1. Big Cartoon Forum

You WIll Need To Reset Your Password!!!

We just moved hosts on this system, and this has caused a few updates. One is the way we encode and store the encoded passwords.

Your old passwords will NOT work. You will need to reset your password. This is normal. Just click on reset password from the log in screen. Should be smooth as silk to do...

Sorry for the hassle.

Dave Koch
  2. Big Cartoon Forum

Are You Just Hanging Out?

Just lurking? Join the club, we'd love to have you in the Big Cartoon Forum! Sign up is easy- just enter your name and password.... or join using your Facebook account!

Membership has it's privileges... you can post and get your questions answered directly. But you can also join our community, and help other people with their questions, You can add to the discussion. And it's free! So join today!

Dave Koch
  3. Big Cartoon Forum

Other Side Of Maleficent

I have been looking forward to Maleficent with equal amounts of anticipation and dread. On one hand, she is easily my favorite Disney villain, so cold and so pure, and I want desperately to see more of her and her back-story. On the other hand, she is easily my favorite Disney villain, and I would hate to see her parodied, taken lightly or ultimately destroyed in a film that does not understand this great character. The good news is that this film almost gets it right; but that is also the bad news.

4. Big Cartoon Forum

BCDB Hits 150K Entries

It took a while, but we are finally here! The Big Cartoon DataBase hit the milestone of 150,000 entries earlier today with the addition of the cartoon The Polish Language. This film was added to BCDB on May 9th, 2014 at 4:23 PM.

5. Big Cartoon Forum

Warner Brings Back Animated Stone-Age Family

Funnyman Will Ferrell and partner Adam McKay are working on bringing back everyone’s favorite stone-age family. The duo’s production company Gary Sanchez Productions is in development on a new Flintstones animated feature.

6. Big Cartoon Forum

Disney To Feast In France

The follow up to Disney’s 2013 Academy Award Winning short Paperman has been announced, and it will premiere at France’s Annecy International Animated Film Festival. Titled The Feast, the short looks to be based on the same stylized CG techniques used on last years Paperman, a more natural and hand-drawn look to computer animation.

7. Big Cartoon Forum

Renegades of Animation: Pat Sullivan

Pat Sullivan became famous worldwide for his creation of Felix the Cat. What most animation histories gloss over is Sullivan’s checkered past and longtime standing as a wildcat renegade. He didn’t follow the rules. And he made damn sure to fully protect his intellectual properties.

Pink Turns 50! Let's Celebrate!

Discussion in 'Cartoon News' started by Dave Koch, Apr 14, 2014.

1. Dave Koch

Dave Koch Cartoon Admin

panther_50.jpg
    One of the greats in the animation character pantheon has just hit his golden anniversary. First appearing in the opening title sequence of the 1963 film The Pink Panther, the animated cat had such an influence on audiences he went on top star in a series of animated theatrical films, various television series, and, of course, a slew of other animated title sequences. In fact, the only Pink Panther film the panther was not featured in was the second, A Shot In The Dark.

[​IMG]Ex-Warner Bros. director Isadore Friz Freleng and producer David DePatie formed DePatie-Freleng Enterprises after the Looney Tunes series was closed down. The first of the new studio's projects was creating the title sequence for The Pink Panther. The character was said to be created by Blake Edwards, Freleng and Hawley Pratt. The studio saw the popularity of this new character, and produced the first short- The Pink Phink- in 1964. This short has the unique distinction of being the first time a studio has won an Academy Award for it's first theatrical work.... and it is the only time a cartoon character's debut film has won an Oscar.

After a run of nearly 100 theatrical shorts, the Panther jumped to Saturday mornings with The Pink Panther Show, which combined theatrical shorts with The Inspector cartoons. The Panther returned to TV over the next couple decades in many shows, including one in which the panther spoke!

And now, as the Panther hits the big 5-0, MGM is preparing for a return to theaters. To be produced by Walter Mirisch, the producer of the original films as well as the actress Julie Andrews (who was married to Blake Edwards, the original films director), the new Pink Panther film will be live action with a CGI panther. It will be directed by David Silverman, who also directed The Simpsons Movie.

So we at BCDB want to help celebrate the Panther's 50th birthday. First, can we point you to the official Pink Panther 5oth Anniversary Facebook Page? From there, you can vote for your favorite Panther short; the top 24 will be released on DVD!

And once you have your favorite short picked, then come back to this post on the Big Cartoon Forum and let us know which short you voted for. One person who responds will get a special, personalized-to-you Pink Panther gift! There is no right or wrong, the winner will be chosen at random.... you just have to post your vote and tell us why!

And in the meantime, here is a peek at the Panther's first appearance in film!
  2. Minotaur714

Minotaur714 Intern Forum Member New Member

I love the Pink Panther. It was amazing how they were able to tell entertaining stories with little or no dialogue. And then we had the TV series and another favorite character of mine, the Aardvark. I did feel the quality of the shorts declined as time went on, until it seemed Pinky was kind of "mailing it in" at the end. But the early shorts were classics.
  3. MrCleveland

MrCleveland Key Animator Forum Member New Member

I think The Pink Panther is one of the greatest cartoons ever...he rarely spoke, but used his actions to show how funny he is!