1. Big Cartoon Forum

You WIll Need To Reset Your Password!!!

We just moved hosts on this system, and this has caused a few updates. One is the way we encode and store the encoded passwords.

Your old passwords will NOT work. You will need to reset your password. This is normal. Just click on reset password from the log in screen. Should be smooth as silk to do...

Sorry for the hassle.

Dave Koch
  2. Big Cartoon Forum

Are You Just Hanging Out?

Just lurking? Join the club, we'd love to have you in the Big Cartoon Forum! Sign up is easy- just enter your name and password.... or join using your Facebook account!

Membership has it's privileges... you can post and get your questions answered directly. But you can also join our community, and help other people with their questions, You can add to the discussion. And it's free! So join today!

Dave Koch
  3. Big Cartoon Forum

Other Side Of Maleficent

I have been looking forward to Maleficent with equal amounts of anticipation and dread. On one hand, she is easily my favorite Disney villain, so cold and so pure, and I want desperately to see more of her and her back-story. On the other hand, she is easily my favorite Disney villain, and I would hate to see her parodied, taken lightly or ultimately destroyed in a film that does not understand this great character. The good news is that this film almost gets it right; but that is also the bad news.

4. Big Cartoon Forum

BCDB Hits 150K Entries

It took a while, but we are finally here! The Big Cartoon DataBase hit the milestone of 150,000 entries earlier today with the addition of the cartoon The Polish Language. This film was added to BCDB on May 9th, 2014 at 4:23 PM.

5. Big Cartoon Forum

Warner Brings Back Animated Stone-Age Family

Funnyman Will Ferrell and partner Adam McKay are working on bringing back everyone’s favorite stone-age family. The duo’s production company Gary Sanchez Productions is in development on a new Flintstones animated feature.

6. Big Cartoon Forum

Disney To Feast In France

The follow up to Disney’s 2013 Academy Award Winning short Paperman has been announced, and it will premiere at France’s Annecy International Animated Film Festival. Titled The Feast, the short looks to be based on the same stylized CG techniques used on last years Paperman, a more natural and hand-drawn look to computer animation.

7. Big Cartoon Forum

Renegades of Animation: Pat Sullivan

Pat Sullivan became famous worldwide for his creation of Felix the Cat. What most animation histories gloss over is Sullivan’s checkered past and longtime standing as a wildcat renegade. He didn’t follow the rules. And he made damn sure to fully protect his intellectual properties.

Host Mike Douglas sang as Prince Charming

Discussion in 'In Memoriam...' started by eminovitz, Nov 6, 2013.

1. eminovitz

eminovitz Research Guru / Moderator Emeritus

Posted:
    Aug 11, 2006

TV talk show host Mike Douglas, whose talents included providing Prince Charming's singing voice in the 1950 Disney feature film Cinderella, died early Friday on his 81st birthday.

Douglas died at 5:30 a.m. in a hospital in Palm Beach Gardens, Florida, wife Genevieve said. She said that he had been admitted Thursday, but was unsure of the cause.

A former big-band singer, Douglas had an afternoon show from 1961 to 1982. As Prince Charming, he sang "So This Is Love" on the Cinderella soundtrack.

Douglas had been treated on and off since becoming dehydrated on the golf course several weeks ago. "He was coming along fine, we thought. It was really a shock," she said. "We never anticipated this to happen."

Along with his big-band and ballad singing, the Mike Douglas Show featured musicians, comedians and politicians, including seven past, present or future presidents.

"People still believe The Mike Douglas Show was a talk show, and I never correct them, but I don't think so," Douglas wrote in his 1999 memoir, I'll Be Right Back: Memories of TV's Greatest Talk Show.

"It was really a music show, with a whole lot of talk and laughter in between numbers."

Most of the syndicated shows were 90 minutes long. Douglas hosted about 6,000 shows.

About 30,000 guests appeared on The Mike Douglas Show over the years, said Tom Kelly, co-author of Douglas' memoir.

"One big key to his great success was he had his ego in check. He always let the guest have the limelight," Kelly said.

"He was a fine performer. He could sing, he could do comedy, he did it all, but he always gave the guest the spotlight."

Douglas was "an outgrowth on the 1950s mentality of politeness," said TV historian Tim Brooks, executive vice-president of research for Lifetime Television Network.

"Even when America was getting kind of angry in the 1960s and 1970s, his show was sort of an oasis of politeness," Brooks said. "It got you away from some of the turmoil in life."

He was born Michael Delaney Dowd in Chicago on August 11, 1925. In his teens, he started his career as a singer and entertainer for supper clubs and radio shows. He became the staff singer at radio station WKY in Oklahoma City.

During the Second World War, he joined the Navy and served on a munitions ship.

Afterward, he was a featured performer on radio show Kay Kyser's Kollege of Musical Knowledge, which moved to TV. Kyser gave him his stage name. Walt Disney heard him singing and asked him to provide Prince Charming's singing voice in Cinderella.

His 1940s hits with Kyser included "Old Lamplighter" and, in 1946, "Ole Buttermilk Sky" (he was credited on the Columbia record label as "Michael Douglas"). In February 1966, "The Men in My Little Girl's Life" gave him another spot on the pop charts (it reached a surprising #6).

"In the old days, I was often confused with Merv Griffin," Douglas once recalled. "We were the same height, the same weight, and we were both Irish tenors."

Realizing that rock and roll was making his style less easy to sell, Douglas looked for a way to reinvent himself professionally.

Douglas briefly hosted Hi, Ladies!, a daytime show on Chicago TV station WGN. In 1961, Westinghouse Group W program director Woody Fraser hired him at a Group W station in Cleveland, then KYW, to host a talk and entertainment show.

The program began syndication in 1963, but its small budget and Cleveland's lack of appeal for potential guests limited its marketability. The Mike Douglas Show moved to Philadelphia in 1965 and Los Angeles in 1978.

In 1966, Group W replaced Douglas with John Davidson, a younger singer. The Mike Douglas Show remained in syndication under Douglas' retirement in 1982 to North Palm Beach, Florida.

Douglas spent much of his free time playing golf, but guested on several talk shows. He appeared as himself on three episodes of The Rosie O'Donnell Show from 1996 to 1999.

Although he was diagnosed in 1990 with prostate cancer, surgery was successful.

Mike Douglas married Genevieve Purnell in 1944. They had three daughters: Kelly Anne and twins Michelle and Christine. Douglas also had a brother, Robert, and a sister, Helen.