1. Big Cartoon Forum

You WIll Need To Reset Your Password!!!

We just moved hosts on this system, and this has caused a few updates. One is the way we encode and store the encoded passwords.

Your old passwords will NOT work. You will need to reset your password. This is normal. Just click on reset password from the log in screen. Should be smooth as silk to do...

Sorry for the hassle.

Dave Koch
  2. Big Cartoon Forum

Are You Just Hanging Out?

Just lurking? Join the club, we'd love to have you in the Big Cartoon Forum! Sign up is easy- just enter your name and password.... or join using your Facebook account!

Membership has it's privileges... you can post and get your questions answered directly. But you can also join our community, and help other people with their questions, You can add to the discussion. And it's free! So join today!

Dave Koch
  3. Big Cartoon Forum

Other Side Of Maleficent

I have been looking forward to Maleficent with equal amounts of anticipation and dread. On one hand, she is easily my favorite Disney villain, so cold and so pure, and I want desperately to see more of her and her back-story. On the other hand, she is easily my favorite Disney villain, and I would hate to see her parodied, taken lightly or ultimately destroyed in a film that does not understand this great character. The good news is that this film almost gets it right; but that is also the bad news.

4. Big Cartoon Forum

BCDB Hits 150K Entries

It took a while, but we are finally here! The Big Cartoon DataBase hit the milestone of 150,000 entries earlier today with the addition of the cartoon The Polish Language. This film was added to BCDB on May 9th, 2014 at 4:23 PM.

5. Big Cartoon Forum

Warner Brings Back Animated Stone-Age Family

Funnyman Will Ferrell and partner Adam McKay are working on bringing back everyone’s favorite stone-age family. The duo’s production company Gary Sanchez Productions is in development on a new Flintstones animated feature.

6. Big Cartoon Forum

Disney To Feast In France

The follow up to Disney’s 2013 Academy Award Winning short Paperman has been announced, and it will premiere at France’s Annecy International Animated Film Festival. Titled The Feast, the short looks to be based on the same stylized CG techniques used on last years Paperman, a more natural and hand-drawn look to computer animation.

7. Big Cartoon Forum

Renegades of Animation: Pat Sullivan

Pat Sullivan became famous worldwide for his creation of Felix the Cat. What most animation histories gloss over is Sullivan’s checkered past and longtime standing as a wildcat renegade. He didn’t follow the rules. And he made damn sure to fully protect his intellectual properties.

The Mystery Cartoon Character Game, now with 20% more ongoing.

Discussion in 'Free-For-All' started by oneuglybunny, Mar 31, 2016.

1. oneuglybunny

oneuglybunny Moderator Staff Member Forum Member

Well, at first, my thinking ran to Simba from Disney's The Lion King. He did abandon the Pridelands after the death of Mufasa, which would leave the figurative crown to the eldest male, Scar. However, in his denial with Nala, Simba reveals that he no longer regards himself as King, or even heir apparent.

No, I must look elsewhere. Perhaps, Aragorn, regent in exile who took the name Strider, who headed the quest party called The Fellowship of the Ring. Imagine his dismay at learning that Gondor's steward, Denethor, had taken not only the throne and command of the army of Gondor, but had usurped the crown as well. It never fails: you go away for a couple o' years to find a hobbit, and this happens. Taken largely intact in the Bakshi-directed Lord Of The Rings animated production.
  2. saltyboot

saltyboot A Moderating Moderator Staff Member Forum Member

Nope, not Aragorn. Time for me to narrow this down.

Nobody recognized me as a carnivore.
    That is, until I started wearing clothes.
    I have a striking resemblance to another character of the same studio (From just 2 years before).
  3. Glowworm

Glowworm Moderator Staff Member I SUPPORT BCDB!

Ah, this is the lion from the 1954 Disney short "Social Lion" who bears a striking resemblance to Lambert the Sheepish Lion from 1952.
    • Winner Winner x 1
  4. saltyboot

Yes, it is the Social Lion. He was taken from Africa and brought to the big city. Things didn't go so well.
    • Informative Informative x 1
  5. Glowworm

Thanks,
    1. I'm a little guy with a big bark.
    2. In my first short, my new owners think it's a good idea to leave me alone in the house with the murderous cat.
    3. Don't worry, I can bark the crap out of him onto the ceiling.
  6. saltyboot

This is Frisky Puppy!

• Winner Winner x 1
  7. Glowworm

Yup, this is Frisky Puppy--most memorable thing about him--barking Claude onto the ceiling.
  8. saltyboot

I'm a kid with a unique ability.
    I have a big attitude as a result of being bullied, and not being allowed to participate in my own game.
    My friend is supposed to be the bad guy, but he's really not.
  9. emeraldisle

emeraldisle Moderator Staff Member I SUPPORT BCDB!

This is another mystery. Someone else must have seen it.
  10. saltyboot

Three more.

Deep down, I know I'm a racer.
    At the end, it's revealed that I'm a princess.
    My buddy also knows what it's like being an outcast.
  11. oneuglybunny

Oh, of course, this must be the precocious Vanellope von Schweetz from Wreck-It Ralph.
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  12. saltyboot

Yes OUB, it's Vanellope, the glitch from the game Sugar Rush in "Wreck-It Ralph." Of course it turns out that she is the princess and main character of the game.
  13. oneuglybunny

Nice. :) Gee, now I feel blue, because the Mystery Character I have in mind is nowhere near as well known. He is viewable on Youtube, so ... maybe?

1) This character has appeared only once to date (as far as I can determine) in an animated cartoon viewable on YouTube. It's a drawn-inked-colored cartoon without CGI.

2) This character says only one word throughout the entirety of the cartoon, which doubles as the cartoon's title. Unless we count yelps of terror and yowls of pain as "words."

3) Having suffered an injury, this character visits a hospital for treatment. Worst. Decision. Ever.
  14. emeraldisle

emeraldisle Moderator Staff Member I SUPPORT BCDB!

Guess I'll have to go to YouTube for the answer.
  15. Glowworm

Could this possibly be the blue cat from the "What A Cartoon Short" "Help!" ?
    • Winner Winner x 1
  16. oneuglybunny

IT possibly could, because that's precisely who it is. His name is Jof, from the cartoon Help? After pricking his finger on an embroidery needle, Jof visits a hospital where the entire staff is evil or insane, or both. Created and directed by Bruno Bozzetto. Good recollecting, Glowworm. :D The game board is yours.
  17. Glowworm

I recall channel surfing at one point years ago on tv--fortunately I didn't stay to watch this short--it looked like one in which I'd feel immensely sorry for the poor cat--those fast credits repeating footage of the entire short at the end didn't help much either.
    1. In this classic song from a popular and still ongoing children's learning show, I offer my seven sons my crown if they can cheer me up.
    2. Most of the things my sons bring me do more harm than good.
    3. My youngest son earns the crown for helping me up.
  18. oneuglybunny

Ha, you used this one in the Character Quotes thread. This is from a lesson in counting to seven from Sesame Street, about an Alligator King and his seven sons.
    • Winner Winner x 1
  19. Glowworm

Indeed. This is the Alligator King who offers his crown up to whichever of his seven sons can cheer him up. While six of them bring him seven items--some being a bit dangerous such as oysters which pinch his fingers, diamond rings to wear on his toes which cause him to trip on the rug, and rubies that he mistakes for cherries, breaking seven of his teeth, the seventh merely helps dad up when he trips on the rug, thus winning the crown.
  20. oneuglybunny

Must be you like that one. I'll remember that, so I can remind everyone of the fact years from now, because that's what us old grunks do. :) Now, I must think up another character that's about as funnish.

1) This character first occurs in a work of literature, and was later adapted into live action and animated features. He's in the public domain at this point, so he's up for grabs.

2) Sticking to animation, this character appears in a completely animated feature film, and in a direct-to-video sequel. In both, he has a day job and a night job.

3) Going only by the feature films, this character seems to have only one name, like Madonna or Cher. He has a cognomen, but that's only in the book. It's probably too hard to pronounce, so the animators said "phooey."