1. Big Cartoon Forum

You WIll Need To Reset Your Password!!!

We just moved hosts on this system, and this has caused a few updates. One is the way we encode and store the encoded passwords.

Your old passwords will NOT work. You will need to reset your password. This is normal. Just click on reset password from the log in screen. Should be smooth as silk to do...

Sorry for the hassle.

Dave Koch
  2. Big Cartoon Forum

Are You Just Hanging Out?

Just lurking? Join the club, we'd love to have you in the Big Cartoon Forum! Sign up is easy- just enter your name and password.... or join using your Facebook account!

Membership has it's privileges... you can post and get your questions answered directly. But you can also join our community, and help other people with their questions, You can add to the discussion. And it's free! So join today!

Dave Koch
  3. Big Cartoon Forum

Other Side Of Maleficent

I have been looking forward to Maleficent with equal amounts of anticipation and dread. On one hand, she is easily my favorite Disney villain, so cold and so pure, and I want desperately to see more of her and her back-story. On the other hand, she is easily my favorite Disney villain, and I would hate to see her parodied, taken lightly or ultimately destroyed in a film that does not understand this great character. The good news is that this film almost gets it right; but that is also the bad news.

4. Big Cartoon Forum

BCDB Hits 150K Entries

It took a while, but we are finally here! The Big Cartoon DataBase hit the milestone of 150,000 entries earlier today with the addition of the cartoon The Polish Language. This film was added to BCDB on May 9th, 2014 at 4:23 PM.

5. Big Cartoon Forum

Warner Brings Back Animated Stone-Age Family

Funnyman Will Ferrell and partner Adam McKay are working on bringing back everyone’s favorite stone-age family. The duo’s production company Gary Sanchez Productions is in development on a new Flintstones animated feature.

6. Big Cartoon Forum

Disney To Feast In France

The follow up to Disney’s 2013 Academy Award Winning short Paperman has been announced, and it will premiere at France’s Annecy International Animated Film Festival. Titled The Feast, the short looks to be based on the same stylized CG techniques used on last years Paperman, a more natural and hand-drawn look to computer animation.

7. Big Cartoon Forum

Renegades of Animation: Pat Sullivan

Pat Sullivan became famous worldwide for his creation of Felix the Cat. What most animation histories gloss over is Sullivan’s checkered past and longtime standing as a wildcat renegade. He didn’t follow the rules. And he made damn sure to fully protect his intellectual properties.

Night at the movies

Discussion in 'Cartoon Trivia' started by Justin Deveau, Jun 28, 2014.

1. Justin Deveau

Justin Deveau Newbie New Member

I really enjoy the "Night At the Movies" feature on some classic film DVDs. The one that shows you the news reel, short feature, and cartoon that would have played with the film when it was in theatres.
    Does anyone know of a site that lists the cartoons that played before the movies when they were released?
    I suppose it might have differed depending on the theatre.
  2. oneuglybunny

oneuglybunny Moderator Staff Member Forum Member

Actually, the cartoons and the newsreel and the travelogue and other such additives were deliberately appended onto the feature film by the studio that produced it. The idea was to limit how many times per day any given feature film could be played in a theater, since the studio could only charge a one-time fee for the film.

Then, in 1948, the Supreme Court ruled that this practice, called "block booking," was a form of unconstitutional monopoly. Studios could no longer require theaters to screen all the frills and extras that came with the feature film. Without this enforced mechanism in place, studios began to reassess whether cartoons were worthwhile additives.

In many cases, producers simply skipped making cartoons and such; only the largest and heartiest studios continued the practice, such as Walt Disney Pictures and Warner Brothers Pictures and MGM Studios. And in time, these studios also abandoned the theatrical cartoon. Currently, only animated features make it into US theaters. All other, shorter cartoons are relegated to television.
  3. emeraldisle

emeraldisle Moderator Staff Member I SUPPORT BCDB!

Except for the shorts shown before most Disney and Pixar features, like "Get A Horse," and "Bounding." Plus WB produced new shorts in the '90's, like "Carrotblanca."
    • Like Like x 1
  4. oneuglybunny

True, but that's still about a forty year dry spell from when most studios shut down their animation departments, and the reintroduction of opening cartoons ushered in by Pixar. Disney's "Runaway Brain" and a Pink Panther cartoon were rare exceptions that appeared in the late Nineties.
  5. poemsforkidspk

poemsforkidspk Apprentice Forum Member New Member

True, I also really enjoy "Night At the Movies".
  6. Bigzy

Bigzy Newbie New Member

It definitely entertaining to watch
  7. MrCleveland

MrCleveland Key Animator Forum Member New Member

Wow...I still wish that movies can do that again...they can show movie related news, a cartoon or two, and in between them an ad or a trailer.

That might get people back into watching movies...but then again...those days may be long gone....
  8. oneuglybunny

The dedicated movie theater is dead, dying not long after the demise of the drive-ins. Today's cineplexes are geared more toward throughput, playing as many features as they can as fast as they can, to rake in the audience dollar. People tend to have mixed schedules, so confining a film's showing to a fixed time slot will preclude a percentage of the market. The closest we get to the folderol and fiddledeedee of the Forties is the Coming Attractions previews, which are blatant commercials for the studio's upcoming films. Today's streaming media put consumers in charge of screening, so producers of animation (or any media, for that matter) are confined to television (The Simpsons, Family Guy, American Dad) or putting their work in "the cloud" where pay-per-view sites like Netflix and Hulu handle distribution. Time Marches On, Science Marches On, and the Market Marches On.
  9. MrCleveland

MrCleveland Key Animator Forum Member New Member

It stinks that it's that way...I'm NOT a fan of modern movie concept...these are the two reasons...

One-On Christmas of 2016, what I call the WORST Christmas Ever...me and my dad was previews of 2017 films and my dad saw the trailers and said "these films looked dumb". Then we watched Why Him? I thought I'd see laughs, but it looked like Bryan Cranston only did it since...it's work for the actor!

Two-The 2018 Oscar-Nominated Films like The Shape of Water, Call me by your Name, and Darkest Hour just to name a few...got little to no recognition...the films that get noticed are the sequels to franchise or the remakes that they come out...you aren't wrong...but I feel that the movies as I know it are dead!

Don't expect quality films to make it big or get recognition...that concept is Gone With The Wind!