1. Big Cartoon Forum

You WIll Need To Reset Your Password!!!

We just moved hosts on this system, and this has caused a few updates. One is the way we encode and store the encoded passwords.

Your old passwords will NOT work. You will need to reset your password. This is normal. Just click on reset password from the log in screen. Should be smooth as silk to do...

Sorry for the hassle.

Dave Koch
  2. Big Cartoon Forum

Are You Just Hanging Out?

Just lurking? Join the club, we'd love to have you in the Big Cartoon Forum! Sign up is easy- just enter your name and password.... or join using your Facebook account!

Membership has it's privileges... you can post and get your questions answered directly. But you can also join our community, and help other people with their questions, You can add to the discussion. And it's free! So join today!

Dave Koch
  3. Big Cartoon Forum

Other Side Of Maleficent

I have been looking forward to Maleficent with equal amounts of anticipation and dread. On one hand, she is easily my favorite Disney villain, so cold and so pure, and I want desperately to see more of her and her back-story. On the other hand, she is easily my favorite Disney villain, and I would hate to see her parodied, taken lightly or ultimately destroyed in a film that does not understand this great character. The good news is that this film almost gets it right; but that is also the bad news.

4. Big Cartoon Forum

BCDB Hits 150K Entries

It took a while, but we are finally here! The Big Cartoon DataBase hit the milestone of 150,000 entries earlier today with the addition of the cartoon The Polish Language. This film was added to BCDB on May 9th, 2014 at 4:23 PM.

5. Big Cartoon Forum

Warner Brings Back Animated Stone-Age Family

Funnyman Will Ferrell and partner Adam McKay are working on bringing back everyone’s favorite stone-age family. The duo’s production company Gary Sanchez Productions is in development on a new Flintstones animated feature.

6. Big Cartoon Forum

Disney To Feast In France

The follow up to Disney’s 2013 Academy Award Winning short Paperman has been announced, and it will premiere at France’s Annecy International Animated Film Festival. Titled The Feast, the short looks to be based on the same stylized CG techniques used on last years Paperman, a more natural and hand-drawn look to computer animation.

7. Big Cartoon Forum

Renegades of Animation: Pat Sullivan

Pat Sullivan became famous worldwide for his creation of Felix the Cat. What most animation histories gloss over is Sullivan’s checkered past and longtime standing as a wildcat renegade. He didn’t follow the rules. And he made damn sure to fully protect his intellectual properties.

Missing Footage in Merrie Melodie, "Believe It or Else" (1939)

Discussion in 'Warner Bros.' started by sidestreetsam, Nov 27, 2013.

1. sidestreetsam

sidestreetsam Moderator Staff Member Forum Member New Member

~ Greetings, Folks!

I hope I got the right cartoon in mind. I'll check my DVD collection and verify. Anyway, in Tex Avery's 1939 Merrie Melodie release, "Believe It or Else", the "Believe Or Not" franchise is parodied ruthlessly. One shot concerns a mother cat that has adopted a baby crocodile. It's feeding time when all the kittens and the alligator rush to momma's side for a meal. There is a really sharp cut of the the cat's tail(?) coming from behind and pinning the baby alligator by the tail right before it can bite down. Another quick cut shows the Momma cats reaction after delivering some sort of deleted punchline. This is a really old edit. I have never seen the restored scene on any print that I know of.
    Last edited: Nov 27, 2013
  2. Glowworm

Glowworm Moderator Staff Member I SUPPORT BCDB!

Hello there, I believe I can help you with this one. The short in question is actually Bob Clampett's "Baby Bottleneck" from 1946. The scene you are describing is from a series of mixups when the babies are delivered, such as a baby hippo to Scotty Dog (my favorite bit) and a baby alligator delivered to Mrs. Pig--which is what you are inquiring about.

You are indeed correct, there is something missing. However, you aren't going to find it because the censors got a hold of it before hand--this isn't just a simple edited out by a network due to violence or inappropriateness job. From what I've heard, the mother pig supposedly tells the baby alligator after holding it back "Aah aah aah, don't touch that dial!" much like a telephone operator. My guess has always been that this was one of those "bait and switch" moves in which a more questionable gag is thrown in so that the one originally in question is overlooked. So while the punchline is taken out, we still get the rather suggestive looking scene of the baby alligator attempting to dive in upon the mother pig to nurse.
  3. sidestreetsam

sidestreetsam Moderator Staff Member Forum Member New Member

~ Hi, Glowworm!
    Thanks so much for straightening me out on this one! I knew I had the wrong cartoon as the scene I described sounds just like something Clampett would cook up. I appreciate you filling in the missing bits for me. "Aah aah aah, don't touch that dial!", was used extensively by advertisers during the Golden Age of Radio, so that sounds totally authentic. They sure messed up the editing pretty good on that scene. It's so jarring it's just confusing. I just looked at "Believe It or Else" again and it's pretty tame even for Tex Avery.
    I genuflect to you and the impressive depth of you're cartoon knowledge.
  4. Glowworm

Glowworm Moderator Staff Member I SUPPORT BCDB!

:happy: Happy to help--in fact I do believe there is a commentators bit on that short on The Looney Tunes Golden Collection Volume 2 DVD on the Sylvester and Tweety disc, which basically mentions this deleted footage through a Bob Clampett recording of him reflecting upon this scene.

To be honest, as a child, I never even noticed something was missing when I saw that short--it wasn't until I went upon the Censored Cartoon Page that I discovered just how much had been edited out of what I watched without ever realizing it. Of course, at some point, they used to edit out the beginning with the drunk stork--that I clearly noticed. Now that I know that something was missing, I can clearly see it--the mother pig was definitely going to say that to the alligator.

As for "Believe it or Else" there wasn't any thing that seemed to be deliberately cut beforehand. However, when shown on tv, they would always edit out the "berth of a baby" gag. Basically it was a really bad pun where a baby was seen on the fixed bed of a train car. Why was it edited out? The porters opening the doors to show us were black.
  5. saltyboot

saltyboot A Moderating Moderator Staff Member Forum Member

The way I understand it, the ol' "bait and switch" was used so the joke with Daffy would stay. While he's talking on the many phones, he says to Eddie Cantor, "You say you haven't got that boy yet? Well if at first you don't succeed. Hehehehe." Cantor, at the time, had daughters and he and his wife was trying for a son.
  6. Pokey J.Anti-Blockhead

Pokey J.Anti-Blockhead Intern Forum Member New Member

Of course, had it BEEN "Believe it or Else" it would likely BE trimmed just for length, just like AM radio used to do with a lot of songs in the 60s-70s [and a local "love songs" station, which will of course remain nameless, does to No Doubt's songs like "Underneath it all", and oldies stations still do to a lot of FM-style lengthy songs..] After all, "Believe it or Else" is nearly 9 minutes long! [no exception around that time for a lot of studios---MGM's early cartoons are 10 or 11 minutes!] but the short discussed was the rather later "Baby Bottleneck".