1. Big Cartoon Forum

You WIll Need To Reset Your Password!!!

We just moved hosts on this system, and this has caused a few updates. One is the way we encode and store the encoded passwords.

Your old passwords will NOT work. You will need to reset your password. This is normal. Just click on reset password from the log in screen. Should be smooth as silk to do...

Sorry for the hassle.

Dave Koch
  2. Big Cartoon Forum

Are You Just Hanging Out?

Just lurking? Join the club, we'd love to have you in the Big Cartoon Forum! Sign up is easy- just enter your name and password.... or join using your Facebook account!

Membership has it's privileges... you can post and get your questions answered directly. But you can also join our community, and help other people with their questions, You can add to the discussion. And it's free! So join today!

Dave Koch
  3. Big Cartoon Forum

Other Side Of Maleficent

I have been looking forward to Maleficent with equal amounts of anticipation and dread. On one hand, she is easily my favorite Disney villain, so cold and so pure, and I want desperately to see more of her and her back-story. On the other hand, she is easily my favorite Disney villain, and I would hate to see her parodied, taken lightly or ultimately destroyed in a film that does not understand this great character. The good news is that this film almost gets it right; but that is also the bad news.

4. Big Cartoon Forum

BCDB Hits 150K Entries

It took a while, but we are finally here! The Big Cartoon DataBase hit the milestone of 150,000 entries earlier today with the addition of the cartoon The Polish Language. This film was added to BCDB on May 9th, 2014 at 4:23 PM.

5. Big Cartoon Forum

Warner Brings Back Animated Stone-Age Family

Funnyman Will Ferrell and partner Adam McKay are working on bringing back everyone’s favorite stone-age family. The duo’s production company Gary Sanchez Productions is in development on a new Flintstones animated feature.

6. Big Cartoon Forum

Disney To Feast In France

The follow up to Disney’s 2013 Academy Award Winning short Paperman has been announced, and it will premiere at France’s Annecy International Animated Film Festival. Titled The Feast, the short looks to be based on the same stylized CG techniques used on last years Paperman, a more natural and hand-drawn look to computer animation.

7. Big Cartoon Forum

Renegades of Animation: Pat Sullivan

Pat Sullivan became famous worldwide for his creation of Felix the Cat. What most animation histories gloss over is Sullivan’s checkered past and longtime standing as a wildcat renegade. He didn’t follow the rules. And he made damn sure to fully protect his intellectual properties.

The Mystery Cartoon Character Game, ongoing-ier.

Discussion in 'Free-For-All' started by oneuglybunny, Dec 31, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. emeraldisle

emeraldisle Moderator Staff Member I SUPPORT BCDB!

Yes, Saltyboot, it's Teabiscuit. All clues are self-explanatory, so you go again. Great job. :)
  2. saltyboot

saltyboot A Moderating Moderator Staff Member Forum Member

Sorry it took me so long. Busy day.

I appeared once in a movie.

The protagonist idolizes me, but when I'm found I'm just a shell of my former self.

I train my replacement.
  3. emeraldisle

I have no idea. I predict Glowworm will have the right answer.
  4. oneuglybunny

oneuglybunny Moderator Staff Member Forum Member

Could this be Bigweld from Blue Sky Studio's Robots? The big 'bot who built Robotropolis is found by Rodney Copperbottom living as a recluse in his home, making structures out of dominoes?
  5. saltyboot

Nope, not Bigweld. As far as I know, he never trained a replacement. Here is the next set of clues.

My voice actor is famous for having a wonderful life.
    My movie is a sequel.
    I enforce the law in a town out in the desert.
  6. emeraldisle

I have the answer now, but I'll still wait to see if someone else gets it.
  7. Glowworm

Glowworm Moderator Staff Member I SUPPORT BCDB!

I have it too now. It's Sheriff Wylie Burp from Fievel Goes West. I haven't seen this movie since I first saw it as a kid when I was really little--it's my second earliest movie theater memory since Disney's Beauty and the Beast--except I really don't remember much of it at all--although I had a kid's book based off it.

Oh yeah, and I never actually have ever seen the first American Tail movie, bizarrely enough.
    • Winner Winner x 1
  8. saltyboot

That right, it's Sheriff Wylie Burp.

Fievel idolized Burp and found him down and out.
    Burp trained Tiger to be his replacement.
    He enforced the law in a town called Green River.
    His voice actor was James Stewart.
  9. Glowworm

Yeah, the James Stewart clue helped me--ironically this is the second time emeraldisle has put me on the spot by believing I can solve for the character--and it turns out to be an American Tail character.

Anyhow, here's one that shouldn't need too many clues.

1. I have an extremely short but memorable scene with the main character.
    2. When asked why people call me by such a strange name--I show him.
    3. I am human, but breathe fire like a mythological creature.
  10. emeraldisle

Just felt I owed you a turn. Anyway, I'm completely stumped as to who this character may be.

The only one I could find doesn't match the clues sufficiently.
    Last edited: May 4, 2015
  11. oneuglybunny

Methinks this is the Dragon Lady that appeared in that Daffy Duck cartoon, was it Quackbusters? "Say, why do they call you the Dragon Lady, anyway?" Receives the most informative answer possible: roast duck.
    • Winner Winner x 1
  12. Glowworm

Yes, oneuglybunny, it is the Dragon Lady--however the cartoon in question is "China Jones." (Quackbusters is actually the name of one of those Looney Tunes movies in which a story is built around pre-existing shorts. That one was one of the best of the lot in my opinion.) This exact clip from this short was also used in a Speedy and Daffy short entitled "Muchos Locos"--but I really don't want to mention anything more about that one.

All the clues are self-explanatory.
    • Useful Useful x 1
  13. oneuglybunny

Oh yes, Daffy as a detective who gets a cookie fortune that reads, "Help! I'm being held prisoner in a Chinese laundry." So, off he goes to crack the case, and Daffy is just the duck to do it, because he's already cracked to begin with.

So, I'm going to need a character. Preferably a loony one. Oh, he'll do...

1) This character has had only one appearance in an animated feature film. Before that, he's been a staple of a syndicated comic strip.

2) I promised you loony, and I've delivered: this is the least sane character in the lineup. And that lineup has some doozies in it.

3) Albert Einstein once postulated that nothing can exceed the speed of light. This character disproves that theory, on camera.
  14. emeraldisle

I think I found this one faster than the speed of light. It's Hammy the squirrel from "Over The Hedge."
    • Winner Winner x 1
  15. Glowworm

Actually, that's the line Daffy gives us in fake Chinese at the end because he owes Porky a laundry bill and is forced to work for him to pay it off. Apparently the fortune cookie reads that someone is being held prisoner in a Chinese Bakery. Also, this short has not aged well because it is parodying an old tv show called "China Smith" which has fallen into obscurity. ( The main character is an Irish detective, which is why Daffy is talking with an Irish accent of all things in China.)
  16. oneuglybunny

Yes, EmeraldIsle, this is Hammy the Squirrel, animated in DreamWorks Over The Hedge, which is based upon the syndicated comic strip by Michael Fry and Tom Lewis. Most of the small animals in the film are quirky, but Hammy is clearly the furthest out in left field. Already hyperactive, being a squirrel, a shot of an energy drink gives Hammy "bullet time" wherein laser beams inch along while Hammy ambles casually. "I got the coooookie." And EI gets the +Ooooone, and control of the board. :D

Ah, thanks for righting my thinking, Glowworm. One hazard of being an old grunk is that my memory has gaps and rust in it. Nice of you to spackle and oil my poor brain. :)
  17. emeraldisle

Thanks, OUB. And now, in keeping with game traditions, I present these clues:

1. I'm an avian predator of rodents.

2. I try but fail to catch the protagonist with an explosive Cinco De Mayo present.

3. At the end of the short, I get a baseball toss at the front, and darts in my backside. Ouch!
  18. Glowworm

El Vulturo from "Tortilla Flaps."
    • Winner Winner x 1
  19. emeraldisle

Yes, it's he, though I think he's actually Senor Vulturo. All clues are self-explanatory, so you're up again, Glowworm. Good job, as always. :)
  20. Glowworm

I believe he can easily be referred to by both names, as the frightened mice call him "El Vulturo," while Speedy at one tells the mice that he will fix "Senor Vulturo" but good. Either way, he's a hilarious character and "Tortilla Flaps" is one of my favorite Speedy shorts.

Anyhow--here we go, sorry for the delay.

1. I assure the audience not to worry about me when it clearly looks like my life is in danger.
    2. I am a well spoken character--then again, I am British.
    3. When I say British, I mean to the point where I wear a monocle and constantly drink tea.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.