1. Big Cartoon Forum

You WIll Need To Reset Your Password!!!

We just moved hosts on this system, and this has caused a few updates. One is the way we encode and store the encoded passwords.

Your old passwords will NOT work. You will need to reset your password. This is normal. Just click on reset password from the log in screen. Should be smooth as silk to do...

Sorry for the hassle.

Dave Koch
  2. Big Cartoon Forum

Are You Just Hanging Out?

Just lurking? Join the club, we'd love to have you in the Big Cartoon Forum! Sign up is easy- just enter your name and password.... or join using your Facebook account!

Membership has it's privileges... you can post and get your questions answered directly. But you can also join our community, and help other people with their questions, You can add to the discussion. And it's free! So join today!

Dave Koch
  3. Big Cartoon Forum

Other Side Of Maleficent

I have been looking forward to Maleficent with equal amounts of anticipation and dread. On one hand, she is easily my favorite Disney villain, so cold and so pure, and I want desperately to see more of her and her back-story. On the other hand, she is easily my favorite Disney villain, and I would hate to see her parodied, taken lightly or ultimately destroyed in a film that does not understand this great character. The good news is that this film almost gets it right; but that is also the bad news.

4. Big Cartoon Forum

BCDB Hits 150K Entries

It took a while, but we are finally here! The Big Cartoon DataBase hit the milestone of 150,000 entries earlier today with the addition of the cartoon The Polish Language. This film was added to BCDB on May 9th, 2014 at 4:23 PM.

5. Big Cartoon Forum

Warner Brings Back Animated Stone-Age Family

Funnyman Will Ferrell and partner Adam McKay are working on bringing back everyone’s favorite stone-age family. The duo’s production company Gary Sanchez Productions is in development on a new Flintstones animated feature.

6. Big Cartoon Forum

Disney To Feast In France

The follow up to Disney’s 2013 Academy Award Winning short Paperman has been announced, and it will premiere at France’s Annecy International Animated Film Festival. Titled The Feast, the short looks to be based on the same stylized CG techniques used on last years Paperman, a more natural and hand-drawn look to computer animation.

7. Big Cartoon Forum

Renegades of Animation: Pat Sullivan

Pat Sullivan became famous worldwide for his creation of Felix the Cat. What most animation histories gloss over is Sullivan’s checkered past and longtime standing as a wildcat renegade. He didn’t follow the rules. And he made damn sure to fully protect his intellectual properties.

Daffy Duck is at last a bigger star than Bugs- and doesn't realize it.

Discussion in 'Warner Bros.' started by Kool, Mar 5, 2021.

1. Kool

Kool Intern Forum Member New Member

I have been an avid Looney Tunes fan since childhood (27f). I own three of the golden collections and I've given every derivative of the classic cartoon series over the years at least one watch, and of course I HAD to watch "The Looney Tunes Show" when it first aired on Cartoon Network.

I am going to add a spoiler warning here, just in case.

I realized this just watching TV today, when a commercial for "The Looney Tunes Show" came on. It was prominently about Daffy, and the voice-over remarking on how much Daffy seems to steal the spotlight. He's got second billing in the credits, but first go at the laughs.

Now, of course, since Mel Blanc's death, the voices have never been the same. However, these are "reasonable facsimiles" staying true to the characters but still creating new, unique traits to the performances. And I have got to say, the show's great. It's funny, witty, antic-laden and still holding a great continuity. All those things Bugs did in his golden days? All still thing's he's done, in canon, in his youth. This was highlighted in an episode about Daffy's high school reunion. Bugs didn't go to high school because he was busy being an Olympic athlete, fighting in the War, and even being the president of Mexico (among more).

And Daffy's fate? He's as absolutely self-centered and narcissistic as Chuck Jones often showed him to be, but he's also still batshit insane, adopting personalities and weird costumes at the drop of a hat. Daffy's embraced himself as he always was, and Bugs is really keeping the rest of the world safe from him. I still love Bugs, and I love his storylines, but Daffy's antics are often driving the conflict, and Bugs is following him. When was the last time you saw Bugs do that?

Our favorite rabbit gets his share of screen time, and he's still got the charm and the calm ineffability he always had. He takes revenge when revenge is due, but he also takes a few licks for the humor of the viewer. An episode that starts with Bugs winning a Nobel prize in his spare time ends with him having destroyed his house through a series of poor home repair choices made in an effort to put up a shelf. In the end, the home repair was accomplished by Daffy's girlfriend Tina (an amazing character who I will describe later). However, this entire plotline for Bugs was spawned by a single action of Daffy's, when he refused to move a trophy that wasn't even his off a shelf in Bugs' house.

Daffy is pretty much a chaotic deity condensed into a little black duck. I'm going to quote Delirium of the Endless here: "His madness keeps him sane." Daffy's complete craziness is driven by some ridiculous combination of luck and self-absorption, and sometimes he actually comes out a hero in spite of himself. Bugs tamps him down and keeps him from causing too much destruction. This was shown in an episode where Bugs finally has enough of Daffy's lazy freeloading, and tries to put him to work. Daffy goes from pushing a muffin cart to getting posted the CEO's personal assistant on his first day (Foghorn Leghorn as a rich southern gentleman adventurer type https://100001.onl/ https://1921681254.mx/). For mouthing off to the rooster and not being a spineless yesman, Daffy goes from nobody to CEO over the course of the plot, and- drumroll, please- completely bankrupts the company. At the end of the episode Bugs realizes that he really can't let Daffy out of his sight, and enabling Daffy's laziness causes less collateral damage.

He steals the plots of many an episode and runs with it, he generates wacky antics, and he might potentially destroy the world, but he's somehow still loveable, and I would say that Tina Russo, Daffy's Jersey-talkin' and totally badass girlfriend, contributes a lot to the betterment of Daffy. She's smart, she's got a tough mouth and she's driven and motivated. And she evens out Daffy by pulling him slightly out of the mess in his head. In one episode Daffy discovers his talent as a hairdresser when Tina enrolls in beauty school and finds it's not for her. If she and Daffy get married, he'd be the stay-at-home-mom. But before you laugh, Daffy took care of Tina's infant nephew and became a supermom in one episode, and he seems to be a little more in touch with his feminine side than even Bugs (who, yes, has cross-dressed already several times). Daffy wears his grandmother's pearls around his neck, and thinks nothing of going to the movies in a schoolgirl outfit with Bugs. I think Tina helps tap into a sweeter side of him because she's strong and authoritative (like Bugs) but also fun and caring.

Bugs "second-fiddle role" is also slyly hinted at through his girlfriend, Lola, who is indeed brought from "Spacejam" but given her own flavor of crazy. If Daffy's chaotic neutral, Lola's chaotic good. She has a good heart but she's a hurricane on her own, perhaps a little more functional and self-reliant than Daffy. But Bugs seems to like the excitement, and he does like Lola, just like he actually likes Daffy, even though they're both crazy and annoying sometimes. Bugs and Daffy have found versions of each other in girlfriends, and as weird that might seem, it's more about one character acting as the "rock" and the other being anchored by that rock. But it goes to show how Bugs relates to Daffy, and Lola. He takes a place behind, to receive and shield the blow of the unpredictable characters.
  2. oneuglybunny

oneuglybunny Moderator Staff Member Forum Member

That's about the most accurate assessment of The Looney Tunes Show that I've seen on the internet. Bugs Bunny, Daffy Duck, Lola Bunny and Tina Russo form a gorgeous quadrangle of character interplay that lends itself to comedy. Bugs and Tina are the blue oni in the quad, while Daffy and Lola are the red oni. It's like the creative team took the haywire situations of Bewitched and I Dream of Jeannie, and made them neighbors. As an attempt to freshen the Looney Tunes for latter day audiences, The Looney Tunes Show works well without sacrificing much of the characters' evolution.
    Last edited: Mar 9, 2021
  3. MrCleveland

MrCleveland Key Animator Forum Member New Member

Porky Pig also had more airplay on this show.