1. Big Cartoon Forum

You WIll Need To Reset Your Password!!!

We just moved hosts on this system, and this has caused a few updates. One is the way we encode and store the encoded passwords.

Your old passwords will NOT work. You will need to reset your password. This is normal. Just click on reset password from the log in screen. Should be smooth as silk to do...

Sorry for the hassle.

Dave Koch
  2. Big Cartoon Forum

Are You Just Hanging Out?

Just lurking? Join the club, we'd love to have you in the Big Cartoon Forum! Sign up is easy- just enter your name and password.... or join using your Facebook account!

Membership has it's privileges... you can post and get your questions answered directly. But you can also join our community, and help other people with their questions, You can add to the discussion. And it's free! So join today!

Dave Koch
  3. Big Cartoon Forum

Other Side Of Maleficent

I have been looking forward to Maleficent with equal amounts of anticipation and dread. On one hand, she is easily my favorite Disney villain, so cold and so pure, and I want desperately to see more of her and her back-story. On the other hand, she is easily my favorite Disney villain, and I would hate to see her parodied, taken lightly or ultimately destroyed in a film that does not understand this great character. The good news is that this film almost gets it right; but that is also the bad news.

4. Big Cartoon Forum

BCDB Hits 150K Entries

It took a while, but we are finally here! The Big Cartoon DataBase hit the milestone of 150,000 entries earlier today with the addition of the cartoon The Polish Language. This film was added to BCDB on May 9th, 2014 at 4:23 PM.

5. Big Cartoon Forum

Warner Brings Back Animated Stone-Age Family

Funnyman Will Ferrell and partner Adam McKay are working on bringing back everyone’s favorite stone-age family. The duo’s production company Gary Sanchez Productions is in development on a new Flintstones animated feature.

6. Big Cartoon Forum

Disney To Feast In France

The follow up to Disney’s 2013 Academy Award Winning short Paperman has been announced, and it will premiere at France’s Annecy International Animated Film Festival. Titled The Feast, the short looks to be based on the same stylized CG techniques used on last years Paperman, a more natural and hand-drawn look to computer animation.

7. Big Cartoon Forum

Renegades of Animation: Pat Sullivan

Pat Sullivan became famous worldwide for his creation of Felix the Cat. What most animation histories gloss over is Sullivan’s checkered past and longtime standing as a wildcat renegade. He didn’t follow the rules. And he made damn sure to fully protect his intellectual properties.

Drama in Looney Tunes

Discussion in 'Warner Bros.' started by Macgomes, Sep 1, 2019.

1. Macgomes

Macgomes Intern Forum Member New Member

Hello everyone,,
    Now Looney Tunes has had it's share of Melodrama(which is a drama, such as a play, film, or television program, characterized showbox.bio/ tutuapp.uno/ vidmate.vet/ by exaggerated emotions, stereotypical characters, and interpersonal conflicts). I've had this thought, what if someday WB made a Looney Tunes cartoon(doubtfully) that had actual drama making it a little complex while still retaining it's comedy. Do you think it's possible for Looney Tunes to pull this off? Why or why not?
  2. mreiof

mreiof Moderator Staff Member I SUPPORT BCDB! Forum Member

It definitely is possible, and it should be done. But it has to avoid being rendered in a realistic way, like an adult drama you'd find in the movies. Better to use fantasy, like Star Wars—what's more melodramatic than that? I could see time travel being used here, where a toon has to go back in time to save another toon from a terrible fate.
  3. saltyboot

saltyboot A Moderating Moderator Staff Member Forum Member

I agree that it's possible, but I think it'll be very difficult. The Looney Tunes are all about comedy/ slapstick, so drama will have to be added just the right way. I like the idea of using fantasy. Like Looney Tunes meets Harry Potter. There just needs to be a good balance between the two.
  4. oneuglybunny

oneuglybunny Moderator Staff Member Forum Member

That was tried twice: the first was Space Jam, in which the Looney Tunes are destined to be abducted to Moron Mountain, where they'll become slave labor. Only a challenge match in basketball, with Michael Jordan as their ringer, averts this fate. Honestly, the only reason this film made pulled down a quarter billion was the draw of Jordan on the big screen; the Looney Tunes are reduced to satellites around him.

The second was Looney Tunes Back In Action, in which the Looney Tunes assist Brendan Frasier (who may or may not be himself) in rescuing his secret agent father from the clutches on the Acme Corporation. Well, less than half the Tunes helped, while the remainder were lackeys of Acme. This one was an embarrassment that was pulled from theaters, and torpedoed the career of director Joe Dante.

The Looney Tunes have mastered the 7-minute cartoon format since the Forties. They're out of their depth in a 90-minute feature film. That's what Disney does, using fresh characters cut from the whole cloth. If they play well in Peoria (and they usually do), then they'll be recycled into Disney Afternoon fare. Mickey Mouse, for all his ubiquitous marketing, sticks to the cartoon short format. Mickey really can't do the feature film thing, so he plays to his strengths, and amuses the kiddies in small doses, which has worked just fine for 70+ years.

Call me an incurable skeptic, but I can't see how Warner Brothers can shoehorn the Looneys into dramatic or semi-dramatic roles, any more than they could convert a house cat into a guard dog.
    Last edited: Sep 11, 2019
    • Like Like x 1
  5. Bill Lewis

Bill Lewis Animator Forum Member New Member

I can only think of 2 WB cartoons that had dramatic elements, "Tom Thumb in Trouble " and "Old Glory ",starring Porky Pig. But I guess doing " serious " cartoons kinda defeats the meaning of "Looney",or "Merrie"(as in "Melodies "),for that matter.
  6. mreiof

True with both of those examples, but the funny ones can surprise you with their emotional heft. We practically weep with bulldog Marc Anthony at the climax of “Feed The Kitty” (even though WE know that his kitten buddy is perfectly intact), and the finale of “What’s Opera, Doc?” is so heart-rending that Bugs has to break character at the closing to remind us that operas simply don’t have happy endings.
    • Like Like x 1
  7. Bill Lewis

Bill Lewis Animator Forum Member New Member

I suppose it's no coincidence the two cartoons you mentioned, as well as my examples, were all directed by Chuck Jones. He apparently sought to expand the emotional range of cartoons, more than other directors.
    • Like Like x 1
  8. mreiof

Well, there you go. We could carry on until dawn just discussing the Grinch. Although Jones’ WB rival Bob Clampett was never shy about pushing the melodrama button. He has a cartoon that depicts an elderly Elmer Fudd finally bagging a decrepit Bugs Bunny—who digs his own grave while Elmer cries a river. And, of course, for Bugs it’s all a gag designed to put Elmer in the ground.
    • Like Like x 1
  9. luckydalla

luckydalla Newbie New Member

Well, there you go. We could carry on until dawn just discussing the Grinch. Although Jones’ WB rival Bob Clampett was never shy about pushing the melodrama button. He has a cartoon that depicts an elderly Elmer Fudd finally bagging a decrepit Bugs Bunny—who digs his own grave while Elmer cries a lot.
    thanks
    Last edited by a moderator: Mar 18, 2020
  10. emeraldisle

emeraldisle Moderator Staff Member I SUPPORT BCDB!

Tom Thumb In Trouble has a thrilling climax in which Tom's dad sets out to find him during a raging blizzard.
    • Like Like x 1
  11. MrCleveland

MrCleveland Key Animator Forum Member New Member

Does Rocket-Bye Baby count?

The parents raise a baby named Mot (which is Tom spelled backwards)...and the climax is dramatic since the father chases Mot as he's taken home to his mothership.

BUT...

It was all a bad dream...but there's an interesting twist...their son's name is Yob, which is backwards for Boy.

I think Chuck Jones mixed comedy with drama in many LT/MM cartoons.
  12. mreiof

Does Rocket-Bye Baby count?…

Yes! I think it does. Especially as the cartoon plays itself out. You really care about the noble dad who will do whatever he must to fix the cosmic mixup and retrieve his son (who the Martians named “Yob”). We are so relieved when everything turns out well at the end. Another example of Chuck Jones inserting emotional weight into his method, and a worthy addition to this thread!
    • Agree Agree x 1
  13. feedtaleone

feedtaleone Newbie New Member

I agree that it's possible, but I think it'll be very difficult. The Looney Tunes are all about comedy/ slapstick, so drama will have to be added just the right way.
  14. feedtaleone

It's hard to remake a classic, so don't! This could of been horrible however they did a great job of making it their own! Keep an open mind and you'll love
  15. feedtaleone

It had been a while since I had last seen a well produced, well written, and well drawn cartoon dating from this century. get-vidmate.com instasave.onl
  16. ashleylose07

ashleylose07 Newbie New Member

Hello everyone, I agree that it's possible