1. Big Cartoon Forum

You WIll Need To Reset Your Password!!!

We just moved hosts on this system, and this has caused a few updates. One is the way we encode and store the encoded passwords.

Your old passwords will NOT work. You will need to reset your password. This is normal. Just click on reset password from the log in screen. Should be smooth as silk to do...

Sorry for the hassle.

Dave Koch
  2. Big Cartoon Forum

Are You Just Hanging Out?

Just lurking? Join the club, we'd love to have you in the Big Cartoon Forum! Sign up is easy- just enter your name and password.... or join using your Facebook account!

Membership has it's privileges... you can post and get your questions answered directly. But you can also join our community, and help other people with their questions, You can add to the discussion. And it's free! So join today!

Dave Koch
  3. Big Cartoon Forum

Other Side Of Maleficent

I have been looking forward to Maleficent with equal amounts of anticipation and dread. On one hand, she is easily my favorite Disney villain, so cold and so pure, and I want desperately to see more of her and her back-story. On the other hand, she is easily my favorite Disney villain, and I would hate to see her parodied, taken lightly or ultimately destroyed in a film that does not understand this great character. The good news is that this film almost gets it right; but that is also the bad news.

4. Big Cartoon Forum

BCDB Hits 150K Entries

It took a while, but we are finally here! The Big Cartoon DataBase hit the milestone of 150,000 entries earlier today with the addition of the cartoon The Polish Language. This film was added to BCDB on May 9th, 2014 at 4:23 PM.

5. Big Cartoon Forum

Warner Brings Back Animated Stone-Age Family

Funnyman Will Ferrell and partner Adam McKay are working on bringing back everyone’s favorite stone-age family. The duo’s production company Gary Sanchez Productions is in development on a new Flintstones animated feature.

6. Big Cartoon Forum

Disney To Feast In France

The follow up to Disney’s 2013 Academy Award Winning short Paperman has been announced, and it will premiere at France’s Annecy International Animated Film Festival. Titled The Feast, the short looks to be based on the same stylized CG techniques used on last years Paperman, a more natural and hand-drawn look to computer animation.

7. Big Cartoon Forum

Renegades of Animation: Pat Sullivan

Pat Sullivan became famous worldwide for his creation of Felix the Cat. What most animation histories gloss over is Sullivan’s checkered past and longtime standing as a wildcat renegade. He didn’t follow the rules. And he made damn sure to fully protect his intellectual properties.

Can a network cartoon substation work?

Discussion in 'Television Discussions' started by MrCleveland, Mar 22, 2015.

1. MrCleveland

MrCleveland Key Animator Forum Member New Member

Many people lately have been cable-cutters, people who stopped buying cable tv or not having it.

And many have watched broadcast TV or internet TV, but will there ever be a Cartoon Network-ish TV Station for the people who only have broadcast TV in the near future?
    • Friendly Friendly x 1
  2. Bill Lewis

Bill Lewis Animator Forum Member New Member

It may depend on how many large market local TV stations would be interested. Here in St Louis,we have Antenna TV,MeTV,and MyTV devoted mainly to TV reruns,with other substations showing old movies ,along with religious and shopping channels. Two stations,however, feature 24 hours of kids programming(Qubo and PBS Kids), a lot of which is animated. Perhaps some media outlet with a large cartoon library, like Classic Media,would consider starting their own network.
  3. Bobby Bickert

Bobby Bickert Inbetweener Forum Member New Member

Like this?
    • Like Like x 1
  4. Bill Lewis

That's it! Man, how did I forget this ? I could very well imagine a broadcast network with all these shows. Plus,since Classic Media is now owned by Dreamworks,they could eventually add movies to the schedule. Wonder if there's been any progress with this.
    • Useful Useful x 1
  5. Bill Lewis

Did a quick check of their website , right now they have about 40 affiliates,as well as being on some satellite systems.Hopefully they will expand to other parts of the country.
  6. Bobby Bickert

I see they now have an affiliate that serves the Tampa Bay area. But I don't know whether I could receive it since my living room TV was bought in 1989, and my bedroom TV was bought in 1979!
  7. Bill Lewis

Back when all over-the-air broadcasters were required to switch to digital, converter boxes were made available for people to connect to their TV sets to ensure reception.Are they still around today? Hard to say,a lot of the places that sold them are slowly closing down (like RadioShack).Some cable systems which carry local stations do also carry their substations,but apparently not all of them.Still,I see this as a very encouraging start.
  8. Bobby Bickert

My cable provider does carry Antenna TV (which is affiliated with Tampa's CBS station) and MeTV (which is affiliated with Tampa's NBC station), so maybe they'll eventually add this one. (Antenna TV was just added a little over a year ago, replacing a 24-hour weather channel broadcast by Tampa's CBS station.)
  9. artytoons

artytoons Administrator I SUPPORT BCDB! Forum Member New Member

Toon Disney lasted for a few years before converting to Disney XD. Cartoon Network usually adds new programming series and add hours to their Adult Swim block although I'm not really interested in the reruns of "King of The Hill", "Family Guy", "Bob's Burgers", and "American Dad" much during the evening.

The problem with the all-cartoon format might be how long the viewership can tolerate constant reruns of classic cartoon shows and shorts before the ratings drop and if any new replacement programming that may be added might "fill the bill" to maintain the ratings numbers as before...or get resentment for the "good old" stuff being replaced with "new stuff" that don't provide an adequate replacement. It would be a miracle if "new episodes" of older cartoon programming might be produced to boost episode totals that match the quality as before...even if the original creators, animators, and voice performers are no longer alive.
    • Friendly Friendly x 1
  10. Thinice

Thinice Intern Forum Member New Member

I know of one channel on pay television that has a kids block from 3 p.m to 6 p.m. The channel is what I call a fringe channel. Plays old westerns programs and also makes room for religious programs in the morning. The shows are Space Academy, Fat Albert, Waldo Kitty, The Archies, Mr. Magoo and Hercules. Not the best line-up but still nice to have some family friendly programming.

It would not be hard to imagine such a channel as Antenna TV used to have Saturday morning cartoons.

I see Artytoons point and it reminds me of the Odyssey channel before it became Hallmark. Odyssey had decent programming of cartoons and other shows. Then it became the Hallmark channel and the cartoon lineup disappeared.
  11. artytoons

artytoons Administrator I SUPPORT BCDB! Forum Member New Member

Cartoon Network had shown the various vintage Hanna-Barbera series off and on for a while when the channel started, but broadcasted the same 13 half hour episode series over and over again (call it the "Speed Buggy" effect). CN shunted the H-B classics to Boomerang and add newly created shows away from the Hanna-Barbera universe every year. There was that potential like the new episodes of the "Jetsons" produced in the 1980s to expand the vintage 1960s-era 24 episode total to 75...and having the good fortune of the original voice cast and some of the production staff being still alive at the time of the revival.

Unfortunately, no one at CN had the interest or the budget to create new episodes for other H-B programming except for "Scooby Doo".

Odyssey had the Filmation library on its schedule...but showing the same 13 episodes over and over again in a series will not endear the audience for a long term.
    • Agree Agree x 1
  12. MrCleveland

MrCleveland Key Animator Forum Member New Member

Only because Scooby-Doo makes money...it's a cash-cow franchise. I was never into Scooby-Doo, I prefer Yogi Bear but not many do...
  13. oneuglybunny

oneuglybunny Moderator Staff Member Forum Member

Also, broadcast television isn't aimed at any one viewer demographic. Their aim is to appeal to the widest possible audience: mothers, fathers, children, workers, stay-at-homes, young, old ... anybody and everybody. Whereas cartoon-only programming has appeal only to kids and enthusiasts, which is a much smaller segment, a niche market. As good as Nickelodeon and Toon Disney and Cartoon Network are at what they do, none of them can draw a headcount like CBS, NBC, ABC or Fox. And without that audience draw, advertisers and sponsors aren't much attracted, either.

Sorry, chief. If a cartoon broadcast station could work, it would have happened by now. But it hasn't, because it won't work. Reality tends to be Boolean that way. :/