1. Big Cartoon Forum

You WIll Need To Reset Your Password!!!

We just moved hosts on this system, and this has caused a few updates. One is the way we encode and store the encoded passwords.

Your old passwords will NOT work. You will need to reset your password. This is normal. Just click on reset password from the log in screen. Should be smooth as silk to do...

Sorry for the hassle.

Dave Koch
  2. Big Cartoon Forum

Are You Just Hanging Out?

Just lurking? Join the club, we'd love to have you in the Big Cartoon Forum! Sign up is easy- just enter your name and password.... or join using your Facebook account!

Membership has it's privileges... you can post and get your questions answered directly. But you can also join our community, and help other people with their questions, You can add to the discussion. And it's free! So join today!

Dave Koch
  3. Big Cartoon Forum

Other Side Of Maleficent

I have been looking forward to Maleficent with equal amounts of anticipation and dread. On one hand, she is easily my favorite Disney villain, so cold and so pure, and I want desperately to see more of her and her back-story. On the other hand, she is easily my favorite Disney villain, and I would hate to see her parodied, taken lightly or ultimately destroyed in a film that does not understand this great character. The good news is that this film almost gets it right; but that is also the bad news.

4. Big Cartoon Forum

BCDB Hits 150K Entries

It took a while, but we are finally here! The Big Cartoon DataBase hit the milestone of 150,000 entries earlier today with the addition of the cartoon The Polish Language. This film was added to BCDB on May 9th, 2014 at 4:23 PM.

5. Big Cartoon Forum

Warner Brings Back Animated Stone-Age Family

Funnyman Will Ferrell and partner Adam McKay are working on bringing back everyone’s favorite stone-age family. The duo’s production company Gary Sanchez Productions is in development on a new Flintstones animated feature.

6. Big Cartoon Forum

Disney To Feast In France

The follow up to Disney’s 2013 Academy Award Winning short Paperman has been announced, and it will premiere at France’s Annecy International Animated Film Festival. Titled The Feast, the short looks to be based on the same stylized CG techniques used on last years Paperman, a more natural and hand-drawn look to computer animation.

7. Big Cartoon Forum

Renegades of Animation: Pat Sullivan

Pat Sullivan became famous worldwide for his creation of Felix the Cat. What most animation histories gloss over is Sullivan’s checkered past and longtime standing as a wildcat renegade. He didn’t follow the rules. And he made damn sure to fully protect his intellectual properties.

The Mystery Cartoon Character Game, ongoing-ier.

Discussion in 'Free-For-All' started by oneuglybunny, Dec 31, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. saltyboot

saltyboot A Moderating Moderator Staff Member Forum Member

Well, happy very belated birthday FluidGirl!
  2. oneuglybunny

oneuglybunny Moderator Staff Member Forum Member

Aw, now I feel bad for having to choose a villain character. There are two animated films that haven't been tapped yet, but I haven't seen either one in a while, so I'll need a review before I can post characters from those two films. In the meantime, well, here come the Bad:

1) This character has appeared only once to date in a partially animated feature film. Yes, some real live people show up in this feature.

2) Although this character is not human, he displays a good deal of arrogance, greed, abusiveness, intimidation ... a classic Bad Boss.

3) Surprise, this character is seen smoking on screen; one can only presume it's tobacco. Of course, this character is a Cigar Chomping Boss.
  3. emeraldisle

emeraldisle Moderator Staff Member I SUPPORT BCDB!

Aha! It must be Smart Ass, the leader of the Weasels from "Who Framed Roger Rabbit."
    • Winner Winner x 1
  4. oneuglybunny

Huh, a weasel with a cigar. Okay, Smart Ass from Who Framed Roger Rabbit counts. Score it as another +1, EI, and launch your next Mystery Character. :)
  5. emeraldisle

Thanks, well here's one for this long holiday weekend:

1. I'm part of an organization that's appeared in many cartoons besides mine, and often marches in Memorial Day parades.

2. My shorts were produced by the studio behind a superheroic rodent, a pair of troublesome magpies, and a team of mighty heroes.

3. Unfortunately, I only starred in three shorts--not enough to earn my badges.
  6. oneuglybunny

These clues point squarely at Paul Terry's Terrytoons Studios, producers of Mighty Mouse, Heckle and Jeckle, and The Mighty Heroes. However, there are three starring characters that each made three cartoons: Dimwit the dog; Duckwood the Duck; and Foofie, species indeterminate. According to clue 1, this character would have to part of the Armed Services, either the Army or the Navy. If I had to guess, I'd point at Foofie.
  7. emeraldisle

No, it's not Foofie. In fact, I never knew about Foofie until just now.
  8. peterhale

peterhale Moderator Staff Member I SUPPORT BCDB!

Alas! OUB missed out one Terrytoons 3-trick pony...
    This must be Good Deed Daly, boy scout star of Good Deed Daly (1955), Scouts to the Rescue (1956) and Cloak and Stagger (1956)
    • Winner Winner x 1
  9. emeraldisle

Yes, Pete, It's Good Deed Daly, one of the more obscure Terrytoons characters. Now to explain:

1. Boy Scouts have been animated by many different studios. And they(and Girl Scouts, too, BTW) often march in Memorial Day Parades.

Clues 2 and three are very self-explanatory.

So you get a merit badge and another turn, Good job. :)
  10. peterhale

Sorry for the delay.

Here is quite an obscure character...

1) I took over from a fox, but only made 2 song-based shorts for my original director.
    2) My name was used in 2 shorts by the new studio's most prolific director, but this juvenile is really a different character.
    3) A member of my species became a mascot for the studio.
  11. emeraldisle

This is another that calls for research. Perhaps someone else has done their homework on this guy.
  12. saltyboot

saltyboot A Moderating Moderator Staff Member Forum Member

This is a tough one.

13. oneuglybunny

"Took over from a fox ..." sounds like Foxy, one of the early Mickey Mouse-clone characters from Hugh Harman and Rudolf Ising for Leon Sclesinger's studios. Harman and Ising didn't stay with Schlesinger all that long, and would end up founding their own studio, which by the whim of Fate, hired William Hanna as a janitor. We all know where that went: he became co-founder of Hanna-Barbera Studios. Did Harman-Ising Studios have a mascot? I can't recall one. *shrug*
  14. Glowworm

Glowworm Moderator Staff Member I SUPPORT BCDB!

It's Piggy!
    1. He came after Foxy-- and starred in "Hittin' the Trail for Hallelujah Land" and "You Don't Know What You're Doin'!"
    2. There was another character created by Friz Freleng of the same name who starred in "At Your Service Madam" and "Pigs Is Pigs."
    3. Porky of course became the mascot.
    • Winner Winner x 1
  15. peterhale

Piggy it is! And you have covered all the clues - even though I was a little vague in my use of the term "the studio". (Harman and Ising's studio was contracted with Schlesinger to make Looney Tunes, and subsequently Merrie Melodies, for Warner Brothers. When they fell out Schlesinger formed his own studio to continue to fulfill his contract with the Warners. Hence clues 2 & 3 referred to Schlesinger's studio.)

Disney's relationship with Harman and Ising started in Kansas City when they worked for Disney on the Laugh-O-Grams cartoons. When Laugh-O-Grams went bancrupt and Disney left for Hollywood, Harman and Ising set up their own company, Arabian Nights Cartoons, but couldn't get funding or distribution. When Disney called on them to join him on the Alice series, they came on the understanding that they still planned to seek distribution for their own series. This never bore any fruit, and Harman and Ising stayed with Walt, effectively becoming the second unit on the Oswald series - alternating titles with Walt and Ub. Because of this closeness, I suspect that Walt may have sent them a 'friendly warning' about his intention to sue over Foxy's similarity to Mickey, and in turn Harman and Ising may have agreed to drop the character. (I don't know of any evidence for this, but it seems very likely!) Hence Ising created Piggy - a character whose nose and ears clearly differentiate him from the mouse (even if everything else looks the same!). Apparently Ising took the rights to Piggy with him when they parted company with Schlesinger. but never subsequently used him. Hence Freleng's prime sibling of the Hamhock family is a different character.

You Don't Know What You're Doin'! is a great mix of the "Putting on a Show" and "Evils (or Joys!) of Alcohol" themes that were such common plot elements of the times. You can watch it here.

Well spotted, Glowworm - it's all yours!
    • Useful Useful x 1
  16. Glowworm

Strangely enough, this was one old black and white character I actually knew about without needing to look up anything except how to write the titles properly. Although I've never seen "Hittin' the Trail for Hallelujah Land", I have seen "You Don't Know What You're Doin'!" on my Looney Tunes Golden Collection Volume 6--disc 3.

Anyhow, here we go.

1. Although marked as a typical "Damsel in Distress", I am better at defeating the villain than my love interest is.
    2. Although I do like the series' hero--a typical running gag is that I have a thing for his horse.
    3. My father is the chief of police--and sometimes just as clueless as the hero.
  17. FluidGirl

FluidGirl Moderator Staff Member Forum Member New Member

Nell Fenwick from "Dudley Do-Right!" Clue 2 is what clued me in!
    • Winner Winner x 1
  18. Glowworm

Yes, It is Nell Fenwick.
    1. Despite the opening of Snidely Whiplash tying a wailing Nell to the railroad track, Nell has probably defeated Snidely the most on her own--granted, Snidely never stayed caught due to her father's stupidity or sheer sexism, but hey, she actually did catch him. (in one episode where Nell and Dudley swap identities for the day, The Inspector insists on pretending he doesn't see Snidely Whiplash because he doesn't want Nell's example to lead to women suffrage.)
    2. Yes, for some bizarre reason which somehow got past the censors, Nell clearly did have a thing for Dudley's horse.
    3. Yeah, Inspector Fenwick of the Canadian Mounted Police--the man had some excellent ideas at times, but could also be just as clueless as Dudley.
  19. FluidGirl

FluidGirl Moderator Staff Member Forum Member New Member

I'm afraid I'm going to pass my next turn, because I don't have a character in mind. This is always the way. I never have a character when I want it to be my turn, which then takes forever for me to get the character. Then when I get a character relatively quickly from my last turn, I don't have one to use! Sigh. That's almost always the way, isn't it?
  20. emeraldisle

In that case, I'll take over. Get a load of these clues:

1. We're voiced by a real life husband and wife, one of whom is now deceased.

2. We're a couple of road vehicles often used on camping and road trips.

3. Our movie features an unlikely team of firefighters, one of whom began his career as a cropduster.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.