1. Big Cartoon Forum

You WIll Need To Reset Your Password!!!

We just moved hosts on this system, and this has caused a few updates. One is the way we encode and store the encoded passwords.

Your old passwords will NOT work. You will need to reset your password. This is normal. Just click on reset password from the log in screen. Should be smooth as silk to do...

Sorry for the hassle.

Dave Koch
  2. Big Cartoon Forum

Are You Just Hanging Out?

Just lurking? Join the club, we'd love to have you in the Big Cartoon Forum! Sign up is easy- just enter your name and password.... or join using your Facebook account!

Membership has it's privileges... you can post and get your questions answered directly. But you can also join our community, and help other people with their questions, You can add to the discussion. And it's free! So join today!

Dave Koch
  3. Big Cartoon Forum

Other Side Of Maleficent

I have been looking forward to Maleficent with equal amounts of anticipation and dread. On one hand, she is easily my favorite Disney villain, so cold and so pure, and I want desperately to see more of her and her back-story. On the other hand, she is easily my favorite Disney villain, and I would hate to see her parodied, taken lightly or ultimately destroyed in a film that does not understand this great character. The good news is that this film almost gets it right; but that is also the bad news.

4. Big Cartoon Forum

BCDB Hits 150K Entries

It took a while, but we are finally here! The Big Cartoon DataBase hit the milestone of 150,000 entries earlier today with the addition of the cartoon The Polish Language. This film was added to BCDB on May 9th, 2014 at 4:23 PM.

5. Big Cartoon Forum

Warner Brings Back Animated Stone-Age Family

Funnyman Will Ferrell and partner Adam McKay are working on bringing back everyone’s favorite stone-age family. The duo’s production company Gary Sanchez Productions is in development on a new Flintstones animated feature.

6. Big Cartoon Forum

Disney To Feast In France

The follow up to Disney’s 2013 Academy Award Winning short Paperman has been announced, and it will premiere at France’s Annecy International Animated Film Festival. Titled The Feast, the short looks to be based on the same stylized CG techniques used on last years Paperman, a more natural and hand-drawn look to computer animation.

7. Big Cartoon Forum

Renegades of Animation: Pat Sullivan

Pat Sullivan became famous worldwide for his creation of Felix the Cat. What most animation histories gloss over is Sullivan’s checkered past and longtime standing as a wildcat renegade. He didn’t follow the rules. And he made damn sure to fully protect his intellectual properties.

C.L Hartman question

Discussion in 'Other / Multiple Studios' started by Dave Koch, Nov 3, 2013.

1. Dave Koch

Dave Koch Cartoon Admin

Umm, i know he had a son called Jacob Hartman who is indeed literally still with us, the only credits i have of C.L Hartman is at the earliest animating commercials for John Hubley's Storyboard Studios, at UPA on films like Ballet Ooop (uncredited) , Magoo's Moosehunt and Scoutmaster Magoo, at the Larry Harmon Studio (which was in reality a bought out Paul Fennel Cartoon Films) on the Bozo cartoons and the TV Popeyes, then arriving at Playhouse Pictures then doing commercials again and animating on H-B cartoons such as Yakky Doodle and Hokey Wolf, then truly arriving at Hanna Barbera in terms of freelance in 1964 drawing the animation and scene layouts for cartoons for mostly the action stuff such as Johnny Quest (designed by the stylish and talented Doug Widely), and at the latest seemingly finished his whole career working on Filmation's bilge.

BUT, i wonder where he started way before he arrived at UPA, I know Alan Zazlove was from Disney (being John Sibley's assisitant perhaps?), Barney Posner from Columbia/Mintz and Tom McDonald was from Leon Schlesigner Productions (probobly an inbetweener first, then an assistant, and eventually a full animator which like Fred Abranz never recived screen credit, i belive he was either a utillity animator who poped from unit to unit or maybe he was exculsive to one unit at Termite Terrace, if so which one? [​IMG] ), but i've got litteraly NOTHING backing up on C.L Hartman (one other i've got nothing on is Allen Wilzbach, who's early credits literally just show doing 'animation' at Hanna Barbera in 1960), anyone who was the exessive sincere truth and info to back it all up please do NOT hesistate.

I'll just cynically say that he was formely at Fleischer/Famous assisting or succoring animator Nick Tafuri, prove me false later if this is not it.

Biographical info has also been blurred and unknown as well: is he still with us or is he no longer with us?
  2. Yowp

Yowp Apprentice Forum Member New Member

Dave, I'm working on an Augie Doggie post and spotted your query in my search.

Clarence Lafayette Hartman, Jr. was born in Ft. Worth, Texas on March 20, 1916 to Clarence and Cecile (Moorehead) Hartman. His father was a musician who went to work at KMBC Kansas City, where the family was residing in 1930. This is confirmed by WW1 and WW2 draft records and the 1940 U.S. Census.
    C.L. was at Disney by 1939. The Disney reference is contained in Daily Variety of Dec. 15, 1941; C.L. had enlisted the previous July. Evidently he was either new or not used much at Disney. He made $700 there in 1939 working half a year.
    During the '50s, he illustrated books. Can't tell you when he arrived at UPA or what he did before he got there.
    He died in Los Angeles on June 26, 1985. Any other dates you see on-line are wrong; they're for a different Clarence L. Hartman born in Texas in 1916.

Yowp
  3. Yowp

Yowp Apprentice Forum Member New Member

Dave, I haven't done a lot of research but have gone through the Los Angeles Times and assorted census records.

Allen Jack Wilzbach was born on Dec. 1, 1929 in Ohio to Edward and Edna Wilzbach. He was the youngest of two children; his father drove a milk truck in Cheviot. The family came to Los Angeles some time after 1940. His parents were married for 71 years. Whether he's still alive, I don't know.

Yowp
    • Informative Informative x 1