1. Big Cartoon Forum

You WIll Need To Reset Your Password!!!

We just moved hosts on this system, and this has caused a few updates. One is the way we encode and store the encoded passwords.

Your old passwords will NOT work. You will need to reset your password. This is normal. Just click on reset password from the log in screen. Should be smooth as silk to do...

Sorry for the hassle.

Dave Koch
  2. Big Cartoon Forum

Are You Just Hanging Out?

Just lurking? Join the club, we'd love to have you in the Big Cartoon Forum! Sign up is easy- just enter your name and password.... or join using your Facebook account!

Membership has it's privileges... you can post and get your questions answered directly. But you can also join our community, and help other people with their questions, You can add to the discussion. And it's free! So join today!

Dave Koch
  3. Big Cartoon Forum

Other Side Of Maleficent

I have been looking forward to Maleficent with equal amounts of anticipation and dread. On one hand, she is easily my favorite Disney villain, so cold and so pure, and I want desperately to see more of her and her back-story. On the other hand, she is easily my favorite Disney villain, and I would hate to see her parodied, taken lightly or ultimately destroyed in a film that does not understand this great character. The good news is that this film almost gets it right; but that is also the bad news.

4. Big Cartoon Forum

BCDB Hits 150K Entries

It took a while, but we are finally here! The Big Cartoon DataBase hit the milestone of 150,000 entries earlier today with the addition of the cartoon The Polish Language. This film was added to BCDB on May 9th, 2014 at 4:23 PM.

5. Big Cartoon Forum

Warner Brings Back Animated Stone-Age Family

Funnyman Will Ferrell and partner Adam McKay are working on bringing back everyone’s favorite stone-age family. The duo’s production company Gary Sanchez Productions is in development on a new Flintstones animated feature.

6. Big Cartoon Forum

Disney To Feast In France

The follow up to Disney’s 2013 Academy Award Winning short Paperman has been announced, and it will premiere at France’s Annecy International Animated Film Festival. Titled The Feast, the short looks to be based on the same stylized CG techniques used on last years Paperman, a more natural and hand-drawn look to computer animation.

7. Big Cartoon Forum

Renegades of Animation: Pat Sullivan

Pat Sullivan became famous worldwide for his creation of Felix the Cat. What most animation histories gloss over is Sullivan’s checkered past and longtime standing as a wildcat renegade. He didn’t follow the rules. And he made damn sure to fully protect his intellectual properties.

The Mystery Cartoon Character Game, ongoing-ier.

Discussion in 'Free-For-All' started by oneuglybunny, Dec 31, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. emeraldisle

emeraldisle Moderator Staff Member I SUPPORT BCDB!

I have the answer now, but let's see if someone else gets it first.

Well, since there are no takers so far, here's the answer: K-9.

1. He's the faithful pet dog of Marvin The Martian.

2. The two shorts he was in were "Haredevil Hare" and "The Hasty Hare." Afterwards, he was seen on TV.

3. He spoke in the first one, and wrote notes in the other.
    Last edited: Feb 1, 2015
    • Winner Winner x 1
  2. Glowworm

Glowworm Moderator Staff Member I SUPPORT BCDB!

Yes, it is indeed K-9--the pet of Marvin the Martian. To be honest, I prefer the silent, note writing version to the dopey, talking one.
  3. emeraldisle

Thanks, Glowworm. Now here's another good one:

1. I'm another who was first animated in 1978, as part of an evil baker's dozen.

2. I have something in common with another supervillain from the same universe.

3. I guess you could say my favorite holiday is Groundhog Day-- I love thoughts of a long, cold winter.
  4. emeraldisle

I see this one's a stumper after all, so just three more clues:

4. My principal adversary is the fastest man on Earth, with a younger version in second place.

5. I wear a trademark parka.

6. My team mates include a man who could use some Rogaine, a professional toyman, and--a talking gorilla!
  5. peterhale

peterhale Moderator Staff Member I SUPPORT BCDB!

This must be Captain Cold from Challenge of the Super-Friends.
    • Winner Winner x 1
  6. emeraldisle

Yes, Pete. It's Captain Cold.

1. He's part of the Legion Of Doom, which has thirteen members total.

2. He's very much like Mr. Freeze.

Clues 3, 4, and 5 are all self-explanatory.

6. Some of the other Legionnaires include Lex Luthor, Toyman, and Grodd the Gorilla, who can think and talk like a human.

So you're up again, Pete. Good job. :)
    Last edited: Feb 5, 2015
  7. peterhale

Thanks, Emeraldisle. Never saw Super-Friends, but I read a lot of Flash comics in the 60s!

1) I'm first seen in Asia, and last seen in the Wild West, with 3 more shorts in between.

2) I'm a laid-back feline (but I'm not a panther!)

3) My final (and literal) exit marks the end of my Studio.
  8. emeraldisle

Can't put my finger on it. OUB, or one of the others should know.
  9. Glowworm

I think this is Cool Cat--but the first short did not take place in Asia and there were altogether 6 shorts.
    • Winner Winner x 1
  10. peterhale

My Bad!

Yes it's Cool Cat - I don't recall any specified local in the first film, but Tigers come from Asia, and I assumed British hunter, mock elephant and Tiger probably added up to India.

As to the number of shorts - I miscounted.

I always felt he was in part a rip-off of the Pink Panther.

In his last film, Injun Trouble, he exits by cutting himself out of the movie frame and disappearing through the hole. It was the last of the Merrie Melodies and the last "classic" Warner Brothers cartoon made before the studio closed.

Sorry about the mistakes, Glowworm, but you got it anyway!
  11. Glowworm

My earliest exposure to Looney Tunes came from Nickeolodeon which was notorious for showing the late 60s Looney Tunes. I used to see plenty of Cool Cat--but never saw "Injun Trouble" until a few years ago on Youtube. Perhaps Cool Cat does take place in India--but it's very hard to tell due to the generic jungle setting--also I was thrown off by the fact that Colonal Rimfire traveled in a mechanical elephant--elephants hail from both Africa and Asia but I often think of the African variety when it comes to cartoons.
    Fun fact--in The Sylvester and Tweety Mysteries, Cool Cat was basically seen in practically every episode in some sort of shape or form--be it bandaids, Greek sculpture, paintings, or actual cameo appearances-- you had to keep your eye out for the beatnik tiger.

Anyhow, here's one appropriate for today.
    1. I anticipate people coming to see me.
    2. However, they have come to shoot me, not to see my weather predicting abilities.
    3. My shadow and I have one heck of a song together.
  12. emeraldisle

Guess it's a groundhog, but I can't think of one that matches all three clues.
  13. FluidGirl

FluidGirl Moderator Staff Member Forum Member New Member

After some searching, I found a character named Grover Groundhog, who's from a Porky Pig cartoon entitled "One Meat Brawl," and this is the only character I can think of that fits clue number two.
    • Winner Winner x 1
  14. Glowworm

This is indeed Grover Groundhog from "One Meat Brawl." I used to see this short a lot as a small child--a bit less once Cartoon Network took over as the one place to watch Looney Tunes on television.
    1. Grover triumphantly declares "My day!" when February 2nd shows up, and hears on the radio that people are lined up outside waiting to see if he sees his shadow.
    2. However, the photographers turn out to be hunters.
    3. In the beginning of the short, Grover sings "A Groundhog's Shadow" while his shadow does all sorts of neat tricks.

Good research, FluidGirl.
  15. FluidGirl

I'm with the hunters when it comes to the groundhog, whenever he sees his shadow. I hate February for some reason. Anyway, I'm kind of hoping this will only take three clues:

1. The only time we were ever animated was the original title sequence for our show, and for introducing commercial breaks

2. When we were animated, we were mostly seen as stick figures

3. Our show's original openings were finally seen again in 2001, albeit edited, because the channel that aired them had to edit the original sponsors out of the titles.
  16. Glowworm

I like February, but then again, that's my birthday--and my boyfriend and I have our aniversary 2 days afterwards. Yeah, I'm kind of biased . ;) As for this one--I don't know.
  17. peterhale

This is Lucile Ball & Desi Arnaz fron I Love Lucy. Made by the Hanna Barbera unit when they were still working for MGM - anonymously, because MGM wanted nothing to do with TV in those days.
    • Winner Winner x 1
  18. FluidGirl

I'll give it to you, Pete, even though I was going for Lucy and Ricky Ricardo. I've been on an "I Love Lucy" kick (gotta love DVD's).
  19. peterhale

Dumb of me to think of the actors, not the characters!

Here's a good character...

1) Voiced by a comic actor in the film and another comic actor in the TV series, I bring comic relief to a dark story.

2) Injured and helpless, I rudely reject the offer of help from the movie's main character.

3) My guttural accent comes from the original book.
  20. emeraldisle

This is another I can't figure out. Sorry.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.