1. Big Cartoon Forum

You WIll Need To Reset Your Password!!!

We just moved hosts on this system, and this has caused a few updates. One is the way we encode and store the encoded passwords.

Your old passwords will NOT work. You will need to reset your password. This is normal. Just click on reset password from the log in screen. Should be smooth as silk to do...

Sorry for the hassle.

Dave Koch
  2. Big Cartoon Forum

Are You Just Hanging Out?

Just lurking? Join the club, we'd love to have you in the Big Cartoon Forum! Sign up is easy- just enter your name and password.... or join using your Facebook account!

Membership has it's privileges... you can post and get your questions answered directly. But you can also join our community, and help other people with their questions, You can add to the discussion. And it's free! So join today!

Dave Koch
  3. Big Cartoon Forum

Other Side Of Maleficent

I have been looking forward to Maleficent with equal amounts of anticipation and dread. On one hand, she is easily my favorite Disney villain, so cold and so pure, and I want desperately to see more of her and her back-story. On the other hand, she is easily my favorite Disney villain, and I would hate to see her parodied, taken lightly or ultimately destroyed in a film that does not understand this great character. The good news is that this film almost gets it right; but that is also the bad news.

4. Big Cartoon Forum

BCDB Hits 150K Entries

It took a while, but we are finally here! The Big Cartoon DataBase hit the milestone of 150,000 entries earlier today with the addition of the cartoon The Polish Language. This film was added to BCDB on May 9th, 2014 at 4:23 PM.

5. Big Cartoon Forum

Warner Brings Back Animated Stone-Age Family

Funnyman Will Ferrell and partner Adam McKay are working on bringing back everyone’s favorite stone-age family. The duo’s production company Gary Sanchez Productions is in development on a new Flintstones animated feature.

6. Big Cartoon Forum

Disney To Feast In France

The follow up to Disney’s 2013 Academy Award Winning short Paperman has been announced, and it will premiere at France’s Annecy International Animated Film Festival. Titled The Feast, the short looks to be based on the same stylized CG techniques used on last years Paperman, a more natural and hand-drawn look to computer animation.

7. Big Cartoon Forum

Renegades of Animation: Pat Sullivan

Pat Sullivan became famous worldwide for his creation of Felix the Cat. What most animation histories gloss over is Sullivan’s checkered past and longtime standing as a wildcat renegade. He didn’t follow the rules. And he made damn sure to fully protect his intellectual properties.

Censored Scenes in Looney Tunes

Discussion in 'Warner Bros.' started by Dave Koch, Nov 2, 2013.

1. Dave Koch

Dave Koch Cartoon Admin

I was watching the Bugs Bunny and Tweety Show reruns on Teletoon Retro and I noticed that "Bonanza Bunny", "The Foghorn Leghorn and "Don't Give Up The Sheep" were edited for content:

1. In "Bonanza Bunny" after the card game scene, there appears to be a jump cut to the scene in which Bugs hands Blacque Jacques Shellac the gunpowder. After the card game scene there is supposed to be dialogue where Blacque Jacque says he is the roughest, toughest, etc. This appears to have been cut.

2. In "The Foghorn Leghorn", after the scene in which Foghorn is crowing at the sun, the dialogue "Hello Brer Dog" is missing and instead the scene cuts to Foghorn running up a ladder and Barnyard Dog hitting him with a watermelon.

3. In "Don't Give Up the Sheep", after Ralph Wolf sinks in the water and the scene fades the cartoon ends abruptly. The ending to the cartoon is missing.

I am sick of cartoons being televised and marketed "for kids only" when they were originally created for adult viewers, Political Correctness has gotten out of hand, in my opinion.

This thread can be a place to discuss cartoons that have been edited for content on TV and home video, or have been banned altogether from public viewing.

One other cartoon on those rerun episodes, "Dough for the Do-Do", appears to have been time-compressed and is missing the gag where the Do-Do zooms in on the WB shield and shots at Porky with a slingshot. Time-compression issues can also be discussed here.
  2. steve a

steve a Newbie New Member

CN abruptly ends Dripalong Daffy. I'd have to look at a 'good' copy of that to remember what they cut. Although Southern Fried Rabbit is no longer shown, previously Bugs' slave bit has been cut out previously.
  3. Silverstar

Silverstar Apprentice Forum Member New Member

It's just the last line. At the short's end, when Daffy says, "I told ya I'd clean up this one-horse town!", then we cut to see that he's been demoted to a sanitation worker, we then cut to Porky, who's been upgraded from 'comedy relief' sidekick to sheriff, who says to the audience, "Lucky for him this is a one-horse town!" Cartoon Network always cuts out that last part, I guess they're a tad squeamish about airing a poop joke.
  4. steve a

Dough Ray Me-Ow has had a long scene edited out, in the past, by Nick and others. Think it has to do with a railroad track. I'd have to view it again--this is another one that has been retired by CN.
  5. Glowworm

Glowworm Moderator Staff Member I SUPPORT BCDB!

If that's the reason, it's flat out ridiculous because I've seen plenty of cartoons on CN such as the Grim Adventures of Billy and Mandy that featured a lot worse poop jokes than that. This one actually takes some thinking in order to understand the joke which makes it a lot more subtle than most poop jokes IMO.

Actually there were two scenes edited out of this one. When Nickelodeon aired this one, after the "William Tell" gag, there's one in which Louie takes two live wires and tells Heathcliff that he's going to play "radio." To do so, he must place the wires in his ears. Of course this actually works for Heathcliff--his nose is the button that changes the stations, but when Louie tries it, he gets fried--complete with an "eat at Joes" gag. I first saw this short on Fox five. It included the "radio" gag, but not the train gag. Nickelodeon never showed either the "radio" gag (which I knew existed, because this one radio station used to play Louie saying "Now give me back my radio!") nor the train gag.

I never even knew the train gag existed until Cartoon Network played it--with not only the "radio" gag in tack, but also the train gag. Basically Louie has Heathcliff placed upon a train track with a tomato can on his head. Heathcliff is very excited because he is going to play "train." Louie says "All aboard" and Heathcliff starts off making train noises--a real train is coming towards him. There is a loud crash heard off screen. Don't worry, Heathcliff is fine, but the train is totally wrecked. "I've done a bad thing" announces Heathcliff.
  6. saltyboot

saltyboot A Moderating Moderator Staff Member Forum Member

I remember parts of the beginning being cut. Like the part where the guy on top of a building was shot down and two guys carried him to the undertaker.
  7. steve a

I have the Nick version of this, and I could swear the radio electocution gag is there. I have never seen the CN version. Of course the full version is on one of the GC's. I was shocked to see the railroad gag when I was transcribing the toon from an old Beta tape onto DVD. It makes sense that CN shows the electrocuttion scene intact. The Tweety where Granny is moving to a new house has Sylvester electrocuted when Tweety plugs "Lamp Sylvester" in, and that's intact.
  8. Minotaur714

Minotaur714 Intern Forum Member New Member

Hare Trimmed was severely cut, to the point where the cartoon dosen't make sense. The scenes include Sam getting flattened by a piano and shot by Granny.
  9. Bill Lewis

Bill Lewis Animator Forum Member New Member

Can't remember the title,but it was a Bugs Bunny cartoon with ''Yosemite Sam from OUTER SPACE!'',in the final scene where Bugs is listening to a shortwave broadcast from another planet(that thing has some reception!).After he hears the booby-trapped stuffed rabbit he gave to Sam explode,he starts turning the radio dial,and says ''I wonder if 'Amos and Andy' is on?''Usually that final line has been cut. Always wondered if that was considered racially insensitive,or maybe the mention of an old-time radio show was considered too dated.
  10. saltyboot

saltyboot A Moderating Moderator Staff Member Forum Member

The cartoon is Lighter Than Hare. I'm pretty sure the Amos and Andy line was cut because the show was racially insensitive.
  11. Glowworm

Glowworm Moderator Staff Member I SUPPORT BCDB!

Strangely enough, I always heard that last line whenever I saw that cartoon. Although I do understand why it would be cut.
  12. Bill Lewis

It depends,most syndicated and home video versions keep it in,where network and cable broadcasts edit it out.I noticed that with Dripalong Daffy's ''one horse town''punchline as well.
  13. Bill Lewis

There were also a few cartoons in which the ''suicide gag'' has been cut.Usually it starts with a character saying ''Well,now I've seen everything'',right before they shoot themselves.I'm thinking this was a movie reference,since they sometimes used Peter Lorre's voice.Anyway,I'd heard that when Ted Turner bought the rights to these cartoons, he ordered all those scenes to be cut,due to a family tragedy.
  14. MrCleveland

MrCleveland Key Animator Forum Member New Member

I never liked the edited versions of LT Cartoons...I can understand to a limit, like "Fresh Hare" after Bugs starts singing..."Camptown Ladies" part is cut-out because of the blackface minstrel scene...really tasteless today, but It's like watching a movie completely edited for TV. I never saw "Goodfellas" on TV, but the good lines are taken-out. Joe Pesci as Tommy yells at Billy Batts saying "Mother******* Mutt" in the film, but on TV It's..."Get My Shoebox"?

Even Whoopi Goldberg said that NOT showing these scenes or "The Censored Eleven" is just as bad if not worse than showing the cartoons.

And yes...LT were NOT for breakfast when they were aired in theaters.
  15. Humperdinck

Humperdinck Apprentice Forum Member New Member

People need to get a grip. If they continuously edit stuff out that is "insensitive" or "offensive" then where does it end? Is a cartoon character whistling at an attractive woman sexist? Should any cartoon with that be edited as well?
    Imagine a future where all original copies have been destroyed or gone missing, and all we have left are non offensive edited versions. That thought scares me greatly. People need to respect the classics and leave them alone
    • Agree Agree x 1
  16. wickedmountain

wickedmountain Newbie New Member

The cartoon where hector the dog is watching/protecting tweety for granny from sylvester has a edited part she says don't let anything happen to tweety or does shotgun sound well later on in the cartoon originally hector see's that tweety is missing and in his mind they show granny shooting him. well im the edited version this part is cut out of the cartoon.
  17. Michael J. Ruhland

Michael J. Ruhland Apprentice Forum Member New Member

The cut that annoys me the most is the cut at the end of The Scarlet Pumpernickel, where Daffy shoots himself and then states "It's getting so you have to kill yourself to sell a story around here". This cut makes the ending so abrupt that it really hampers my enjoyment of the cartoon.
    • Agree Agree x 1