1. Big Cartoon Forum

You WIll Need To Reset Your Password!!!

We just moved hosts on this system, and this has caused a few updates. One is the way we encode and store the encoded passwords.

Your old passwords will NOT work. You will need to reset your password. This is normal. Just click on reset password from the log in screen. Should be smooth as silk to do...

Sorry for the hassle.

Dave Koch
  2. Big Cartoon Forum

Are You Just Hanging Out?

Just lurking? Join the club, we'd love to have you in the Big Cartoon Forum! Sign up is easy- just enter your name and password.... or join using your Facebook account!

Membership has it's privileges... you can post and get your questions answered directly. But you can also join our community, and help other people with their questions, You can add to the discussion. And it's free! So join today!

Dave Koch
  3. Big Cartoon Forum

Other Side Of Maleficent

I have been looking forward to Maleficent with equal amounts of anticipation and dread. On one hand, she is easily my favorite Disney villain, so cold and so pure, and I want desperately to see more of her and her back-story. On the other hand, she is easily my favorite Disney villain, and I would hate to see her parodied, taken lightly or ultimately destroyed in a film that does not understand this great character. The good news is that this film almost gets it right; but that is also the bad news.

4. Big Cartoon Forum

BCDB Hits 150K Entries

It took a while, but we are finally here! The Big Cartoon DataBase hit the milestone of 150,000 entries earlier today with the addition of the cartoon The Polish Language. This film was added to BCDB on May 9th, 2014 at 4:23 PM.

5. Big Cartoon Forum

Warner Brings Back Animated Stone-Age Family

Funnyman Will Ferrell and partner Adam McKay are working on bringing back everyone’s favorite stone-age family. The duo’s production company Gary Sanchez Productions is in development on a new Flintstones animated feature.

6. Big Cartoon Forum

Disney To Feast In France

The follow up to Disney’s 2013 Academy Award Winning short Paperman has been announced, and it will premiere at France’s Annecy International Animated Film Festival. Titled The Feast, the short looks to be based on the same stylized CG techniques used on last years Paperman, a more natural and hand-drawn look to computer animation.

7. Big Cartoon Forum

Renegades of Animation: Pat Sullivan

Pat Sullivan became famous worldwide for his creation of Felix the Cat. What most animation histories gloss over is Sullivan’s checkered past and longtime standing as a wildcat renegade. He didn’t follow the rules. And he made damn sure to fully protect his intellectual properties.

Suspension of disbelief

Discussion in 'Disney / Pixar' started by Dave Koch, Nov 2, 2013.

1. Dave Koch

Dave Koch Cartoon Admin

I was just watching the Mickey Mouse cartoon, "The Worm Turns" and I had difficulty watching the scene where Mickey uses his secret formula to change a timid mouse into a ferocious rodent. The scene just doesn't work because MM is supposedly a mouse with human characteristics but he interacts with a more realistic mouse.

For the same reason cartoons in which Goofy and Pluto both appear don't work for me; because Goofy is a humanized dog and Pluto is a more traditional dog.

And then there's the whole Figaro/Gideon conundrum that exists in Disney's "Pinocchio"; although I think that existed in the original book as well.

http://www.supercartoons.net/cartoon/120/mickey-mouse-the-worm-turns.html
  2. Furienna

Furienna Intern Forum Member New Member

I see what you mean. But at the moment, I don't remember Goofy and Pluto interacting much (except for in "House of Mouse").
  3. Bobby Bickert

Bobby Bickert Inbetweener Forum Member New Member

One of my sisters had a Goofy coloring book in which Goofy was a detective, and Pluto was his bloodhound. One page had Goofy walking Pluto on a leash, and their heads look nearly identical. (More noticable when not colored in.)

Also, the Disney historian David Gerstein turned up a Sunday comic strip in which Donald is duck hunting! (And Goofy went duck hunting in "Foul Hunting". I hope he didn't tell Donald.)
  4. peterhale

peterhale Moderator Staff Member I SUPPORT BCDB!

I must say I've never had any problem with this, because I bought into the basic idea at an early age.

"If it looks like a duck, swims like a duck, and quacks like a duck, then it probably is a duck."

OK. but if it wears cloths, rides horses, drives cars and works for a living, then it probably isn't a real duck but a surrogate-human-being. Although designed as anthropomorphic barnyard animals, Mickey and the gang were never really animals - they all walk on their hind legs, they have hands with opposable thumbs, Donald can't fly, Goofy never tries to bite car tires and Mickey was never in danger of being eaten by a cat (with the possible exception of While the Cat's Away, a remake of the Alice short Rattled by Rats, where Mickey and Minnie are part of a gang of mice whooping it up in Tom Cat's house - are there any other films where Mickey is actually mouse-size?)

This was not a concept invented by the movies, it was already established in the comic strips - Krazy Kat being the prime example - but the animated cartoonists ran with it. Audiences respond to stories about human nature - that way we know what to expect from the flow of events: nothing else makes enough sense to maintain our involvement. But funny animals are more appealing than cartoon humans, easier to draw and free of inherent stereotyping - by which I mean that a cartoon human is immediately a specific type of human (a thin man, a fat woman, fair-haired or dark-haired, a specific age, a specific race - a human character is limited by delineation!) whereas a animal can represent types common to all races and classes of human society - we can all instantly identify with them, without exclusion. (And yes, it goes back to Aesop - and probably further!)

These cartoon animals are the equivalent of the live-action silent comedians - they are "the child within" (usually more specifically an eight-year-old boy) causing innocent mayhem as they play at being adults. They were adolescents in those days before the invention of "teenagers", when you moved straight from child to adult.

It follows that if these characters are really surrogate humans, then they will have pets, eat what humans eat, etc. They have to.

So when that tiresome pedant, the super-ego, pops up to ask "how can Goofy treat Pluto as a pet when he is a dog himself?" just beat it down with your id and remind it that Pluto is meant to be a dog - and Goofy isn't! He's meant to be a human!
    Last edited: Jan 26, 2015
  5. oneuglybunny

oneuglybunny Moderator Staff Member Forum Member

There was mention made on another site that all the characters in Don Bluth's The Secret of NIMH are articulate ... except the farmer's cat, Dragon. The mice speak; the rats speak (except Brutus); Jeremy the crow speaks, as does the girl crow at the end; even the Great Owl gives advice to Mrs. Brisby. Only Dragon says nothing except for horrific growling, which from a mouse's perspective is like watching a T. Rex roar at you. So, why is the cat a speechless complete monster while the film's archvillain, Jenner, is masterfully articulate? Of course, this is Fridge Logic; in the film itself, Dragon's role as Mouse Death Incarnate works perfectly.
  6. Ravi

Ravi Intern Forum Member New Member

I like watching Cartoons on Nick India
    My Fav Cartoon show is Motu Patlu
  7. poemsforkidspk

poemsforkidspk Apprentice Forum Member New Member

It's amazing idea, I really appreciated this.If we watch real behavior of mouse and other animal,we will not enjoy so much .
  8. MrCleveland

MrCleveland Key Animator Forum Member New Member

My Logical World of Disney question is this...

Donald Duck never wears pants...then why does Donald Duck do this when naked?...
    [​IMG]
  9. Bill Lewis

Bill Lewis Animator Forum Member New Member

This, I believe, was from the Mickey Mouse comic strip:
    347242146_6838.png
    • Funny Funny x 1
  10. oneuglybunny

oneuglybunny Moderator Staff Member Forum Member

Well, in Donald Duck's case, tailoring pants to a duck's physique would be a nightmare, so going without is no great stretch. However, going with a jacket / shirt / wifebeater or something makes him unclothed. This is fine for Zootopia's Mystic Springs Oasis, but not so much among the general public. Hence, the modesty cross. Save the au naturel for Daisy.

As for Minnie going all girly over an actual mouse: it's clearly a Medium Awareness gag. Mouse meets mouse, and somebody goes off the rails. A similar gag mechanism exists in Fantasia 2000, with Donald Duck eying a pair of Nearly Normal Animal ducks waddling onto Noah's ark.
  11. MrCleveland

MrCleveland Key Animator Forum Member New Member

I thought of a Fan Fiction where Donald Duck gets the Disney job and it starts with Donald Duck without clothes and the policy is if you walk on two feet and are above 1 foot... you're required to wear clothes.