1. Big Cartoon Forum

You WIll Need To Reset Your Password!!!

We just moved hosts on this system, and this has caused a few updates. One is the way we encode and store the encoded passwords.

Your old passwords will NOT work. You will need to reset your password. This is normal. Just click on reset password from the log in screen. Should be smooth as silk to do...

Sorry for the hassle.

Dave Koch
  2. Big Cartoon Forum

Are You Just Hanging Out?

Just lurking? Join the club, we'd love to have you in the Big Cartoon Forum! Sign up is easy- just enter your name and password.... or join using your Facebook account!

Membership has it's privileges... you can post and get your questions answered directly. But you can also join our community, and help other people with their questions, You can add to the discussion. And it's free! So join today!

Dave Koch
  3. Big Cartoon Forum

Other Side Of Maleficent

I have been looking forward to Maleficent with equal amounts of anticipation and dread. On one hand, she is easily my favorite Disney villain, so cold and so pure, and I want desperately to see more of her and her back-story. On the other hand, she is easily my favorite Disney villain, and I would hate to see her parodied, taken lightly or ultimately destroyed in a film that does not understand this great character. The good news is that this film almost gets it right; but that is also the bad news.

4. Big Cartoon Forum

BCDB Hits 150K Entries

It took a while, but we are finally here! The Big Cartoon DataBase hit the milestone of 150,000 entries earlier today with the addition of the cartoon The Polish Language. This film was added to BCDB on May 9th, 2014 at 4:23 PM.

5. Big Cartoon Forum

Warner Brings Back Animated Stone-Age Family

Funnyman Will Ferrell and partner Adam McKay are working on bringing back everyone’s favorite stone-age family. The duo’s production company Gary Sanchez Productions is in development on a new Flintstones animated feature.

6. Big Cartoon Forum

Disney To Feast In France

The follow up to Disney’s 2013 Academy Award Winning short Paperman has been announced, and it will premiere at France’s Annecy International Animated Film Festival. Titled The Feast, the short looks to be based on the same stylized CG techniques used on last years Paperman, a more natural and hand-drawn look to computer animation.

7. Big Cartoon Forum

Renegades of Animation: Pat Sullivan

Pat Sullivan became famous worldwide for his creation of Felix the Cat. What most animation histories gloss over is Sullivan’s checkered past and longtime standing as a wildcat renegade. He didn’t follow the rules. And he made damn sure to fully protect his intellectual properties.

Do kids still watch old Hanna-Barbera cartoons? (Flintstones, Top Cat, Jetsons, Tom & Jerry, etc)

Discussion in 'Hanna-Barbera' started by Raftar, Jan 16, 2021.

1. Raftar

Raftar Newbie New Member

Aside from the Flintstones being the mascot for Fruity Pebbles cereal, do your kids know who old school Hanna-Barbera cartoon characters (pre-1970s) like the Flintstones, Jetsons, Yogi Bear, Top Cat, or Tom and Jerry are?

As a kid growing up in the 1990s, those cartoons were already 30-50 years old. The only time I ever watched them was when I was sent to my grandma's house to be babysat, where there were no toys to entertain myself with. I never found the shows to be particularly interesting or enjoyable, it's just there was nothing else on or I had nothing to do.

I feel like with today's technology (especially YouTube and streaming services), kids don't ever have to watch something just because they are bored and nothing else is on. They never have to watch Secret Squirrel or Wally Gator because there's nothing else to do.

The only older (pre-1970s) Hana-Barbera cartoons I can see kids today watching would be Scooby Doo, but that's only because it keeps getting modern reboots every few years. But I don't know any young people, maybe I'm wrong. Do your kids watch the older Hanna-Barbera cartoons?
  2. Raftar

Raftar Newbie New Member

I got this,..
  3. MrCleveland

MrCleveland Key Animator Forum Member New Member

I enjoy the early H-B cartoons...my fave is Loopy de Loop.
  4. RascalsFan84

RascalsFan84 Inbetweener Forum Member New Member

To be quite honest, with the exception of "Scooby-Doo" series, the really old H-B toons do not seem to appeal to today's children. It's probably because television viewing habits have changed in the last decade. TV viewership, as a whole, is in decline; and the generation who were fans of the really old H-B toons are likely grandparents now. It's the sign of the times, and it's sad.

I am not a big fan of the really old H-B cartoons, even when I was younger - and I will be turning 50 years old next year. However, I am more of a fan of H-B toons if it is Scooby-Doo (including the Scrappy era) or its clone series such as "Captain Caveman and the Teen Angels", and cartoon series involving crimefighting and not involving comic book superheroes. Among the 1980s content, I mostly enjoy "The Little Rascals" spinoff, "Richie Rich", "Shirt Tales" and "The Gary Coleman Show" the most. "Smurfs" and "The Gary Coleman Show" were the only H-B cartoons I enjoyed that didn't involve crimefighting.

I guess you could say I was more of a fan of the newer content during H-B's decline in popularity in the 1980s. At least Scooby-Doo is still being produced with new episodes today.

I wouldn't be surprised if older Scooby-Doo toons will someday air on MeTV, but for the sake of sanity among viewers, hopefully they won't air any series with Scrappy involved. Although I did enjoy the episodes he was on, but it was more for the storyline.
    • Agree Agree x 1
  5. RascalsFan84

I realize also that, since September 1984, only ten new H-B cartoons debuted on broadcast television (four on ABC, five on NBC, and only one on CBS). This was a sign that H-B was suffering financially as we headed into the 1990s, and it makes sense, since Ruby-Spears and DiC were big names in cartoons during the latter half of the 1980s.
  6. RascalsFan84

I also noticed that the bulk of Hanna-Barbera's content during much of the first half of the 1980s was licensed material. Shirt Tales, Richie Rich, Smurfs, The Little Rascals, Pink Panther and Sons, Pac-Man, The Fonz and the Happy Days Gang, Laverne & Shirley in the Army, The Gary Coleman Show, and maybe others I do not know off the top of my head. The only original properties I recall from the early 1980s were Snorks and The Biskitts (though the former was perhaps inspired by the success of Smurfs).
  7. emeraldisle

emeraldisle Moderator Staff Member I SUPPORT BCDB!

Other originals from the 80's were Foofur, and nearly all the shows featured on The Funtastic World Of Hanna-Barbera(Yogi's Treasure Hunt, Paw-Paws, Galtar, etc). Not to mention Wildfire, which was NOT inspired by the classic Michael Murphy song.
    • Like Like x 1
  8. KnightInExile

KnightInExile Newbie New Member

Well, apart from Wacky Races, The Flintstones, The Jetsons, Captain Caveman, The Magilla Gorilla Show, Tom & Jerry, Dexter's Laboratory, Johnny Bravo, Scooby Doo, and Josie and the Pussycats, I don't watch the remaining shows of H & B, they just don't appeal to me and this is coming from someone who is going to be 50 this year! LOL!
  9. Bill Lewis

Bill Lewis Animator Forum Member New Member

I,myself,will turn 70 this November, so I remember seeing Ruff and Reddy back in the 50s,wasn't aware of HB's work on Tom and Jerry until around 1965,when they made it to network television. My favorite era of HB had to be the mid sixties,a mixture of adventure cartoons like Space Ghost and the Herculoids, as well as humorous toons like Secret Squirrel, the Impossibles, and Wacky Races.
    • Like Like x 1