1. Big Cartoon Forum

You WIll Need To Reset Your Password!!!

We just moved hosts on this system, and this has caused a few updates. One is the way we encode and store the encoded passwords.

Your old passwords will NOT work. You will need to reset your password. This is normal. Just click on reset password from the log in screen. Should be smooth as silk to do...

Sorry for the hassle.

Dave Koch
  2. Big Cartoon Forum

Are You Just Hanging Out?

Just lurking? Join the club, we'd love to have you in the Big Cartoon Forum! Sign up is easy- just enter your name and password.... or join using your Facebook account!

Membership has it's privileges... you can post and get your questions answered directly. But you can also join our community, and help other people with their questions, You can add to the discussion. And it's free! So join today!

Dave Koch
  3. Big Cartoon Forum

Other Side Of Maleficent

I have been looking forward to Maleficent with equal amounts of anticipation and dread. On one hand, she is easily my favorite Disney villain, so cold and so pure, and I want desperately to see more of her and her back-story. On the other hand, she is easily my favorite Disney villain, and I would hate to see her parodied, taken lightly or ultimately destroyed in a film that does not understand this great character. The good news is that this film almost gets it right; but that is also the bad news.

4. Big Cartoon Forum

BCDB Hits 150K Entries

It took a while, but we are finally here! The Big Cartoon DataBase hit the milestone of 150,000 entries earlier today with the addition of the cartoon The Polish Language. This film was added to BCDB on May 9th, 2014 at 4:23 PM.

5. Big Cartoon Forum

Warner Brings Back Animated Stone-Age Family

Funnyman Will Ferrell and partner Adam McKay are working on bringing back everyone’s favorite stone-age family. The duo’s production company Gary Sanchez Productions is in development on a new Flintstones animated feature.

6. Big Cartoon Forum

Disney To Feast In France

The follow up to Disney’s 2013 Academy Award Winning short Paperman has been announced, and it will premiere at France’s Annecy International Animated Film Festival. Titled The Feast, the short looks to be based on the same stylized CG techniques used on last years Paperman, a more natural and hand-drawn look to computer animation.

7. Big Cartoon Forum

Renegades of Animation: Pat Sullivan

Pat Sullivan became famous worldwide for his creation of Felix the Cat. What most animation histories gloss over is Sullivan’s checkered past and longtime standing as a wildcat renegade. He didn’t follow the rules. And he made damn sure to fully protect his intellectual properties.

Password Security!

Discussion in 'Announcements' started by Dave Koch, Nov 13, 2013.

?

How Do You Feel About Password Security?

1. Hadn't thought about it

1 vote(s)
    11.1%
  2. I use secure passwords

6 vote(s)
    66.7%
  3. I use the same password everywhere

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  4. I already use a password program

2 vote(s)
    22.2%
  5. I will start using a password security program

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  1. Dave Koch

Dave Koch Cartoon Admin

Believe it or not, I actually hang out on a couple other forums. One- Macrumors- is VERY big- 17MM posts (ahhh, someday!)

Anyway, yesterday, they were hacked, you can read bout it here: MacRumors hacker who took 860,000 passwords speaks: “We’re not terrorists” | Ars Technica

It is interesting to note that on their site, the post explaining what has happened has a couple posters asking that the forum software be updated to XenForo... which is what we are not using! So there is an endorsement... (MacRumors Forums: Security Leak - Page 6 - MacRumors Forums ) Someone even wrote:

That makes me feel good, like we chose the right forum software.

In any case, now is a good time to go over password and forum security. I would suggest HIGHLY to all of you to get a password manager. I personally use Lastpass (LastPass | The Last Password You Have to Remember ) and I suggest you get it, too. It can and will remember ALL your passwords, and recall them when you need them. It does other things, too. But it is strong, encrypted and works well. Get it, then install it. THEN US IT!

When you choose a password for Lastpass, make it as strong as you possibly can. Use capital letters, numbers and symbols. DO NOT USE WORDS! Abbreviate a famous sentence is good---- like Four score and seven years ago.... 4sa7ya. Now add random caps.... 4sA7Ya add some symbols: 4s&A7Ya$

Now you not only have something that is hard to decode, but something you can remember.

For your MASTER password for Lastpass, I would make it AT LEAST twice that long... 15-20 digits would be ideal.

(There is also an Internet comic doing around that shows it good to use four unrelated words as a password... the "horsebatterystaple" theory. This works. But its even better with numbers AND symbols added.... and even better if they are randomly inserted!)

Lastpass will suck up any existing passwords you have from your browsers, and start remembering new ones as you go along, so long as you use it all the time. DO THAT!

You can have Lastpass randomly generate a new, unique password for every site you visit.... DO THAT!

Do NOT have ANY passwords anywhere that are duplicates. Change them if they are.

I think this is about the best you can do, and this is what I recommend to you.

password_strength.png
    • Informative Informative x 1
  2. oneuglybunny

oneuglybunny Moderator Staff Member Forum Member

Something similar happened at DeviantArt about a year ago. Someone using a "dictionary 'bot" managed to crack a number of user accounts and wreak some minor mayhem. In response, DeviantArt gave a tutorial on how to make strong passwords. Thus, I changed mine to a fifteen character code that includes numerics, and many of the characters from foreign alphabets, which are called Extended Characters. According to the Password Evaluator that dA referenced, a hacker will need 17.2 decillion years to stumble across my password.

Therefore, *chortle* I don't see myself worrying about this. :)
    • Like Like x 1
  3. saltyboot

saltyboot A Moderating Moderator Staff Member Forum Member

I make sure my passwords are not simple. However, I like the idea of using foreign alphabets.