1. Big Cartoon Forum

You WIll Need To Reset Your Password!!!

We just moved hosts on this system, and this has caused a few updates. One is the way we encode and store the encoded passwords.

Your old passwords will NOT work. You will need to reset your password. This is normal. Just click on reset password from the log in screen. Should be smooth as silk to do...

Sorry for the hassle.

Dave Koch
  2. Big Cartoon Forum

Are You Just Hanging Out?

Just lurking? Join the club, we'd love to have you in the Big Cartoon Forum! Sign up is easy- just enter your name and password.... or join using your Facebook account!

Membership has it's privileges... you can post and get your questions answered directly. But you can also join our community, and help other people with their questions, You can add to the discussion. And it's free! So join today!

Dave Koch
  3. Big Cartoon Forum

Other Side Of Maleficent

I have been looking forward to Maleficent with equal amounts of anticipation and dread. On one hand, she is easily my favorite Disney villain, so cold and so pure, and I want desperately to see more of her and her back-story. On the other hand, she is easily my favorite Disney villain, and I would hate to see her parodied, taken lightly or ultimately destroyed in a film that does not understand this great character. The good news is that this film almost gets it right; but that is also the bad news.

4. Big Cartoon Forum

BCDB Hits 150K Entries

It took a while, but we are finally here! The Big Cartoon DataBase hit the milestone of 150,000 entries earlier today with the addition of the cartoon The Polish Language. This film was added to BCDB on May 9th, 2014 at 4:23 PM.

5. Big Cartoon Forum

Warner Brings Back Animated Stone-Age Family

Funnyman Will Ferrell and partner Adam McKay are working on bringing back everyone’s favorite stone-age family. The duo’s production company Gary Sanchez Productions is in development on a new Flintstones animated feature.

6. Big Cartoon Forum

Disney To Feast In France

The follow up to Disney’s 2013 Academy Award Winning short Paperman has been announced, and it will premiere at France’s Annecy International Animated Film Festival. Titled The Feast, the short looks to be based on the same stylized CG techniques used on last years Paperman, a more natural and hand-drawn look to computer animation.

7. Big Cartoon Forum

Renegades of Animation: Pat Sullivan

Pat Sullivan became famous worldwide for his creation of Felix the Cat. What most animation histories gloss over is Sullivan’s checkered past and longtime standing as a wildcat renegade. He didn’t follow the rules. And he made damn sure to fully protect his intellectual properties.

Art Davis - Animator or Director

Discussion in 'Warner Bros.' started by sidestreetsam, Jan 22, 2014.

1. sidestreetsam

sidestreetsam Moderator Staff Member Forum Member New Member

~ Howdy, Folks!

Anybody out there who can fill me in on the career of Art Davis? He contributed some quality animation to numerous WB cartoons but didn't quite cut the mustard when they gave him a directors slot.
  2. Dave Koch

Dave Koch Cartoon Admin

He was a director at Columbia, and they brought him over to WB with promises of directing. He was an animator for a bit, then he took over Clampett's unit when he left. Directed 30 or so shorts 1942-1946. Then they shut down the unit, and Art went to Friz's unit as a director...

Art was a fun man. I knew him for a couple years before he died. Threw him a big 90th BDay party. Art Leonadri and Joe Barbera came. Friz, Hawley Pratt, Phil Monroe, some of the other animators could not come and all drew him a GIANT B-Day card. But what I remember most about him was how much he enjoyed drawing. Any kids that came into my gallery he would draw for....

I used to bug Ruth Clampett about WB doing a WB limited for Art.... they finall did this one.... And I still have a couple low numbers from the edition!

[​IMG]
  3. sidestreetsam

~ Hey, Dave!

How fortunate that you were able to meet and get to know Art Davis. That was a pretty stupid crack on my part regarding his director skills at Warners. He obviously directed a large group of classic cartoons. I guess what I meant to say was he wasn't fully appreciated while directing at the studio which I'm sure had to do more with politics than anything else. Utterly amazing that you were able to throw him a 90th birthday party with all those legends involved.
  4. Zavkram

Zavkram Moderator Staff Member I SUPPORT BCDB! Forum Member New Member

Dave, I thought Davis didn't start directing until around 1948?
  5. Zavkram

Didn't Brody have a mustache in "Bowery Bugs"?
  6. saltyboot

saltyboot A Moderating Moderator Staff Member Forum Member

^ Yes he did. I didn't even notice that till you pointed it out. I thought something looked different. Lol.
  7. Dave Koch

Dave Koch Cartoon Admin

Yes, sorry, my bad. It was early when I wrote my response.... 1948 is correct!
  8. sidestreetsam

~ Howdy, Folks!

I believe "Mouse Menace", released November 2, 1946 is the first Warner Brothers cartoon directed by Art Davis.
    • Like Like x 1
  9. Michael J. Ruhland

Michael J. Ruhland Apprentice Forum Member New Member

I believe (Though not certain) that Warner Brothers cut one director's unit for money reasons, and since he was the newest they cut him.
    • Like Like x 2
  10. Zavkram

The late 1940's were the start of a leaner period for the major Hollywood studios. The Supreme Court decision that made block-booking by studios illegal was a heavy blow to the studios. That plus the advent of television (which had existed back in the 30's but had to be put on the back-burner during the war) meant a big loss in revenues from film distribution. Columbia shut down their Screen Gems Cartoon Studio in 1947, MGM disbanded the recently-formed Michael Lah/Preston Blair unit after they had made just a handful of Barney Bear shorts, and Warner Bros. disbanded the Arthur Davis Unit. Davis went to Freleng's Unit as an animator, BTW, not as a director.
    • Like Like x 2
    • Informative Informative x 1
  11. Yowp

Yowp Apprentice Forum Member New Member

Zav, the staff at Warners were told in May 1945 that Davis was appointed as a director (see Mike Barrier's "Hollywood Cartoons"). Due to a lack of Technicolor film stock, there was up to a two-year gap between the time a cartoon was made to when it was released. His "Mouse Menace" came out toward the end of 1946. "Bye Bye Bluebeard" and "What Makes Daffy Duck" stack up to anyone else's cartoons at Warners. 1947-48 was a horrible time for cartoons. Rentals were low and studios were losing money on them. Screen Gems shut down, George Pal abandoned shorts, the Lah-Blair unit at MGM was disbanded and the same thing happened with the Davis unit at Warners.

There's a high school student in Yonkers named Arthur Davis who won a cartoon contest sponsored by the Chamber of Commerce in 1921. I'm pretty sure it's him. I had found some references to him in one of the New York papers of the '20s but can't locate them now. Grrr.

Davis worked at the Fleischer studio in the '20s; he was Dick Huemer's assistant and apparently operated the bouncing ball in the original sing-a-long cartoons.

He ended up at Mintz some time in the late '20s and came West with the Mintz studio in April 1930. After WB, he moved to Hanna-Barbera as an animator and story director. He animated "El Kabong Jr." among others.

Yowp
    • Like Like x 2
  12. Zavkram

Thanks for confirming that, Yowp... I currently don't have access to my copy of the Mike Barrier book; so I was unable to check the facts. A gap between production and release dates due to the lack of Technicolor film stock makes perfect sense. I've seen maybe a handful of the "Scrappy" cartoons that Davis worked on while at Mintz and I've seen his credit on a few H-B cartoons, including some episodes of "The Flintstones".

Oh, and BTW, welcome to the Forum! [banana][dance] [party]

• Like Like x 1
  13. sidestreetsam

~ Wow!

Thanks to Michael J. Ruhland, Zavkram, and Yowp (Welcome to the Forum!) for fleshing out the backstory regarding this era of animation history. Art Davis was involved in the business his entire professional life and must have had some incredible stories to tell. He worked successfully for a lot of different studios... a major feat in that era when most artist's stayed close to homebase. I'd be interested in hearing any recollections of Art's time with Fleischer, Mintz and Screen Gems.
  14. Yowp

Hi, Zav. I've been here since Dave reconfigured the system (and on the old board before that) but I don't post a lot.

It's interesting comparing Variety stories in the '40s about cartoons being finished and then checking to see their release date. And you probably know one reason MGM closed its studio in 1957 was it had a two-year backlog of cartoons. It didn't need the expense of a cartoon studio at that point.

I gather Artie was given the opportunity to go back into theatricals at Lantz when Don Lusk left so he quit H-B, then returned for whatever reason before being offered a director's job (by Friz, I'll bet) at DePatie-Freleng. Artie really wanted to direct and was so bitter about not getting a chance to do it in the early '60s at Warners, he accepted an offer from Hanna-Barbera.

Back in the days before web forums when we chatted about animation on Usenet, Artie's nephew joined us and said how Art was touched by the fact so many people loved his cartoons.

Yowp
    • Like Like x 1
  15. Dave Koch

Dave Koch Cartoon Admin

You all DO know that Art Davis and Manny Davis were brothers, right????
    • Like Like x 1
  16. Dave Koch

Dave Koch Cartoon Admin

I can personally attest to this. While I generally try and keep my business out of the forums, it is germane (sp?) here. I own an animation art gallery, and sell animation art. One day in the late 1990's a guy calls up and claims to be an animator from WB and Hanna. I let him go on, not beleiving him at all.... until he says a few things that really cement his bone fides. So finally ask him his name and he says Art Davis. My jaw drops. He says whats the matter, and I say I know who you are, you directed Blah blah blah. He was perhaps more stunned than I was- he was blown away anyone would know who he was.

Anyway, we got to be very good friends. he would drop by the gallery in the afternoons. I would often have school kids drop by in the afternoons, too. He would talk with them... I would play cartoons he directed on the TV... the kids would just be all over him. He would draw them all pictures. He would talk about the "old" days. It was great- you could just see his energy levels rise. I am sure it was thereputic for him.

And for the kids.

But he was never egocentric, vain or anything. He was always restrained and proper. And funny. I do miss him.
    • Like Like x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  17. Zavkram

My banana keeps acting weird... must be a glitch with Adobe Flash.
  18. Pokey J.Anti-Blockhead

Pokey J.Anti-Blockhead Intern Forum Member New Member

I personally have liked Art Davis's cartoons, and it seems like they're among the most underappreciated by many fans even without knowing his name--"What Makes Daffy Duck","Bowery Bugs"," Bye Bye Bluebeard","Riff Raffy Daffy","A Hick, A Slick & A CHick","Bone sweet Bone": and the others are unqiue and inve ntive in my very humble opinion...

Steve
    • Agree Agree x 1
  19. sidestreetsam

~ Howdy, Gang!

Warner Brothers had a few family sets working in the studio. There was the McKimson brothers, Robert, Charles and Tom. Can anybody think of more?
  20. Yowp

Yes, Friz and Allen Freleng. Both moved over to MGM at the same time as well.

I can't remember how many Isings were at the original studio. Rudy and Max at the very least.

Someone may know how many Pabians worked at the studio simultaneously.

And then there were the Wood twins, who were assistant animators.

Yowp