1. Big Cartoon Forum

You WIll Need To Reset Your Password!!!

We just moved hosts on this system, and this has caused a few updates. One is the way we encode and store the encoded passwords.

Your old passwords will NOT work. You will need to reset your password. This is normal. Just click on reset password from the log in screen. Should be smooth as silk to do...

Sorry for the hassle.

Dave Koch
  2. Big Cartoon Forum

Are You Just Hanging Out?

Just lurking? Join the club, we'd love to have you in the Big Cartoon Forum! Sign up is easy- just enter your name and password.... or join using your Facebook account!

Membership has it's privileges... you can post and get your questions answered directly. But you can also join our community, and help other people with their questions, You can add to the discussion. And it's free! So join today!

Dave Koch
  3. Big Cartoon Forum

Other Side Of Maleficent

I have been looking forward to Maleficent with equal amounts of anticipation and dread. On one hand, she is easily my favorite Disney villain, so cold and so pure, and I want desperately to see more of her and her back-story. On the other hand, she is easily my favorite Disney villain, and I would hate to see her parodied, taken lightly or ultimately destroyed in a film that does not understand this great character. The good news is that this film almost gets it right; but that is also the bad news.

4. Big Cartoon Forum

BCDB Hits 150K Entries

It took a while, but we are finally here! The Big Cartoon DataBase hit the milestone of 150,000 entries earlier today with the addition of the cartoon The Polish Language. This film was added to BCDB on May 9th, 2014 at 4:23 PM.

5. Big Cartoon Forum

Warner Brings Back Animated Stone-Age Family

Funnyman Will Ferrell and partner Adam McKay are working on bringing back everyone’s favorite stone-age family. The duo’s production company Gary Sanchez Productions is in development on a new Flintstones animated feature.

6. Big Cartoon Forum

Disney To Feast In France

The follow up to Disney’s 2013 Academy Award Winning short Paperman has been announced, and it will premiere at France’s Annecy International Animated Film Festival. Titled The Feast, the short looks to be based on the same stylized CG techniques used on last years Paperman, a more natural and hand-drawn look to computer animation.

7. Big Cartoon Forum

Renegades of Animation: Pat Sullivan

Pat Sullivan became famous worldwide for his creation of Felix the Cat. What most animation histories gloss over is Sullivan’s checkered past and longtime standing as a wildcat renegade. He didn’t follow the rules. And he made damn sure to fully protect his intellectual properties.

Question About Winsor Mccay

Discussion in 'Cartoon Trivia' started by Dave Koch, Oct 31, 2013.

1. Dave Koch

Dave Koch Cartoon Admin

I've always read that Winsor McCay is one of the most important people in animation history, and that without him there'd be no Disney, Termite Terrace, Fleischier, Pixar, etc., but it's never been explained to me how this is the case. I know about his films like Little Nemo, How a Mosquito Operates, and The Sinking of Lusitania, and I can understand how amazing that Broadway act with Gertie the Dinosaur must've looked, but at the risk of sounding ignorant, what makes these films and their creator so important in animation history? What is the significance of Winsor McCay?
  2. saltyboot

saltyboot A Moderating Moderator Staff Member Forum Member

**From oneuglybunny:**

Wow, speculative history. Okay, Winsor McCay didn't "invent" animation any more than William Gates "invented" computers or Henry Ford "invented" automobiles. What these three pioneers have in common is that they took the concept into the public arena and demonstrated that it was marketable. If something has the potential to be profitable, it becomes very interesting.

Before Henry Ford, automobiles were built one-at-a-time, pre-ordered and paid for by wealthy customers, who would wait weeks or months for the mechanics and craftsmen to assemble their product. By introducing the assembly-line method, Henry Ford brought automobiles to the retail level: you pick, you pay, you get.

Computers and their operating systems had already been invented when Bill Gates came along. However, Gates created a way to translate the cryptic C:> prompt commands into point-and-click menus. Giving computers the equivalent of a pretty receptionist put Microsoft on the map.

Animators such as J Stuart Blackton, Emile Cohl, Lotte Reiniger and Vladimir Starevich had already produced animated works on film. The problem was that these works were known only to a few and seen by fewer. Animation was, at the time, little more than hobbycraft and geek projects. Winsor McCay showed that audiences would pay to see animation, making cartoons into a public and profitable venture.

Without McCay, there would still be animation. But the medium itself would surely suffer. McCay proved that animation is marketable, and by attracting money to it, McCay gave a tremendous boost to the medium.
    • Like Like x 1
  3. Justin Deveau

Justin Deveau Newbie New Member

McCay also had a very low opinion of the animation of his contemporaries in animation. He was award an achievement honer of some kind by his peers and used the speech to bitch them out about how they were bringing the art form down. Animation was looked at as a novelty. Many early animated films were little more then the Sunday funnies cheaply forced into motion minus the artistry that the comics artists lovingly placed in to them. McCay inspired people to make cartoons that were more than that. I think helped set the bar a little higher for animation.
    There is a book by Charles Soloman on the history of animation that talks about him and what he did of cartoons in the early chapters. I think that is where I read the achievement award story.
    • Useful Useful x 1
  4. peterhale

peterhale Moderator Staff Member I SUPPORT BCDB!

Previous animated films had been either crudely animated or simply drawn. The idea of producing 960 complex drawings for a minute's action seemed prohibitive. McCay demonstrated that it was possible to to do just that - although he made good use of holds and repeat actions. It was probably the film How a Mosquito Operates - McCay's first complete story film - that inspired Raoul Barré to start his own studio, one of the first two animation studios to mass-produce animation (the other one being Bray). For more on McCay, check out this post in the Other/Multiple Studios>Silent Animation forum.
    Last edited: Jun 28, 2014
    • Informative Informative x 1