1. Big Cartoon Forum

You WIll Need To Reset Your Password!!!

We just moved hosts on this system, and this has caused a few updates. One is the way we encode and store the encoded passwords.

Your old passwords will NOT work. You will need to reset your password. This is normal. Just click on reset password from the log in screen. Should be smooth as silk to do...

Sorry for the hassle.

Dave Koch
  2. Big Cartoon Forum

Are You Just Hanging Out?

Just lurking? Join the club, we'd love to have you in the Big Cartoon Forum! Sign up is easy- just enter your name and password.... or join using your Facebook account!

Membership has it's privileges... you can post and get your questions answered directly. But you can also join our community, and help other people with their questions, You can add to the discussion. And it's free! So join today!

Dave Koch
  3. Big Cartoon Forum

Other Side Of Maleficent

I have been looking forward to Maleficent with equal amounts of anticipation and dread. On one hand, she is easily my favorite Disney villain, so cold and so pure, and I want desperately to see more of her and her back-story. On the other hand, she is easily my favorite Disney villain, and I would hate to see her parodied, taken lightly or ultimately destroyed in a film that does not understand this great character. The good news is that this film almost gets it right; but that is also the bad news.

4. Big Cartoon Forum

BCDB Hits 150K Entries

It took a while, but we are finally here! The Big Cartoon DataBase hit the milestone of 150,000 entries earlier today with the addition of the cartoon The Polish Language. This film was added to BCDB on May 9th, 2014 at 4:23 PM.

5. Big Cartoon Forum

Warner Brings Back Animated Stone-Age Family

Funnyman Will Ferrell and partner Adam McKay are working on bringing back everyone’s favorite stone-age family. The duo’s production company Gary Sanchez Productions is in development on a new Flintstones animated feature.

6. Big Cartoon Forum

Disney To Feast In France

The follow up to Disney’s 2013 Academy Award Winning short Paperman has been announced, and it will premiere at France’s Annecy International Animated Film Festival. Titled The Feast, the short looks to be based on the same stylized CG techniques used on last years Paperman, a more natural and hand-drawn look to computer animation.

7. Big Cartoon Forum

Renegades of Animation: Pat Sullivan

Pat Sullivan became famous worldwide for his creation of Felix the Cat. What most animation histories gloss over is Sullivan’s checkered past and longtime standing as a wildcat renegade. He didn’t follow the rules. And he made damn sure to fully protect his intellectual properties.

CSI Saturday Morning.

Discussion in 'Hanna-Barbera' started by emeraldisle, Jul 5, 2014.

1. emeraldisle

emeraldisle Moderator Staff Member I SUPPORT BCDB!

Hanna-Barbera continued its "Scooby" trend with "Clue Club." And yet, I noticed things that set it apart from the regular formula. The gang's car had a built in TV and carphone, just like Courageous Cat's Catmobile. Plus, they also took a leaf from Dick Tracy by wearing wrist radios. Dotty was a computer geek, who ran background checks on the suspects. She'd have been useful on "CSI" or "NCIS." Did Scooby and his friends ever do anything like that? No, sir. And I always believed Pepper was named after Angie Dickinson's character on "Police Woman."

I was also able to see much of the humor. Pepper making fun of D.D., even though he did show intelligence. Woofer boasting his abilities to Wimper, until they were chased by a monster. My favorite example of this is when they were pursued by a pumpkin-headed scarecrow. Here's what they said:

Wimper: Do you think he's leftover from Halloween?

Woofer: I think he's left over from a nightmare!

Woofer's arrogance really showed when he tried to audition for a movie. He was convinced Lassie and Rin Tin Tin were bloodhounds like him and Wimper, even though Wimper reminded him they were a Collie and German Shepherd respectively. Real human actors like Paul Newman, Robert Redford, and John Wayne were also mentioned.

But one instance of humor that had both me and my siblings laughing was when D. D got printer's ink on the seat of his pants. Larry commented, "Now maybe we'll get to the bottom of this." We were thinking of D.D.'s predicament.

But the episode that really stood out for me was "The Walking House Caper." For even though Dotty was never allowed to join the gang on their cases(but did, anyway), this time, they actually EXPECTED her to come to the rescue when they were locked in the house. And she did, along with the dogs and Sheriff Bagley.

When the show was retitled "Woofer And Wimper: Dog Detectives" for "The Skatebirds" a year later, I didn't care much for this edited version. "I want the full-length 'Clue Club' back!" I wailed. My wish came true in 1978, but only for a few months.

So "Clue Club" was indeed one of H-B's more creative series. There's no reason it can't be on DVD.

On a final note, although I didn't plan on this, this thread is dedicated to Bob Hastings, the voice of D.D. RIP, Mr. Hastings. :(

Trivia Question 45: What was the rock group who performed at the rock concert where the Crown Of Deliria was stolen?

Answer: Banshee And The Frenzies.
    Last edited: Nov 2, 2014
    • Agree Agree x 1
  2. artytoons

artytoons Administrator I SUPPORT BCDB! Forum Member New Member

Dotty was always told that she was too young to participate in the investigations on location...but she always manages to make her presence felt either by two way radio, the tv monitor in the Clue Clubbers' dune buggy, and nonchalantly showing up when the suspects are gathered in one room with Larry providing the explanations to the solution of the case and with Sheriff Bagley (John Stephenson) providing the authority and the handcuffs for the arrest.

The mysteries were "whodunits" with multiple suspects with motives... the culprit was shown in silhouette committing the dirty deeds (usually theft and one pig kidnapping...and no murder), and Larry (voice of David Joliffe), Pepper (Patricia Stich), D.D. (Bob Hastings), Woofer, and Whimper would investigate the motives of each of the suspects and the locations where they were prior to and after the crime with help from Dotty (Tara Talboy) with her computer skills at home, and the final segment with the identification of the guilty party.

Note the character names LaRRy, D.D., PePPer, DoTTy, and (W)OOfer/(W)himper plus SheriFF Bagley...and the series title "Clue Club" with the "CC" logo. Double letters galore.

Woofer (Paul Winchell) and Whimper (Jim MacGeorge) usually spoke to each other in English but barked in front of their human pals...and suspects.

Nice twist on the Scooby theme.
    Last edited: Oct 30, 2014
    • Like Like x 1
  3. MattPriceTime

MattPriceTime Intern Forum Member New Member

While i do a full revisit when i can well umm revisit it.

Is there anything more to the story about the edited version on Skatebirds? It just seems a really odd choice. The rest of the show featured new segments and they chose to cut up an older show when they had countless other shows that would easily fit in the spot without any editing involved? Makes me feel like maybe it was a budget call more so than the original plan. Is it possible it might have originally been the idea to make new Woofer and Wimper segments but they decided they could just cut up the old ones at a lesser cost?