1. Big Cartoon Forum

You WIll Need To Reset Your Password!!!

We just moved hosts on this system, and this has caused a few updates. One is the way we encode and store the encoded passwords.

Your old passwords will NOT work. You will need to reset your password. This is normal. Just click on reset password from the log in screen. Should be smooth as silk to do...

Sorry for the hassle.

Dave Koch
  2. Big Cartoon Forum

Are You Just Hanging Out?

Just lurking? Join the club, we'd love to have you in the Big Cartoon Forum! Sign up is easy- just enter your name and password.... or join using your Facebook account!

Membership has it's privileges... you can post and get your questions answered directly. But you can also join our community, and help other people with their questions, You can add to the discussion. And it's free! So join today!

Dave Koch
  3. Big Cartoon Forum

Other Side Of Maleficent

I have been looking forward to Maleficent with equal amounts of anticipation and dread. On one hand, she is easily my favorite Disney villain, so cold and so pure, and I want desperately to see more of her and her back-story. On the other hand, she is easily my favorite Disney villain, and I would hate to see her parodied, taken lightly or ultimately destroyed in a film that does not understand this great character. The good news is that this film almost gets it right; but that is also the bad news.

4. Big Cartoon Forum

BCDB Hits 150K Entries

It took a while, but we are finally here! The Big Cartoon DataBase hit the milestone of 150,000 entries earlier today with the addition of the cartoon The Polish Language. This film was added to BCDB on May 9th, 2014 at 4:23 PM.

5. Big Cartoon Forum

Warner Brings Back Animated Stone-Age Family

Funnyman Will Ferrell and partner Adam McKay are working on bringing back everyone’s favorite stone-age family. The duo’s production company Gary Sanchez Productions is in development on a new Flintstones animated feature.

6. Big Cartoon Forum

Disney To Feast In France

The follow up to Disney’s 2013 Academy Award Winning short Paperman has been announced, and it will premiere at France’s Annecy International Animated Film Festival. Titled The Feast, the short looks to be based on the same stylized CG techniques used on last years Paperman, a more natural and hand-drawn look to computer animation.

7. Big Cartoon Forum

Renegades of Animation: Pat Sullivan

Pat Sullivan became famous worldwide for his creation of Felix the Cat. What most animation histories gloss over is Sullivan’s checkered past and longtime standing as a wildcat renegade. He didn’t follow the rules. And he made damn sure to fully protect his intellectual properties.

Huckleberry Hound - Lion-Hearted Lion

Discussion in 'Hanna-Barbera' started by Dave Koch, Nov 2, 2013.

1. Dave Koch

Dave Koch Cartoon Admin

Plot: Huck goes to Africa to hunt big game, and takes on a practical joking King of the Jungle. Huck takes a pounding and doesn't capture the lion, but leo gets his in the end when one of his tricks backfires.
    Cast: Huck (Daws Butler), Lion (Daws Butler), Narrator (Don Messick), Monkey (Don Messick).

Ken Muse is creditted with the animation here, with the layout by Bick Bickenback and backgrounds by Fernando Montealegre in various shades of jungle green. Charlie Shows wrote this with Dan Gordon, who provided story sketches.

[​IMG]

The best part in this cartoon is, as usual, Daws, this time using his Frank Fontaine-ish voice for the lion. Huck's cartoons are pretty standard. He gets picked on, sometimes violently, then stops and remarks something to the audience (see above right), generally so casually it's like pain doesn't bother him.

Charlie Shows seems to have loved the idea of a narrator. You'll find one in a bunch of the H-B cartoons he wrote. He wisely uses one here just to establish the story and then the action takes over.

[​IMG]

Some clever animation-saving devices can be found here. One is where movement is simulated by holding a character in the air and then doing a leg spin-cycle for a few seconds (above left); Jinx did this in Cousin Tex. This same cycle is used once before in the cartoon, thus saving more animation.

When Huck is caught in the trap, the audience never actually sees it; there's a cutaway shot to the lion. On top of that, there's a five-second hold on the shot in the above right while the lion laughs. Can footage be any easier?

There's a continuity screw-up. When the lion is woken up by the phone, he is not wearing a crown. There's a cut to his arm reaching to answer the phone, and then the scene cuts back to a full shot of the lion and he's wearing a crown.

Only four music beds are used in the cartoon itself. This one has the most common of the circus-chase pieces found in the early H-B cartoons. I haven't been able to find who wrote them. I have found three different F-3 numbers assigned to the tune Recess (I picked the number in my downloaded music file). And Huck hasn't learned to sing Clementine yet.

0:00 Huck drum open theme (Hoyt Curtin)
    0:26 ZR-49 LIGHT EERIE (Geordie Hormel). Monkey warns lion Huck is looking for game.
    2:01 1-F-1 FISHY STORY (Jack Shaindlin). Huck follows tracks, chases lion into cave, digs hole.
    4:00 bassoon effect.
    4:06 circus chase music (?). Lion covers hole, snares Huck, tosses tacks in path of Huck's jeep.
    5:13 21-F-3 RECESS (Shaindlin). Lion jacks up jeep, Huck caught in trap, lion steals motor.
    6:48 circus chase music (?). Lion rides motor in sky.
    7:12 Huck drum close theme (Curtin)

Dodsworth