1. Big Cartoon Forum

You WIll Need To Reset Your Password!!!

We just moved hosts on this system, and this has caused a few updates. One is the way we encode and store the encoded passwords.

Your old passwords will NOT work. You will need to reset your password. This is normal. Just click on reset password from the log in screen. Should be smooth as silk to do...

Sorry for the hassle.

Dave Koch
  2. Big Cartoon Forum

Are You Just Hanging Out?

Just lurking? Join the club, we'd love to have you in the Big Cartoon Forum! Sign up is easy- just enter your name and password.... or join using your Facebook account!

Membership has it's privileges... you can post and get your questions answered directly. But you can also join our community, and help other people with their questions, You can add to the discussion. And it's free! So join today!

Dave Koch
  3. Big Cartoon Forum

Other Side Of Maleficent

I have been looking forward to Maleficent with equal amounts of anticipation and dread. On one hand, she is easily my favorite Disney villain, so cold and so pure, and I want desperately to see more of her and her back-story. On the other hand, she is easily my favorite Disney villain, and I would hate to see her parodied, taken lightly or ultimately destroyed in a film that does not understand this great character. The good news is that this film almost gets it right; but that is also the bad news.

4. Big Cartoon Forum

BCDB Hits 150K Entries

It took a while, but we are finally here! The Big Cartoon DataBase hit the milestone of 150,000 entries earlier today with the addition of the cartoon The Polish Language. This film was added to BCDB on May 9th, 2014 at 4:23 PM.

5. Big Cartoon Forum

Warner Brings Back Animated Stone-Age Family

Funnyman Will Ferrell and partner Adam McKay are working on bringing back everyone’s favorite stone-age family. The duo’s production company Gary Sanchez Productions is in development on a new Flintstones animated feature.

6. Big Cartoon Forum

Disney To Feast In France

The follow up to Disney’s 2013 Academy Award Winning short Paperman has been announced, and it will premiere at France’s Annecy International Animated Film Festival. Titled The Feast, the short looks to be based on the same stylized CG techniques used on last years Paperman, a more natural and hand-drawn look to computer animation.

7. Big Cartoon Forum

Renegades of Animation: Pat Sullivan

Pat Sullivan became famous worldwide for his creation of Felix the Cat. What most animation histories gloss over is Sullivan’s checkered past and longtime standing as a wildcat renegade. He didn’t follow the rules. And he made damn sure to fully protect his intellectual properties.

Remembering The Old Days..

Discussion in 'Non-Animated Movies And TV' started by AtTheSpeedOfSound, Jul 10, 2023.

1. AtTheSpeedOfSound

AtTheSpeedOfSound Newbie New Member

Something sprang into my head, and I remembered the existence of this place. Many moons ago I was a very active participant in this forum. It was like Cheers, where everybody knew your name and we were actually quite a fun group of people. Loved talking about cartoons, television shows and the like. I was Pikachu, later Commander Yammark (My lord can you tell I was kid with those silly names).. this must have been back in the mid 00s? It was Dave Koch (I still have that Tom and Jerry double DVD you mailed me!), mreiof (That was a funny acronym if I recall right), damfine, (?) The Zinc Saucier (Wrong name I know). Who’s still here? If it tells you how much time has passed I was probably 13, and now I’m in my early 30s. Sending you all this message from Sunny Southern Calfornia and I hope this finds you all well.
  2. AtTheSpeedOfSound

By the way, sorry in advance. Realizing I posted this in the wrong category. Should have went in Free For All probably haha.
  3. oneuglybunny

oneuglybunny Moderator Staff Member Forum Member

Well, let's see. There's been some changes, mostly for the worse. Zinc Saucier was just an ad hoc title for Chef Kukuru, a co-admin alongside Dave Koch, and the founder of another website (Toon News? Toon View? Can't remember clearly). She vanished about a year after we switched to Xenforo in 2010 from Gossamer Forum 1.2.3. Mreiof is still here, also posting on Fur Affinity. He's like one of the original posters after Dave founded the BCDb. TammiToon is still here, though she goes by EmeraldIsle now, and is the de facto admin of this place. Dave himself made a plea for help adding new cartoon titles to the database, but nobody knew Excel well enough to be useful. Presumably he has his hands full with the new Esme and Gobelins stuff, plus Illumination and Bad Robot projects. Ugly, lumpy me got bumped up to moderator. Sadly, many of the old stalwarts have moved on or passed away: no more bRaDeN, no more cd637299, no more Zavkram, no more PeterHale from the UK. Honestly, this forum has become moribund, and a sinkhole for "buy our crap" link farms.

But, hey, welcome back, Commander. How was vacation?
  4. mreiof

mreiof Moderator Staff Member I SUPPORT BCDB! Forum Member

Hey, Commander! Yes, things at the BCDB Forum have pretty much shriveled after the 2013 server-transition that OneUglyBunny mentions above (was it really that long ago?). In addition to the roll call OUB provided, I will add MrCleveland, who is still here; saltyboot, fmly known as cartoonfan4ever (who is around here somewhere); and eminovitz, real name Ethan Minovitz, a cartoon resource wizard from British Columbia who passed away from a diabetic stroke in 2013 at the heart-wrenching age of 50. Ethan was second to Dave Koch as the Forum's driving force and his loss was, in a word, irreplaceable. He was as generous with his time as he was knowledgeable in his field and the Forum never really recovered from his passing. Every blog needs an "eminovitz" to engage the world on daily basis, and when we had him, the Forum had the resource it needed to be the fun, participatory group that you so fondly recall. Now the few of us who remain check the mailbox and hope that one day we'll hear from Dave Koch and learn that everything is ok with him. I have reached out to him, but so far… [crickets]
    Good to hear from you. Hope you're doing well, and since you asked, my handle stands for My Rear End Is On Fire (you were saying something about silly names?). ^•^
  5. AtTheSpeedOfSound

Thanks for the response buddy. Good to hear from you. Chef Kukuru… I remember that I was offered a moderator position at their other website, but I declined, probably for lack of time. As for vacation, that was a quick, quick decade and a half ‍ All those names you threw out there… at one point or another I had conversed with all those people. Good memories, for sure.
  6. AtTheSpeedOfSound

Thanks for responding mreiof, very good to hear from you. You know I think the reason I ended up on this forum was because I was in a phase where I was discovering message boards, loved anime and animation in general and had a dream of being a voice actor. Funny how things worked, I ended up in the movie industry, but as a union set carpenter, a job I’m five years into. 25 more to go! I remember Ethan and have the same fond feeling toward him that you do, and very sorry to hear that he is no longer with us. As emotional as it sounds, the community that was here, was a friendly and inviting place for a young, homeschooled kid with a lot of time on his hands in between studying. And even if we never all met each other in real life, the camaraderie we all had with and towards each other was real enough.
    • Friendly Friendly x 2
  7. mreiof

mreiof Moderator Staff Member I SUPPORT BCDB! Forum Member

Well, thanks for the warm regards, ATSOS (there, now you have an acronym). Hope your movie industry dreams all come true—I have some of my own and, who knows, maybe one day there will be a phone call that changes everything for us both. Here's hoping.
    Anyway, allow me to welcome you (once again) to the Forum. [welcome]
    • Like Like x 1
  8. MrCleveland

MrCleveland Key Animator Forum Member New Member

I'm still here...been a member for 16 years.