1. Big Cartoon Forum

You WIll Need To Reset Your Password!!!

We just moved hosts on this system, and this has caused a few updates. One is the way we encode and store the encoded passwords.

Your old passwords will NOT work. You will need to reset your password. This is normal. Just click on reset password from the log in screen. Should be smooth as silk to do...

Sorry for the hassle.

Dave Koch
  2. Big Cartoon Forum

Are You Just Hanging Out?

Just lurking? Join the club, we'd love to have you in the Big Cartoon Forum! Sign up is easy- just enter your name and password.... or join using your Facebook account!

Membership has it's privileges... you can post and get your questions answered directly. But you can also join our community, and help other people with their questions, You can add to the discussion. And it's free! So join today!

Dave Koch
  3. Big Cartoon Forum

Other Side Of Maleficent

I have been looking forward to Maleficent with equal amounts of anticipation and dread. On one hand, she is easily my favorite Disney villain, so cold and so pure, and I want desperately to see more of her and her back-story. On the other hand, she is easily my favorite Disney villain, and I would hate to see her parodied, taken lightly or ultimately destroyed in a film that does not understand this great character. The good news is that this film almost gets it right; but that is also the bad news.

4. Big Cartoon Forum

BCDB Hits 150K Entries

It took a while, but we are finally here! The Big Cartoon DataBase hit the milestone of 150,000 entries earlier today with the addition of the cartoon The Polish Language. This film was added to BCDB on May 9th, 2014 at 4:23 PM.

5. Big Cartoon Forum

Warner Brings Back Animated Stone-Age Family

Funnyman Will Ferrell and partner Adam McKay are working on bringing back everyone’s favorite stone-age family. The duo’s production company Gary Sanchez Productions is in development on a new Flintstones animated feature.

6. Big Cartoon Forum

Disney To Feast In France

The follow up to Disney’s 2013 Academy Award Winning short Paperman has been announced, and it will premiere at France’s Annecy International Animated Film Festival. Titled The Feast, the short looks to be based on the same stylized CG techniques used on last years Paperman, a more natural and hand-drawn look to computer animation.

7. Big Cartoon Forum

Renegades of Animation: Pat Sullivan

Pat Sullivan became famous worldwide for his creation of Felix the Cat. What most animation histories gloss over is Sullivan’s checkered past and longtime standing as a wildcat renegade. He didn’t follow the rules. And he made damn sure to fully protect his intellectual properties.

I'm working on a new Web cartoon series

Discussion in 'Web Toons / Works-In-Progress' started by RascalsFan84, Jan 8, 2018.

1. RascalsFan84

RascalsFan84 Intern Forum Member New Member

I would like to make an announcement.

In the wake of having renewed an interest in cartoons since August 2014, I felt like i was motivated to start a new project.

Last September, I have offically launched my latest project.

I am working on a new cartoon series that I plan on uploading to a video sharing site after the first season is completed.

The episodes will follow a similar pattern to Saturday morning cartoons in the 1980s. 13 episodes per season, consisting of two 11-minute segments.

This cartoon series will be designed for viewing by mature audiences (TV-14) because of certain content that may be a bad influence, but there definitely won't be any material deemed "too adult" (hence the TV-14 rating), though I will do a TV-G version afterwards.

The series will focus on a group of female teenage detectives, and has an ambiguous setting - it is set in the early-1970s, but with more modern fashion, and definitely some pop culture from today. Some episodes will involve a Scooby-Doo style plot, minus a canine companion, while others will be more like saving a damsel in distress, or investigating a crime. At least two episodes will not involve crimefighting - one will involve defeating a tough guy in a race, and one will involve traveling back to prehistoric times and getting trapped in time.

Some of the plots I intend to use are:

- Invisibility
    - Stolen statues
    - Criminal posing as one of the detectives (as in a double)
    - Submarine/Surfing
    - Treasure hunt
    - Ballroom
    - 5K race
    - Blackout
    - Kidnapping
    - Camping in a forest
    - Robots
    - Missing book
    - Mummy
    - Animal transformation
    - Birthday robbery
    - Prehistoric/Dinosaurs
    - Shopping mall
    - School for crooks
    - Rock concert
    - Wild West

I may do a Bermuda Triangle plot too, but that may be the treasure chest episode.

James Vipond, a user on these forums, has agreed do to some of the voice work, while I am doing some voice work, storylines, scripting, and animation - the latter using a program called DAZ Studio, with the pwToon shader. James and I will be credited for the voice work.

James is also helping me find some props that would be useful in my productions.

I am aiming for a release of my series before the decade is out, and while animating may seem tedious, that was the case many years ago. In this day and age with computers and technology, animation is a piece of cake.

I have created some video clips already, one scene I created for an episode runs for 30 seconds, so there is only 10 1/2 minutes of that particular episode to be worked on.

I don't plan on announcing my series until I upload all of the episodes in the first season to YouTube or wherever I choose to upload them. Only James and I know about this, but the rest is private - for now.

I recommend to James not to release any links to my sample work - I don't want to spoil it for anyone, I want my series to be a surprise.
    Last edited: Jan 8, 2018
  2. RascalsFan84

Update:

Because of limited funds I am unable to spend as much on props at least for February. I will monitor my financial situation for March, but it is confirmed I won't be buying any props in April due to reasons beyond my control.

But my animation project is still going ahead as planned. In fact, my new plan is to have a comedy-mystery format with many of the episodes set in a high school. Some episode titles from the non-cartoon series "Saved by the Bell" and also story titles from the Richie Rich and Archie series of comic books, inspired ideas for episodes, but adding a twist and not doing a complete copy of those stories.

For example, I found a title in an Archie comic digest on the Grand Comics Database that refers to "Real McCoy" - I decided to alter the title and name a story of mine "The Steal McCoy" which could imply either the crook has a last name of McCoy, or the object being stolen is a genuine version of something - the real McCoy.

I do intend on having some episodes set outside of a school, but will likely be held in the following places:

Bermuda Triangle
    Shopping Mall
    Downtown
    Character's residence
    Beach
    Museum

One episode will feature one of the principal characters being wrongfully sent to jail because of an impostor.

As of last night, I have been building a shopping mall in DAZ Studio using a set that I purchased on Renderosity last fall. I already have purchased a gymnasium and a senior prom set in January. I would like to buy a school cafeteria to complete the school scenes, but a high school I should be able to construct in Blender. I'll have to find some floor plans for a high school, and I would like to make it similar to my junior high school.

There is one item I plan on buying in the near future - a set to create a crowd. I may consider purchasing a cafeteria scene in March.
  3. RascalsFan84

Update...

I have made my decision on future purchases for DAZ Studio. I have decided that I purchased enough items for the time being. I may consider purchasing a grass-related item later in March or the very beginning of April, but for now, I have to watch my spending in the coming weeks.

As for props, I may consider creating exteriors of buildings, maybe a warehouse, using a free program called Blender.

I requested on Facebook for some links to certain free downloads that are useful in my animation development, such as a slush maker and ice cream freezer for a convenience store scene in one of my episodes. I plan on using a 7-11 style convenience store, but give it a different name. Perhaps Uptown Farm or Mr. Quik would be cool names.
    Last edited: Mar 8, 2018
  4. RascalsFan84

April 2018 Update:

I have confirmed that I will be using a high school setting for the earlier episodes, but the later episodes will more involve cases and crimefighting outside the high school. Also, I plan on adding a "fourth" heroine to the lineup, and she will be a vital part of the group of heroines. She will use super powers, though she will be a human being, but look like an average girl. She has a black belt in karate, and her father, a magician, is credited for her super powers.

She will use the following powers:
    • Invisibility by breathing deeply and holding it (doesn't work while underwater)
    • Flight
    • Turbo speed
    • Holding breath underwater for extended periods (but not indefinitely)
    • Anti-gravity
    • Using hand gesture towards creature to make it get away from her and her friends (useful while underwater, especially with sharks)
    Some of the later episodes will take up the entire show, split up into two parts. I do still plan on using a Bermuda Triangle plot, and now I am considering a jungle plot (which I intend to use quicksand), a babysitting plot, and a plot involving a character's divorced mother dating a new boyfriend. Two of the aforementioned plots will involve only one of the main heroines.
    Last edited: Apr 5, 2018
  5. RascalsFan84

August 2018 update:

Nearly a full year since I launched my project, development is slow and steady, which may mean the cartoon may likely be very good quality.

The holdback on development is the limited assets in my DAZ Studio inventory, and I have to stay within budget. For the first time in months, I am unable to spend any money on purchasing assets for my animated series this month, as money is tight these days, plus many of the assets on my wishlist is low priority and purchasing them can be deferred for a later time. Same may likely hold true for September. Plus, I am very grateful that the number of items I intend to purchase is running low, so that's not a bad thing for my bank account. But come October, I am expected to have a surplus in my account, considering I have three paydays that month, and that's a real bonus.

Our fellow user, James Vipond, has already contributed voice files to me for several episodes already, and more will be worked on I am pretty sure.

Another holdback is the creating of poses, as I intend to replicate them from other cartoons. That may help save money on creating animation files. My method of animation is based on the traditional 12 frames per second cel animation style.

The format may mostly involve Richie Rich-style crimefighting more than Scooby-Doo style, as the heroines in my series rely on technology and gadgets to hunt down the suspect's whereabouts. The leader of the group, a redhead, is the oldest, is very intelligent, and is interested in science and technology, creating formulas and gadgets that will help them in their investigations; the youngest heroine, a blonde, is part of a wealthy family, but not as extensive as Richie Rich's family; and the other heroine, an African-American girl aged 16, is likely to be the "idea girl" who comes up with strategies and even ways to capture the culprit, but has to be approved by the redhead leader.

I had considered launching my animated series in 2020, but that release date is now changed to an undetermined date. I plan on producing 13 episodes for a first season, each with two segments of 11 minutes each. Once I have created the 26 segments for the first season, I will then aim to release my animated series in the first fall season afterwards, coinciding with the traditional ABC premiere dates for Saturday morning cartoons in the 1980s. ABC traditionally started the new Saturday morning lineup on the second Saturday in September back in the 1980s (except for 1980 and 1982, due to strikes involving voice actors and animators respectively).