

5. I'm a Bond-type secret agent, whereas the other two doppelgangers were a millionaire and a king.

6. I do eventually make it to Rome, only to beaten up by my double's wife and friends due to mistaken identity.
  5. Glowworm

Glowworm Moderator Staff Member I SUPPORT BCDB!

This would be Rock Slang from The Man Called Flintstone. I've actually never seen this movie but that last clue did it for me, as I've recently looked up the summery for the movie out of curiosity.
    • Winner Winner x 1
  6. emeraldisle

Actually, it's Rock Slag, but you're absolutely right. Now to explain:

1. The movie was his only appearance.

2. Self-explanatory.

3. He was pursued by the Green Goose's henchmen Ali and Bobo, who injured him severely enough for him to be hospitalized. This led to Fred taking his place.

4. "The Man Called Flintstone" premiered on August 3, 1966. The animated series had been cancelled back in the spring of that year.

5. The other two doppelgangers were J.L. Guttrocks, and the King Of Stoneslyvania. Rock, of course, was an agent.

6. When Rock showed up in Rome to take over, Wilma, Betty, and Barney beat him up, having caught Fred dancing with Tanya,. This due to their mistaking Rock for Fred.

So you get another turn. Good job.. :)
  7. Glowworm

Yeah, sorry about the misspelling. I do recall watching some animated Flintstone movie during my childhood--but I don't remember which one it was.
    1. My rival and I are off to have a date with a lovely lady.
    2. Unbeknownst to me, but not to my rival, she is out shopping.
    3. Naturally the rival does some shenanigans to get rid of me such as dressing up as her and shooting me in the butt with an arrow.
  8. oneuglybunny

Casbah the large brown rabbit from Hare Splitter, directed by Isadore "Friz" Freleng. He and Bugs Bunny compete for the affections of Daisy Lou, a one-time character.
  9. Glowworm

Yup--Casbah from Hare Splitter. Clue three refers to Bugs dressing up as Daisy Lou, and later shooting Casbah in the butt with an arrow as Mr. Daniel Cupid.
  10. oneuglybunny

Cute cartoon. Any idea why Bugs Bunny and Casbah live in holes in the ground while Daisy Lou lives in a clapboard bungalow house?

Anyway, let me tap this vein:

1) This character appears regularly in more than one animated televised cartoon series, like Dick Dastardly or Bugs Bunny.

2) Among the main group, this character is the Smart Guy. The others are usually on the ball as well, while two are comic relief goofballs.

3) Breaking the Damsel In Distress stereotype, this character is one of the most competent and capable female characters in an animated series, especially in her founding series.
  11. Glowworm

I'm pretty certain I may know this one, but will have to wait and see--and I want to give someone else a turn.

As for the Bugs Bunny short, I actually never realized that Bugs and Casbah both lived in holes while Daisy Lou had a nice house until I was older and people on the internet started pointing it out. I know it is a cartoon, but still...
  12. emeraldisle

I have it figured out, but I'll wait a bit before posting the answer.
  13. emeraldisle

Well, since I'm all alone here, I might as well post the answer: Velma Dinkley, from "Scooby-Doo, Where Are You?" and all other iterations.

1. Self-explanatory.

2. She's the official brains of the team.

3. Self-explanatory again.
    • Winner Winner x 1
  14. oneuglybunny

Definitely, this is Velma Dinkley from the Scooby Doo series, the brains of the Mystery Incorporated outfit. Thanks for giving Velma some love. :D I'll append your newest +1 to the scoreboard, and let you field the next Mystery Character. :)
  15. emeraldisle

Thanks, OUB. Now how about these clues?:

1. Our toons go way back to the silent era.

2. We began the way many others did, in a comic strip.

3. Like Gloop and Gleep of the Herculoids, we're distinguishable by our height.
  16. saltyboot

saltyboot A Moderating Moderator Staff Member Forum Member

The ones that came to mind are already on the list, so off to do research.
  17. Glowworm

My cartoon knowledge is very small when it comes to old black and white cartoons.
  18. emeraldisle

Ok, three more clues:

4. You'd think one of us was a dog instead of a human.

5. Two years from now, our strip will be 110 years old, even though it ended in 1983.

6. And next year marks the 100th anniversary of our first cartoon.
  19. oneuglybunny

Good second set of clues; I nearly threw the brick of Van Beuren's Tom and Jerry. :bag: These are Mutt and Jeff, created by newspaper cartoonist Bud Fisher, adapted into animated cartoons by Raoul Barré Studios. :shame:
    • Winner Winner x 1
  20. emeraldisle

Good job once again, OUB. Now to enlighten those unfamiliar with the duo:

1. Their shorts were indeed silent.

2. Self-explanatory.

3. Mutt's the tall one, and Jeff's the short one.

4. Self-explanatory.

5. Their strip goes back to 1907.

6. Their first cartoon was produced in 1916. On a side note, there were also silent live action shorts produced in between the strip and cartoons.

So now you have another turn. :)
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.