1. Big Cartoon Forum

You WIll Need To Reset Your Password!!!

We just moved hosts on this system, and this has caused a few updates. One is the way we encode and store the encoded passwords.

Your old passwords will NOT work. You will need to reset your password. This is normal. Just click on reset password from the log in screen. Should be smooth as silk to do...

Sorry for the hassle.

Dave Koch
  2. Big Cartoon Forum

Are You Just Hanging Out?

Just lurking? Join the club, we'd love to have you in the Big Cartoon Forum! Sign up is easy- just enter your name and password.... or join using your Facebook account!

Membership has it's privileges... you can post and get your questions answered directly. But you can also join our community, and help other people with their questions, You can add to the discussion. And it's free! So join today!

Dave Koch
  3. Big Cartoon Forum

Other Side Of Maleficent

I have been looking forward to Maleficent with equal amounts of anticipation and dread. On one hand, she is easily my favorite Disney villain, so cold and so pure, and I want desperately to see more of her and her back-story. On the other hand, she is easily my favorite Disney villain, and I would hate to see her parodied, taken lightly or ultimately destroyed in a film that does not understand this great character. The good news is that this film almost gets it right; but that is also the bad news.

4. Big Cartoon Forum

BCDB Hits 150K Entries

It took a while, but we are finally here! The Big Cartoon DataBase hit the milestone of 150,000 entries earlier today with the addition of the cartoon The Polish Language. This film was added to BCDB on May 9th, 2014 at 4:23 PM.

5. Big Cartoon Forum

Warner Brings Back Animated Stone-Age Family

Funnyman Will Ferrell and partner Adam McKay are working on bringing back everyone’s favorite stone-age family. The duo’s production company Gary Sanchez Productions is in development on a new Flintstones animated feature.

6. Big Cartoon Forum

Disney To Feast In France

The follow up to Disney’s 2013 Academy Award Winning short Paperman has been announced, and it will premiere at France’s Annecy International Animated Film Festival. Titled The Feast, the short looks to be based on the same stylized CG techniques used on last years Paperman, a more natural and hand-drawn look to computer animation.

7. Big Cartoon Forum

Renegades of Animation: Pat Sullivan

Pat Sullivan became famous worldwide for his creation of Felix the Cat. What most animation histories gloss over is Sullivan’s checkered past and longtime standing as a wildcat renegade. He didn’t follow the rules. And he made damn sure to fully protect his intellectual properties.

Pixie and Dixie - Cousin Tex

Discussion in 'Hanna-Barbera' started by Dave Koch, Nov 2, 2013.

1. Dave Koch

Dave Koch Cartoon Admin

Plot: Cousin Tex pays a visit and treats Jinks like a horsie. Jinks' plan to bring in his own Texan relative to retaliate is an unexpected failure.
    Cast: Jinks, Dixie, Cousin Tex - Daws Butler; Pixie, Cousin Pecos - Don Messick.
    Released: October 2, 1958.

This was the debut Pixie and Dixie cartoon. Carlo Vinci handled the animation, Ed Benedict provided the layout and Fernando Montealegre did the backgrounds.

The cartoon's kind of a self-fulfilling prophecy. Pixie and Dixie are watching Knockout Mouse (stick/outline figures) on TV (black and white, of course) and Jinks informs them that mice beating up cats happens only in cartoons.

This is not a terribly funny cartoon and about the most enjoyable thing is looking at some of Carlo Vinci's poses. I must admit, the character design at times looks as ugly as something in a Terrytoon, which shouldn't be surprising, I guess, considering Vinci's work on Mighty Mouse not too many years before.

[​IMG]

I'm not sure if Monty used a roller to get the paint effect on the couch below left, but he uses it in a bunch of these early cartoons. And we get lots of limited animation; mouths moving on stationary bodies, and a couple of scare takes, where two drawings are alternated in a cycle to simulate movement. One is generally with hair standing on end, like below right.

[​IMG]

There's one voice error I caught, where Tex's voice comes out of Dixie.

Jinks' best line is when he's being branded and remarks that it's like "someone's roastin' a overcoat."

Tex only appeared in one cartoon, but Hanna-Barbera briefly tried marketing him anyway. As the studio developed more characters by 1960, Tex was long forgotten. But here, he pretends to be in the big leagues of cartoons by calling Jinks a "mangy varmint" as would a far bigger star at Warners.

Today's number is four. That's how many times Pixie and Dixie run past the same light socket.

The soundtrack features a rare appearance by Bill Loose and John Seely's "Rural" (registered at BMI as "Rural Stage") and the whole version of Jack Shaindlin's "The Reluctant Elephant (aka "Grotesque No. 2"). It runs 2:38, which is a little longer than most of the production beds found in these cartoons. And there's the ubiquitous circus chase music I haven't been able to place but am guessing by the arrangement and the sound its a Shaindlin piece.

0:00 - Pixie and Dixie vocal opening theme (Hanna-Barbera-Curtin-Shows).
    0:26 - TC 42 RURAL STAGE (Loose-Seely) - Mice watch Knockout Mouse.
    0:51 - L 81 COMEDY UNDERSCORE (Spencer Moore) - Jinks appears from hiding.
    0:57 - 5-F-20 TOBOGGAN RUN (Shaindlin) - Jinks chases mice into hole.
    1:31 - bassoon and zig-zag strings bed (Shaindlin?) - Dixie reads telegram; Tex arrives, walks into living room.
    2:54 - TC 303 ZANY COMEDY (Loose-Seely) - Jinks talks to Tex in fridge, takes him outside.
    3:55 - circus chase music (Shaindlin?) - Tex rides Jinks.
    4:55 - F-7 THE RELUCTANT ELEPHANT (Shaindlin) - Jinks branded, calls Cousin Pecos, "I've been sick" Pecos arrives.
    7:10 - Pixie and Dixie closing theme (Curtin).

Dodsworth
    http://yowpyowp.blogspot.com
  2. Yowp

Yowp Apprentice Forum Member New Member

Dave, thanks for re-posting this. A shame the graphics didn't transfer over.
    A couple of additional notes:
    Mike Lah handles part of the cartoon. He picks up the animation when Tex is about to brand Jinks and carries through until Jinks leaps into the sky from atop the box.
    The late Earl Kress identified the cue at 3:55 as Jack Shaindlin's "On the Run." He never was able to find the name of the other unidentified cue amongst his files.

Yowp
    Yowp
    • Informative Informative x 1
  3. oneuglybunny

oneuglybunny Moderator Staff Member Forum Member

Good sleuthing, Yowp. That really puts the audio tracks in sync with the action. Regrets, I cannot identify where I've heard the "bassoon warble," but it seems to be an underscore for "comes to his senses" moments.
  4. Yowp

Yowp Apprentice Forum Member New Member

That particular cue, OUB, was used in commercials when I was a kid (early '60s). I can't recall if it appeared in late '50s sitcoms, but it's a possibility.
    Hanna-Barbera had music clearance sheets for the cartoons at one time, as Earl went through some of them, and a copy for one Huckleberry Hound Show was sent to me.

Yowp