1. Big Cartoon Forum

You WIll Need To Reset Your Password!!!

We just moved hosts on this system, and this has caused a few updates. One is the way we encode and store the encoded passwords.

Your old passwords will NOT work. You will need to reset your password. This is normal. Just click on reset password from the log in screen. Should be smooth as silk to do...

Sorry for the hassle.

Dave Koch
  2. Big Cartoon Forum

Are You Just Hanging Out?

Just lurking? Join the club, we'd love to have you in the Big Cartoon Forum! Sign up is easy- just enter your name and password.... or join using your Facebook account!

Membership has it's privileges... you can post and get your questions answered directly. But you can also join our community, and help other people with their questions, You can add to the discussion. And it's free! So join today!

Dave Koch
  3. Big Cartoon Forum

Other Side Of Maleficent

I have been looking forward to Maleficent with equal amounts of anticipation and dread. On one hand, she is easily my favorite Disney villain, so cold and so pure, and I want desperately to see more of her and her back-story. On the other hand, she is easily my favorite Disney villain, and I would hate to see her parodied, taken lightly or ultimately destroyed in a film that does not understand this great character. The good news is that this film almost gets it right; but that is also the bad news.

4. Big Cartoon Forum

BCDB Hits 150K Entries

It took a while, but we are finally here! The Big Cartoon DataBase hit the milestone of 150,000 entries earlier today with the addition of the cartoon The Polish Language. This film was added to BCDB on May 9th, 2014 at 4:23 PM.

5. Big Cartoon Forum

Warner Brings Back Animated Stone-Age Family

Funnyman Will Ferrell and partner Adam McKay are working on bringing back everyone’s favorite stone-age family. The duo’s production company Gary Sanchez Productions is in development on a new Flintstones animated feature.

6. Big Cartoon Forum

Disney To Feast In France

The follow up to Disney’s 2013 Academy Award Winning short Paperman has been announced, and it will premiere at France’s Annecy International Animated Film Festival. Titled The Feast, the short looks to be based on the same stylized CG techniques used on last years Paperman, a more natural and hand-drawn look to computer animation.

7. Big Cartoon Forum

Renegades of Animation: Pat Sullivan

Pat Sullivan became famous worldwide for his creation of Felix the Cat. What most animation histories gloss over is Sullivan’s checkered past and longtime standing as a wildcat renegade. He didn’t follow the rules. And he made damn sure to fully protect his intellectual properties.

The Mystery Cartoon Character Game, now with 20% more ongoing.

Discussion in 'Free-For-All' started by oneuglybunny, Mar 31, 2016.

1. oneuglybunny

oneuglybunny Moderator Staff Member Forum Member

A brick that's precisely on target. Yes, this is Fleabag, housemate to Spiffy, from DePatie-Freleng's The Oddball Couple, which is a rough parody of Neil Simon's play The Odd Couple.
  2. emeraldisle

emeraldisle Moderator Staff Member I SUPPORT BCDB!

Thanks, OUB: Now for a character who doesn't deserve to be untapped:

1. I was animated only once for an early 70's cartoon show.

2. This time, I interact with both humans and forest animals to save lives.

3. I've been a first responder all my life. Just ask any boy who was trapped in a well.
  3. oneuglybunny

Fiilmation Studios got the okay from Rod Weatherwax to produce Lassie's Rescue Rangers, starring that magnificent collie, Lassie. Fun fact: the first live action Lassie was a female. However, when it came time to go into some water and swim ... the lady declined. A male collie was brought in as a stunt double, and that collie performed so well that he took over the title role.
    • Winner Winner x 1
  4. emeraldisle

OUB, you nailed it. Good job. :). All three clues are self-explanatory, so you go again.
  5. oneuglybunny

Hmm, I can't think of a straight-up rescuer offhand. The closest I can name might be this stalwart fellow:

1) This character is in the public domain, dating from old tales and myths from long ago. Having some dandy exploits to his name nicely helps the story-writing process.

2) This character does some nice rescues in his animated feature: he rescues the damsel in distress from a monster, and saves his boyhood friend from a death sentence.

3) Normally, this relatively normal human guy should have zero chance against this story's villain. However, Even Evil Has Standards, and the villain actually plays fair in his case.
  6. Glowworm

Glowworm Moderator Staff Member I SUPPORT BCDB!

This is Sinbad of Sinbad Legend of the Seven Seas.
    • Winner Winner x 1
  7. oneuglybunny

Precisely right, this is Sinbad, Legend of the Seven Seas, in particular from the Dreamworks Animation version. A character as old as Sinbad is going to amass a reputation, deserved or not, and of course, enter Public Domain territory. Sinbad in this instance rescues Miranda from the giant snowbird, and tags out Proteus, who had his neck on the chopping block at the time. Sinbad dares to reclaim the Book of Peace from Eris, the goddess of discord. A mortal versus a goddess should normally be a Curb Stomp Battle, but Eris surprisingly plays fair. She did cross her clavicle, after all. Good answer, Glowworm; that's a new +1 and control of the board. :)
  8. Glowworm

Okay, got one.
    1. I show up at the beginning and the end of the first short featuring this character.
    2. I am a generic cutesy Disney-like rodent.
    3. A wackier version of the same kind of rodent walks with me behind a tree and then beats me up off camera.
  9. saltyboot

saltyboot A Moderating Moderator Staff Member Forum Member

This is Sammy Squirrel, from Screwball Squirrel. Screwy Squirrel is the one who brings him behind the tree to beat him up for being cute.
    • Winner Winner x 1
  10. Glowworm

Yep, this is the unfortunate Sammy Squirrel--who is a bit too cute for Screwy to bear.
  11. saltyboot

My first appearance was in a short, and I looked and acted very different from my other appearances decades later.
    In this short, I am a full-on brat who enjoys tormenting a hotel employee.
    My behavior cost the employee his job, which he was happy about.
  12. oneuglybunny

I think this is Pete Junior, son of Peg Leg Pete, the Disney go-to antagonist. The bellhop that Junior torments is Donald Duck. Later versions of Pete's son follow the Carl Banks model, and make him more relatable by having him cringe in his bellicose father's shadow. Under the Goof Troop series, he's Max's best bud P.J.
    • Winner Winner x 1
  13. saltyboot

That's right, it's Pete Junior. The short is called Bellboy Donald. You got yourself another star and control of the board.
  14. oneuglybunny

Yay, I doed it rite. :D Now to think up another worthwhile character. Aha, here's one:

1) This character has appeared only once to date in an animated feature film. With regrets, it's not an entirely animated film; Hollywood must include a ringer in these things.

2) This character has two similar companions with very different personalities, and gains one more as part of the story. The "one more" is the live actor in animated form.

3) Fair Play Rule: this character is not human. Associates with them, certainly, but is not one himself.
  15. emeraldisle

I haven't a clue, as I haven't seen very many live action/animated films.
  16. Glowworm

*wakes up thread* I don't know if Mr. Bunny realizes that it's still his turn, but more clues are clearly needed. I have a vague idea of who the character may be, but I need more clues to pinpoint it.
  17. oneuglybunny

Oh, my. I'd forgotten I was up. Now, who was I thinking about? Oh, yeah, him ...

4) Of the main foursome, this character is the most likely to charge headlong into danger. That's just the kind of jaunty, fearless character that he is.

5) This character and his two associates have names that apply more to genres than to people, which in this case is entirely appropriate.

6) If this character's voice sounds vaguely familiar, it's because the same actor plays a captain on a live action television series. A captain, I might add, without an eyepatch, a hook, or a peg leg.
  18. Glowworm

Bingo. Exactly the movie I was looking for. The Pagemaster is the movie, the character is Adventure. I knew it had to be one of the three books, but the clues were too vague to know for certain which one it was.
    • Winner Winner x 1
  19. oneuglybunny

Yup, this is Adventure, the pirate book from The Pagemaster, voiced by Patrick "Captain Picard" Stewart. His associates are Fantasy (Whoopi Goldberg) and Horror (Frank Welker). They get to pour some fun into worrywort Richard Tyler (Macauley Culkin). That's good for a +1, Glowworm, and my thnaks for remembering one of the few Turner Feature Animation productions. :)
  20. Glowworm

It was one of my earlier childhood memories, had a picture book based off the movie too.
    1. I am an amputee--I've lost a limb.
    2. I DON'T want to be returned to the wild.
    3. An April Fools Day prank had the filmmakers of the studio that produced my film claim that I've been in every film that Studio produced--hiding of course. I'm a master of disguise and camouflage.