1. Big Cartoon Forum

You WIll Need To Reset Your Password!!!

We just moved hosts on this system, and this has caused a few updates. One is the way we encode and store the encoded passwords.

Your old passwords will NOT work. You will need to reset your password. This is normal. Just click on reset password from the log in screen. Should be smooth as silk to do...

Sorry for the hassle.

Dave Koch
  2. Big Cartoon Forum

Are You Just Hanging Out?

Just lurking? Join the club, we'd love to have you in the Big Cartoon Forum! Sign up is easy- just enter your name and password.... or join using your Facebook account!

Membership has it's privileges... you can post and get your questions answered directly. But you can also join our community, and help other people with their questions, You can add to the discussion. And it's free! So join today!

Dave Koch
  3. Big Cartoon Forum

Other Side Of Maleficent

I have been looking forward to Maleficent with equal amounts of anticipation and dread. On one hand, she is easily my favorite Disney villain, so cold and so pure, and I want desperately to see more of her and her back-story. On the other hand, she is easily my favorite Disney villain, and I would hate to see her parodied, taken lightly or ultimately destroyed in a film that does not understand this great character. The good news is that this film almost gets it right; but that is also the bad news.

4. Big Cartoon Forum

BCDB Hits 150K Entries

It took a while, but we are finally here! The Big Cartoon DataBase hit the milestone of 150,000 entries earlier today with the addition of the cartoon The Polish Language. This film was added to BCDB on May 9th, 2014 at 4:23 PM.

5. Big Cartoon Forum

Warner Brings Back Animated Stone-Age Family

Funnyman Will Ferrell and partner Adam McKay are working on bringing back everyone’s favorite stone-age family. The duo’s production company Gary Sanchez Productions is in development on a new Flintstones animated feature.

6. Big Cartoon Forum

Disney To Feast In France

The follow up to Disney’s 2013 Academy Award Winning short Paperman has been announced, and it will premiere at France’s Annecy International Animated Film Festival. Titled The Feast, the short looks to be based on the same stylized CG techniques used on last years Paperman, a more natural and hand-drawn look to computer animation.

7. Big Cartoon Forum

Renegades of Animation: Pat Sullivan

Pat Sullivan became famous worldwide for his creation of Felix the Cat. What most animation histories gloss over is Sullivan’s checkered past and longtime standing as a wildcat renegade. He didn’t follow the rules. And he made damn sure to fully protect his intellectual properties.

The Mystery Cartoon Character Game, now with 20% more ongoing.

Discussion in 'Free-For-All' started by oneuglybunny, Mar 31, 2016.

1. Glowworm

Glowworm Moderator Staff Member I SUPPORT BCDB!

These must be the Gruesomes, a prehistoric (!) monster family who are neighbors to the Flintstones.
    • Winner Winner x 1
  2. emeraldisle

emeraldisle Moderator Staff Member I SUPPORT BCDB!

Glowworm, you hit the nail on the head. It's the Gruesomes, all right. Good job. :).

1. They were seen in the "Flintstones" episodes "The Gruesomes" and "The Hatrocks And The Gruesomes." They were last seen in the "Pebbles And Bamm-Bamm Show" episode "The Birthday Present."

2. Their home is Tombstone Manor.

3. "The Hatrocks And The Gruesomes" had the Flintstones, Rubbles, and Gruesomes using "Bug Music" to send the Hatrocks packing. "I Said Yeah, Yeah, Yeah" is a genuine earworm.

So you go again.
  3. Glowworm

Thanks, just looking stuff up on a whim at times in the past come in handy later on.
    Anyhow, here we go.
    1. I seek a magical artifact of power, which for some reason looks exactly like a kitchen utensil.
    2. I practice dark magic and use it to try to stop a group of intruders who seek to put me back into a place of rest.
    3. I placed a princess into an eternal slumber when she refused to give me the powerful artifact--and the group's red headed damsel in distress as well.
  4. emeraldisle

I know this one, but will only provide the answer if no one else does.
  5. emeraldisle

Ok, since there were no takers, I'll answer. It's Maldor The Malevolent, from "The 13 Ghosts Of Scooby-Doo."

1. He was after the Wonder Wand Of Zagras, which looked like a soup ladle.

2. He tried to prevent Scooby and company from getting it.

3. He put Princess Esmeralda and Daphne under the sleep of the centuries.
    • Winner Winner x 1
  6. Glowworm

Yup, this is Maldor the Malevolent, one of the coolest looking Scooby Doo villains in my opinion.
  7. emeraldisle

Thanks, Glowworm. Now for a slight change of pace:

1. I'm named after a classic nursery song.

2. I become a super strong giant after eating oysters laced with vitamin pills.

3. Like many others on the show, I go up against a wonderful, wonderful cat who reaches into his bag of tricks.
  8. oneuglybunny

oneuglybunny Moderator Staff Member Forum Member

Well, this has to be one of the adversaries of Felix the Cat, originally directed by Otto Mesmer for Pat Sullivan's studio. It can't be The Professor, who's straight-up book smart but badly Genre Blind. Nor can it be Master Cylinder, who's a robot and doesn't eat organic food. Uh-oh, Felix has quite a sizable filmography, so good luck to anyone who can dig up this anti-cat adversary.
  9. emeraldisle

Three more clues:

4. I'm recruited by a mad scientist and talking bulldog to be an unlikely safecracker.

5. I'm a sea creature named for a celestial object.

6. My species is mentioned in classic songs by The Cyrkle and Terry Jacks.
  10. emeraldisle

OUB came the closest, so he gets the next turn. The answer is Twinkle, the starfish, from the "Felix The Cat" episode "Oysters And Starfishes."

Now to explain:

1. He's named after "Twinkle, Twinkle, Little Star."

2. He eats oysters laced with vitamin pills. These make him grow, and give him super strength.

3. Self-explanatory. Felix defeats him by putting a special sauce on the oysters. As a result, he once again becomes a tiny starfish.

4. He's recruited by the Professor and Rock Bottom to open safes.

5. Self-explanatory again.

6. The songs "Red Rubber Ball" and "Seasons In The Sun" both mention starfish.
    • Like Like x 1
  11. oneuglybunny

Gee, that's nice. It still counts as an unguessed character, though. I mean, that's like cheering that my bowling ball is in the correct lane, but a gutter ball still scores a zero nevertheless.
    Okay, he's a secondary character, but the picking are gettin' thin. Here goes:

1) This character appears in a regularly televised cartoon series that's no longer in production.

1a) Neither this character nor his boss made an appearance in the live action adaptation. Which might've been a good thing.

2) This character's boss has already been tapped as a Mystery Character. Now, it's time to highlight the boss's right hand man.

3) This character remains loyal to his superior, though he does at times question his boss's decisions. Perhaps it's the zero percent success rate that keeps this character looking so morose.
  12. emeraldisle

Can't think of it right now. I'd have to check all the live action versions of classic cartoons.
  13. oneuglybunny

More clues time, intermediate class.

4) Here's another case of a character's name predisposing him to a role in life. In this character's case, he's forever doomed to be a social parasite.

5) Surprise! This character is human, head to toe. What's more, this characters' world is peopled mostly with people. Not very bright people, but still people.

6) Ah, but there are exceptions. This character's boss is not human. Nor is he a Good Guy. But he's the boss, speaks English with an accent, and wears a nice suit. His underling wears a slightly less nice suit.
  14. oneuglybunny

And the cupcake clues time.

7) Parasite, sponge, mendicant, leech, bum, _____.

8) His boss is a canid in sheep's wool clothing.

9) His adversary is also a canid, poorly dressed. Going for the humble but lovable look, presumably.
  15. emeraldisle

I had a good idea from the beginning, but decided to hold off until now. It's Mooch, from "Underdog."

The first set of clues are self-explanatory.

4. Mooch was clearly meant to be a criminal.

5 and 6 are self-explanatory, too.

7. All those words are synonyms for a lowlife like him.

8. Riff Raff is a wolf.

9. Self-explanatory once again.
    • Winner Winner x 1
  16. oneuglybunny

Of course, this is Riff Raff's loyal minion, Mooch, from Total Television's Underdog. He's mightily morose as underlings go, but there's no faulting his loyalty. Thanks for keeping this poor guy out of the Unguessed Sea, Em. :)
  17. emeraldisle

Thanks, OUB. Now how about this one:

1. I lead a trio.

2. My boss is also a relative.

3. My nemesis calls me everything but my real name.
  18. emeraldisle

Last three clues:

4. My partners and I pursue a "Dredded" foe.

5. Our adversary has a gang of his own.

6. My voice actor has also voiced a boy who summons a genie, the sidekick of an undersea superhero, a shipwrecked teenager looking for his dad, the blond boyfriend of a rock star, a diver, and the leader of a team of ghost chasers.
  19. oneuglybunny

Ah, I should have remembered, but the Malicious Misnaming didn't click. This must be Drak Junior, nephew of Count Dracula, and the team leader of the Drak Pack. Their mission is to thwart the nefarious schemes of Doctor Dred. Drak Junior is voiced by Jerry Dexter, who's not quite the stalwart that Daws Butler and Don Messick have been for Hanna-Barbera. Nonetheless, Jerry Dexter has done plenty of voice acting for H-B Studios, including the character of Alan Mayberry for Josie and the Pussycats, among many others.
  20. emeraldisle

Right again, OUB. Good job. :). You get the next character.