1. Big Cartoon Forum

You WIll Need To Reset Your Password!!!

We just moved hosts on this system, and this has caused a few updates. One is the way we encode and store the encoded passwords.

Your old passwords will NOT work. You will need to reset your password. This is normal. Just click on reset password from the log in screen. Should be smooth as silk to do...

Sorry for the hassle.

Dave Koch
  2. Big Cartoon Forum

Are You Just Hanging Out?

Just lurking? Join the club, we'd love to have you in the Big Cartoon Forum! Sign up is easy- just enter your name and password.... or join using your Facebook account!

Membership has it's privileges... you can post and get your questions answered directly. But you can also join our community, and help other people with their questions, You can add to the discussion. And it's free! So join today!

Dave Koch
  3. Big Cartoon Forum

Other Side Of Maleficent

I have been looking forward to Maleficent with equal amounts of anticipation and dread. On one hand, she is easily my favorite Disney villain, so cold and so pure, and I want desperately to see more of her and her back-story. On the other hand, she is easily my favorite Disney villain, and I would hate to see her parodied, taken lightly or ultimately destroyed in a film that does not understand this great character. The good news is that this film almost gets it right; but that is also the bad news.

4. Big Cartoon Forum

BCDB Hits 150K Entries

It took a while, but we are finally here! The Big Cartoon DataBase hit the milestone of 150,000 entries earlier today with the addition of the cartoon The Polish Language. This film was added to BCDB on May 9th, 2014 at 4:23 PM.

5. Big Cartoon Forum

Warner Brings Back Animated Stone-Age Family

Funnyman Will Ferrell and partner Adam McKay are working on bringing back everyone’s favorite stone-age family. The duo’s production company Gary Sanchez Productions is in development on a new Flintstones animated feature.

6. Big Cartoon Forum

Disney To Feast In France

The follow up to Disney’s 2013 Academy Award Winning short Paperman has been announced, and it will premiere at France’s Annecy International Animated Film Festival. Titled The Feast, the short looks to be based on the same stylized CG techniques used on last years Paperman, a more natural and hand-drawn look to computer animation.

7. Big Cartoon Forum

Renegades of Animation: Pat Sullivan

Pat Sullivan became famous worldwide for his creation of Felix the Cat. What most animation histories gloss over is Sullivan’s checkered past and longtime standing as a wildcat renegade. He didn’t follow the rules. And he made damn sure to fully protect his intellectual properties.

New Looney Tunes and Scooby-Doo TV shows...

Discussion in 'Warner Bros.' started by wiley207, Mar 13, 2014.

1. wiley207

wiley207 Intern Forum Member New Member

Found out according to this website...
    Cartoon Network To Launch First Mini-Series, New Takes on Tom & Jerry, Bugs Bunny | Variety

The new Looney Tunes series is going to be called "Wabbit: a Looney Tunes Production," and will involve Bugs Bunny in new shorts (ala "Tom and Jerry Tales" and the new "Tom and Jerry Show"), against old favorites like Yosemite Sam and Wile E. Coyote, along with adding some new characters. (At least they're coming up with new ideas!)
    [​IMG]
    I am hoping they get a good crew for this series. (Hmm, maybe Victor Cook could be up to the task?) And I'm also hoping it has good animation and good music (Andy Sturmer was NO Carl Stalling, and his music was rather strange.)

But look at the design picture used for "Be Cool, Scooby-Doo"...
    [​IMG]
    It seems all of the Scooby-Doo shows by Warner have redesigned the characters in some way. (Even "What's New Scooby-Doo" did, by drawing the gang in Warner's typical "house" style of the time.) Scooby does look a bit strange, but hopefully he will look much better when actually animated. It is supposed to be a more "comic" series with the gang on summer break from high school, traveling around and solving mysteries. I think that is a refreshing change of pace; it would be good to see a more comedic Scooby-Doo series again (after the more real life -driven "What's New" and "Scooby-Doo: Mystery Incorporated," and that weird action/Loonatics-esque "Shaggy and Scooby-Doo Get a Clue.") Just remember that the older Scooby-Doo shows were rather comic as well.

Any comments?
  2. saltyboot

saltyboot A Moderating Moderator Staff Member Forum Member

I'm not sure what to think of this. They keep trying to make Bugs modern, but that's difficult to do. It's also very hard to re-create the classics. I just hope they don't put in the gross and fart humor that seems to be more popular in cartoons these days.
    • Agree Agree x 2
  3. emeraldisle

emeraldisle Moderator Staff Member I SUPPORT BCDB!

Saltyboot, I agree. If they do, I am sooooo not there.
  4. peterhale

peterhale Moderator Staff Member I SUPPORT BCDB!

It seems Jessica Borutski is directing Wabbit, so I'm hopeful that this will be a chance for the team that made The Looney Tune Show to have their head, and make the cartoons they want to do. It's great to see CN actually investing in real cartoon shows - I hope it pays off.
    • Informative Informative x 1
  5. Glowworm

Glowworm Moderator Staff Member I SUPPORT BCDB!

I too am hopeful that Wabbit will be good. It is definitely a step in the right direction--they've finally realized that Looney Tunes do much better in the original short 7 minute format--not one entire plot for half an hour. Also, finally having a show where Bugs is the star rather than revolving around Granny, Hector, Tweety and Sylvester (The Sylvester and Tweety Mysteries) or Taz (Tazmania) sounds like a plus. (Although Duck Dodgers really was good) I just hope they use music properly for this one--the Looney Tunes Show was rather scant on music when it wasn't a music video.
    (That new Tom and Jerry series appears to be using music well--I saw an animated storyboard for one of the shorts where Jerry and a mouse friend wreck havok with their scientist owner's new anti- gravity remote. The music included some old fashioned jazzy scores and the Blue Danube when they first turn the gadget on. Not bad. I hope Wabbit takes a hint from them.)
    Also, I'd love to see Bugs in his natural habitat truly being Bugs again, battling old and new foes with his wits rather than being cooped up sharing a house with Daffy. (As I've stated before, the show seemed too "Sitcomy" for me and Bugs seemed kind of grumpy rather than fun and witty) As long as Bigfoot and Squeaks the squirrel are fun new additions to the show rather than annoying ones.

As for Scooby Doo--Why are his eyes so close together? That's got to be the ugliest Scooby Doo I've seen.
  6. Glowworm

Also, much like Saltyboot and Emeraldisle, please no toilet humor gags--they just don't belong in Looney Tunes. (Unless they are subtley done like in "Daffy Duck Slept Here" when Porky thinks he wet the bed. No graphic fart and poop jokes)
  7. oneuglybunny

oneuglybunny Moderator Staff Member Forum Member

Of course, this is all guesswork and speculation at this point. However, PeterHale's note that Jessica Borutski will be directing Wabbit has very positive connotations for me. For one, she originally made Bugs Bunny purple-ish for The Looney Tunes Show because "why not?" This is a sign that Jess will be keying in on Bugs Bunny's screwy-squirrel roots rather than as a blue oni to Daffy's red or to Lola's red. Wonderful as Charles "Chuck" Jones was directing Bugs Bunny, he may have skewed the rabbit too far into James Bond-like invincible protagonist territory. Jess will, I think, make the rabbit suitably flawed and foolish, escaping his nemeses only by dint of the adversary being more foolish and flawed. A kind of Dumb versus Dumber mechanic, which is ideal for a cartoon. We have seen Jessica's I Like Pandas short cartoon: two goofball pandas, likeable but hopeless. And pointedly devoid of potty humor, I might add. Further, I'd look forward to the other Looney Tunes characters getting cartoon shorts. After all, Bugs Bunny appears in less than half of the LT and MM filmography. I have a feeling of confidence that Jessica Borutski can competently direct Warner Brothers flagship characters by remaining mindful that they are cartoon characters first and foremost.
  8. saltyboot

saltyboot A Moderating Moderator Staff Member Forum Member

I think Bugs being flawed would work, but I don't know about the "Dumb versus Dumber" thing. I see Bugs as being clever and quick minded, with flaws. I am happy though that they are making these as shorts. I also hope there will be slapstick in the Bugs shorts as well as the T&J shorts.

We'll have to wait and see.
  9. wiley207

wiley207 Intern Forum Member New Member

Exactly! They even had to throw in a burp joke for Bugs and a fart joke for Taz in "Looney Tunes: Back in Action!" That wasn't really needed at all...
    I will admit, I DID also enjoy the toilet bit with "Blooper Bunny," as we can all relate to that (and it was just a suggestion that Daffy was using the bathroom, without the need to be dirty!)

I am hoping this show has good writers (no Improv writers this time, please!) and good music, too.
  10. Glowworm

I agree, that toilet bit is pretty funny--if anything because of that sound effect. I used to have this old game with a cassette tape where basically, when you heard the sound that was on your board, you placed a counter on it. It was kind of like BINGO. One of the sound effects was a toilet--yes I found it hilarious as a kid.
  11. Humperdinck

Humperdinck Apprentice Forum Member New Member

I am a big fan of The Looney Tunes Show. I think putting Bugs, Daffy and the gang in a sitcom like format worked well and resulted in good laughs. If it's quality I welcome the new series, I just hope it doesn't mean the end of the current one.
    And as far as a new Scooby Doo series, I have no hope. Most Scooby Doo series of the past decade or so have been failures only existing to make more money off one of the most commercial mascots in cartoon history. I'll give it a shot, I suppose, but my expectations aren't very high at this point
  12. Ravi

Ravi Intern Forum Member New Member

I am a big fan of The Looney Tunes Show. I like Cartoon shows; I watch daily.
  13. Pokey J.Anti-Blockhead

Pokey J.Anti-Blockhead Intern Forum Member New Member