1. Big Cartoon Forum

You WIll Need To Reset Your Password!!!

We just moved hosts on this system, and this has caused a few updates. One is the way we encode and store the encoded passwords.

Your old passwords will NOT work. You will need to reset your password. This is normal. Just click on reset password from the log in screen. Should be smooth as silk to do...

Sorry for the hassle.

Dave Koch
  2. Big Cartoon Forum

Are You Just Hanging Out?

Just lurking? Join the club, we'd love to have you in the Big Cartoon Forum! Sign up is easy- just enter your name and password.... or join using your Facebook account!

Membership has it's privileges... you can post and get your questions answered directly. But you can also join our community, and help other people with their questions, You can add to the discussion. And it's free! So join today!

Dave Koch
  3. Big Cartoon Forum

Other Side Of Maleficent

I have been looking forward to Maleficent with equal amounts of anticipation and dread. On one hand, she is easily my favorite Disney villain, so cold and so pure, and I want desperately to see more of her and her back-story. On the other hand, she is easily my favorite Disney villain, and I would hate to see her parodied, taken lightly or ultimately destroyed in a film that does not understand this great character. The good news is that this film almost gets it right; but that is also the bad news.

4. Big Cartoon Forum

BCDB Hits 150K Entries

It took a while, but we are finally here! The Big Cartoon DataBase hit the milestone of 150,000 entries earlier today with the addition of the cartoon The Polish Language. This film was added to BCDB on May 9th, 2014 at 4:23 PM.

5. Big Cartoon Forum

Warner Brings Back Animated Stone-Age Family

Funnyman Will Ferrell and partner Adam McKay are working on bringing back everyone’s favorite stone-age family. The duo’s production company Gary Sanchez Productions is in development on a new Flintstones animated feature.

6. Big Cartoon Forum

Disney To Feast In France

The follow up to Disney’s 2013 Academy Award Winning short Paperman has been announced, and it will premiere at France’s Annecy International Animated Film Festival. Titled The Feast, the short looks to be based on the same stylized CG techniques used on last years Paperman, a more natural and hand-drawn look to computer animation.

7. Big Cartoon Forum

Renegades of Animation: Pat Sullivan

Pat Sullivan became famous worldwide for his creation of Felix the Cat. What most animation histories gloss over is Sullivan’s checkered past and longtime standing as a wildcat renegade. He didn’t follow the rules. And he made damn sure to fully protect his intellectual properties.

Pros and Cons of "Space Jam"

Discussion in 'Warner Bros.' started by Dave Koch, Nov 2, 2013.

1. Dave Koch

Dave Koch Cartoon Admin

Hey guys, LooneyTunian here back to post! Here's a question that I've been interested in. For any fans of animation past and present, what did you like about the Looney Tunes and Michael Jordan film Space Jam and what didn't you like about it? What were the good things about it and what did they mess up on? Pretty much a Pros and Cons list. I also plan on doing one with Back in Action so stay tuned for that one. [​IMG]
  2. oneuglybunny

oneuglybunny Moderator Staff Member Forum Member

Space Jam ... yeah, it goes both ways. As far as a Looney Tunes vehicle, it was fine. Aliens come to Earth to abduct the Looney Tunes to their abhorrent theme park. Bugs Bunny tricks them into an ultimate-stakes basketball game. But the aliens counter by stealing the talent of the NBA's A-roster. The premise is patently ridiculous, which is A-okay for a cartoon.

But there was Michael Jordan in it. Now, Jordan was this athlete-celebrity-phenomenon, with the Chicago Bulls' first trifecta under his belt. Warner Brothers signed Jordan to a movie to be written later. Which is like hiring the staff first, then deciding what business you'll conduct. But Warner Brothers were entirely concerned with waving the mighty Michael Jordan in Disney's face.

So they hired Joe Pytka as director, because he'd worked with Jordan on the sneaker commercials. Producer Ivan Reitman was the de facto director on the set. The studio even built a b-ball court and fitness center just for Jordan. Diva much?

Of course, Space Jam has grossed about a quarter billion worldwide, largely on the strength of Michael Jordan. Now, only half of Space Jam is MJ and the LT's; the rest is the world gone mad when MJ disappears and star NBA players suddenly go dorky.

Later, Warner Brothers would try another hybrid vehicle: Back In Action. This one put the 'toons front and center, and made the real people extras and support staff. And what happened? LT:BIA laid a box office egg, becoming one of the most expensive duds in Hollywood history.

So far, The Looney Tunes Show seems to be the strongest showing yet for these characters since 1996. That whole Space Jam thing can't possibly be canon with anything else. Call it instead The Michael Jordan Movie, with the Looney Tunes as so many Gumps.

Oh, and Lola Bunny? Yeah, a girl bunny character had been on the back burner for decades, but somehow Bugs Bunny was too rebel to have a steady. When the Mia Hamm zeitgeist struck during the planning stages of Space Jam, it was decided that this was the moment to unveil the "girl bunny." Unfortunately, Lola came with too much Grrl Power and not enough comic mechanisms, which got her decried as a canon sue. Thus, Warner Brothers stuffed her in the fridge for fourteen years.

Granted, I liked the positive role model of Space Jam Lola Bunny. However, I must admit that the Cervone bunny works gorgeously within The Looney Tunes Show's interplay dynamics. Let's count Space Jam Lola as something they found in the sofa cushions that needed 14 years to clean up. [​IMG]
    • Like Like x 1
  3. Sean Holmes

Sean Holmes Newbie New Member

I liked the cartoon Space Jams, but I think it is a bad idea to replace Michael Jordan in Space Jam 2 with Lebron James. Lebron James is on a lower level of Basketball quality compared to Michael Jordan.
  4. MrCleveland

MrCleveland Key Animator Forum Member New Member

...and if Space Jam 2 has NO recognition about Cleveland...I'm boycotting this film!
  5. Sean Holmes

Why should Space Jam 2 respect Cleveland.
  6. MrCleveland

Because that's where LeBron James started his basketball career...
  7. oneuglybunny

^ It's Mister Cleveland's home town. Lebron James played for the Cleveland Cavaliers at the outset of his pro career, but he bunny-hopped to other teams, seeking a supporting cast for his two-trick pony show. Despite the wishful thinking, I maintain that Space Jam 2 will die quietly in development heck, as the dynamics that made the original Space Jam work aren't there any more.
  8. MrCleveland

If I could...I'd leave Cleveland like LeBron...it's The poorest big city in America with the WORST broadband service in the nation as well as the Cleveland Browns.

LeBron actually started at St. Vincent-St. Mary High School...but he's NO Michael Jordan.
  9. Sean Holmes

I saw a glimpse of Lebron's basketball outfit for Space Jam Two. I have to admit that the basket outfit for Lebron's Space Jam Two looks cool!
  10. oneuglybunny

Well, I've been proven wrong: Space Jam 2 A New Legacy is in production, and has a tentative debut date in July 2021. So I win the Lead Foot-In-Mouth Award, again.
  11. MrCleveland

I won't be watching Space Jam: A New Legacy...though the Pepe le Pew parts were scrapped two years ago...it looks like there's NO Cleveland connection either!...